R6 vs FZ6S

Smitty
This post is 6150 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

I hate to admit it though, but the SV isnt too bad, i had one for a month as a hire bike. Took me a while to trust it though :huh:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I has a look @ the SV yesterday for the first time, it looks nice, but ive heard to many bad things about it, like it's vibrations and rain getting into the spark plugs and doing bad things.

Had a look @ the honda CBR600 and it looks schmick! but it's like an R1 and i dont need to repeat 2 pages on thatl

THanks heaps for the help everyone, friendly fourm.

• 2 years later...

Hi there- I take delivery of my new FZ6S Fazer tomorrow (if they have the alarm fitted by now!! please please as the weather looks great this weekend) B)

its a 2005/06 model which I picked up for a savings of £1400 on the '07 model. hope i made the right choice!! it is brand new and i'll be first registered owner but i'm a little bit worried that maybe I should have coughed up (as in a very deep chesty and painful cough) some more bucks to get the brand spanking new 07 model as they've probably ironed out some kinks between 05 and 07. but I've not seen much evidence of this in my research. I hope that any teething problems from the new 04 model were fixed when introducing the 05 model.. i figured the savings would be better spent on a quality Datatool 'Green' alarm and a few yamaha accessories like a top box, engine guards etc.

anyway- back to topic- i had the same dilemma of trying to decide btw the R6 or the YZ6 and have been assured that for commuting etc the Fazer is the way to go. -the R6 is undoubtedly easier on the eye but as my first 'big' bike the FZ6S came very strongly recommended due to riding position and ease of use but with enough grunt in the perfomance department that as my abilities grow- the engine and perfomance will be there to draw on - in bucket loads apparently! I am extremely excited about riding it home tomorrow for the first time.

did you get your FZ6S in the end Smitty and were you pleased with your choice?

i take it you've enjoyed it so much there is no point in returning to the forum. I hope to come back soon to post a pic and to share some of my experience with the FZ6S as my first big bike. as a tool for research and to help settle nerves before signing on the dotted line, these forums are invaluable.

I'm wondering whats the real difference between these two 600's? and if it's worth putting up the extra bit of cash for it?

About 40bhp and a completely different riding position.

If you're using it mainly for commuting then you're probably best off with the FZ6 but if it's more of a toy for you then the R6 is the way to go.

If it were down to me, I don't reckon the difference between the two bikes is worth an extra 3500 but it's up to you at the end of the day.

The one thing I can say for this bike is........

I Wish I had the cash to buy one!!! wub.gif wink.gif

OOOOOH! NO...... ITS A HALF NAKED UGLY BEAST

R6 ALL THE WAY UNLESS YOU GO FOR A GSXR600!!

Im sure the R6 kill your wrists too blink.gif

YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW TO RIDE PROPERLY DUDE IF YOUR STILL HURTING WRISTS!

I'm wondering whats the real difference between these two 600's? and if it's worth putting up the extra bit of cash for it?

THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT BIKES AND I THINK YOU SHOULD STICK TO THE LESS POWERFUL ONE IF YOU NEEDED TO ASK A QUESTION LIKE THAT.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought another fz6 for the girlfriend (a 2005 blue and silver full GIVI bags) I ride a 2006 blue on black full givi bags and a set of sw-moto riser/barbacks) I was going back and fourth between the fz6 and the sv650 and sv650s. In my opinoin the only two main diff's between the R6 and the fz6 are the size of the throttle bodies and the riding position upright and laying on the tank. I have had the fun of taking my 06 on to the Nashville TN superspeedway (US) I was going 120mph with my girlfriend on the back in 4th gear. (you can go easily to 45mph in first gear not even coming close to the red line of 14000rpm's) By myself I was easily hiting the 130mph mark in 4th gear again togather we weigh around the bikes max load of 400lbs so R6 riders say what you want but change the throttle boddies and lower the handlebars to the tripple tree and minus the fairings you heve an R6! If you really want to compare the bikes side by side go to Yamaha's USA sight and you can do just that you can even compare different years of the same bike. The main diff. on that site rider position and tuning the R6 is tunned across the entire powerband and top end the FZ6 for mid range and top end this bike is no slouch and put 1000mi on it or 10,000 mi on it and the retail price when you get ready to sell is about the same give or take $100 dollars The FZ6 is a very popular bike...! HERE CHECK THIS OUT... http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products.../1/compare.aspx

From reading the reviews i have seems i can't go wrong with the FZ,

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products.../1/compare.aspx

Width:

FZ = 750mm

R6 = 688mm :rolleyes:

Definatly under the 10 since it's my first bike.

Very interesting, i always wonderd about the quality of the bike when i read a review that the FZ would leave the SV for dead.

U never know on the internet these days mate.

I wont be smiling if i get a ticket lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I've ridden a 2006 FZ6 every day for the past year -- commuting and weekend trips. Some of my colleagues from work ride the R6.

There is certainly a horsepower reduction with the FZ6 and obviously a different sitting position. But I can tell you that a twist of the wrist in 3rd gear up to the 14k redline will make you forget about the difference. I believe the FZ6 may have a bit more midrange than the R6, but the R6 would outrace the FZ6 anyday. (My opinion, anyway.)

I'm happy with the FZ6 and my original purchase choice was between the FZ6, FZ1, and Triumph Speed Triple. The FZ6 is perhaps an attempt to make a best-of-both-worlds bike and this doesn't always work. However, except for a clunky 1st to 2nd shift, the bike has surpassed my expectations. I've had to it up to about 105 mph -- 6th gear at around 9500 rpm.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online