Re-jet?

paperback
This post is 4531 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well after the modified Jardines were fitted I thought I would not need to re-jet however the bike seems to hold back in top gear before clearing a couple of times. Its almost like a sticking clutch but its not and its only happened since the pipes were fitted.

Got it booked in with my mechanic on thursday but he says it may take a while to get the correct size jet fitted as we may have to try several to get it just right.

Is this right, is there not a standard larger size to use if the pipes are changed? Or am I just not mechanically minded enough to understand?

Thanks for any advice in advance guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey paperback, this might be useful:

http://www.dynojet.co.uk/tuningcentres-detail.php?id=246

May I ask, in what way have the Jardines been modified? Are they much louder than the stock mufflers? Do you get a lot of burbling and popping on the overrun (when you close the throttle)?

It may interest you to know that unless you also do something about the air intake, fitting any aftermarket pipes that are more or less straight-throughs involves a slight loss of power, and when rejetting to counter an overlean mixture, you lose a bit more power again. The place I went to has a dyno and rejetting meant losing one pony. Not that I can tell...

Thanks for the advice. The Jardines were only modified bracket wise as they come of a Honda Custom 1300. The cans themselves were completley left alone and still have the standard baffles in and Jardines do not normally need re jetting.

There is no popping or burbling, everything is quite crisp really. Whats frustrating is the bike rode to my mechanics so well I thought it had cured it so just stopped for a cup of tea then it did it on the way home, just the once.

I got up to 90 no problem and I am a bit lardy so was quite happy. I have heard you lose some back presure on changing the pipes so I guess a loss of the odd horse is ok, it certainly does not feel any slower but sounds lovely!

Would you recommend fitting a K&N then or equivelant?

I would primarily recommend taking your bike to a mechanic with a dynometer so that they can jet it proprerly for your current configuration without blind guesswork.

Fitting a K&N would mean an increase in power and a reduction in mpg. And you'd have to rejet again. So you need to decide 1) do you want to gain 2-3hp and lose a few mpg, and 2) do you want to do it now to avoid having to rejet twice.

hey paperback, this might be useful:

http://www.dynojet.c...tail.php?id=246

May I ask, in what way have the Jardines been modified? Are they much louder than the stock mufflers? Do you get a lot of burbling and popping on the overrun (when you close the throttle)?

It may interest you to know that unless you also do something about the air intake, fitting any aftermarket pipes that are more or less straight-throughs involves a slight loss of power, and when rejetting to counter an overlean mixture, you lose a bit more power again. The place I went to has a dyno and rejetting meant losing one pony. Not that I can tell...

From what I have read, its easier to simply upgrade to a larger bike. The hassles with re-jetting, airboxes, etc, for what little increase in hp you get, make me wonder if its worth the effort to drag more power out of a mid size cruiser.

To be honest I am not too bothered by the power, there is more than enough for a cruiser. I just wanted more noise, mainly for safety.

I will just re-jet and leave it there then. :spin2:

I wouldn't advise relying on noise for safety. I doubt it makes any difference to the plonker that is going to have you off your bike.

There is also the fatigue that you will suffer from the noise unless you wear earplugs. DID YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID? :D

To be honest I am not too bothered by the power, there is more than enough for a cruiser. I just wanted more noise, mainly for safety.

I will just re-jet and leave it there then. :spin2:

I concur. And whilst PeterC has a point, as long as you don't rely completely on noise for safety, you will find it does help! I've certainly noticed a difference in car drivers being aware of me, especially when I'm filtering, but I still get near misses with twitchers and other dozy fucktards! So be alert at all times, don't relax just because your pipes are loud.

And if after a while you decide your pipes are too loud, look up "smartpartz" on google. They make bolt-on quiet baffles for almost every aftermarket exhaust out there.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I may be a newbie to the forum but not to biking!

I have only once been knocked off in 29 years by a white van man in 86, just the once- touch wood etc, he was done for dangeous driving.

I am more than aware of what other road users can get up too, including most recently cyclists who go through reds and never use lights, I cycle as well and people seem amazed seeing me waiting at the lights..lol

The pipes are already baffeled and noisy but not too much. Noisey pipes save lives... :hyper:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online