YBR125 Gear Problems

Leefost
This post is 3395 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Just purchased my first bike, a new ybr125 and for the first 80 miles loved it!

However the last 30 miles or so the bike has had problems going into third. I give it a firm flick and nothing but resistance with the clutch firmly in.

This happens around 80% of the time and its very frustrating. It does however work second time everytime which i find very strange.

Also When going from 3rd to 4th somtimes there there is no feedback at all no click or clunk, it goes but feels as though it hasnt if that makes sense?

If anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated.

Lee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would say hello in the newbies section, check and adjust the chain and then change the oil making sure I had the right type and level before I did anything else.

Hi all,

Just purchased my first bike, a NEW ybr125 and for the first 80 miles loved it!

However the last 30 miles or so the bike has had problems going into third. I give it a firm flick and nothing but resistance with the clutch firmly in.

If anyone could help with this it would be much appreciated.

Lee

when you say new lee do you mean new to you or brand new if it is new take it back to the dealer if its still in warranty ,if not it sounds like you need to adjust your clutch or sorry to say this but it could be due to inexperience.

when you say new lee do you mean new to you or brand new if it is new take it back to the dealer if its still in warranty ,if not it sounds like you need to adjust your clutch or sorry to say this but it could be due to inexperience.

No thats quite alright, I have only been riding for a week and if its down to my inexperience then I would prefer that over a faulty bike. The only thing that worries me is like I said it was going fine for the first 30 miles, so I'm inclined to think the fault lies elsewhere. When you say adjust the clutch, how would i go about this? Also could it really be oil in a brand new bike?

• 6 months later...

I never use the clutch going up the box, :eusa_whistle: just going down,

I rarley use the clutch after 3rd gear going up,,,,,right speed and revs and click it up.

I would like to have a look at these YBR's to see what the problem is with there gearbox's. If there is a problem !!!

Me thinks there must be a nack to changing gear that the riders must get familiar with

a friend of mine just bought a 2006 ybr and got me to drive it home very smooth bike and smooth gear change nice little bike all round would any one no were id get a manual for it ??

• 7 months later...

Mine used to slip out of second and into neutral. But then I realised it was just my poor technique.

I bought my bike new, so it took a while for the gearbox to loosen up, but now it has I find it very robust. The first 600 mile service made such a difference.

+1

The first 600 service makes a big difference. However, the next one after is at 3,500 miles which seems an eternity. I had an oil change at 2,500 miles and the oil was terrible. The bike & gearbox felt a lot better after though.

I'm about 700 mlies away from my 3,500 mile service. You're right, it does seem like an eternity away!

+1

The first 600 service makes a big difference. However, the next one after is at 3,500 miles which seems an eternity. I had an oil change at 2,500 miles and the oil was terrible. The bike & gearbox felt a lot better after though.

Theres nothing to stop anyone changing their oil as often as they like, its likely to extend engine life

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry to add yet another post on this topic...

I am also having gear problems but my situation is slightly different. I've just bought a 2010 YBR125 with about 15.5k miles on it. The dealer who sold it to me said it had been fully serviced and for my first few journeys it has been fine, I've done around 200 miles on it.

Driving it last Sunday though it stopped changing down to first and now I can only get 2nd and 3rd gears. It made the drive home a bit difficult having to constantly ease off in 2nd and I'm sure it wasn't good for the clutch. If I try to chage down from 2nd or up from 3rd the selector moves but nothing happens.

I'm aware that the issue could well have been caused by me changing gear badly as I am a new rider... but can anyone offer any advice and or/recommend a trusted garage/mechanic in South London?

Thanks!

I guess there's a few questions first of all [to help figure out].

• When you change gear, do you skip any before releasing the clutch? e.g. going from 2nd to 4th
  • Is this while stopped or while moving?
  • How is your gear changing technique? Rolling off the throttle, clutch in, change gear, ease off clutch and introducing revs? [this is not an indication of perfect changes]. Does it 'bang' or 'thump' when you change?
  • How are the oil levels looking?

Don't worry about taking off in 2nd. If you give it enough revs, you can pull off in 5th safe enough.

On my YBR, I do sometimes have issues where it'll hit neutral, and downshifting won't come out, until I give it a firm push.

This post is 3395 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.