Does this mean I have to give up riding dangerous bikes now?

DirtyDT
This post is 4531 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I became a Granddad for the first time yesterday morning. Does this mean I have to give up riding bikes..........................

Freya2.jpg

...........................or do I start saving for her first 2 stroke??

Born to my eldest son and wife, a baby girl called Freya.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

When I got one of those around 15yrs ago the thought of giving up riding crossed my mind, but quickly passed, although I made a consious decision never to leave the house on a bad word or without telling the family I loved them. However, 15yrs later I now face a dilemma, how do I feel about next year, when the 50cc machine being looked at in the window of the bike shop actually turns up on the drive???????? I very much run the risk of being Mr Hyporcritical, but we can't dismiss the facts........bikes are not safe, and we run the risk every day. I'm not sure I can allow that risk to be taken by people I love.........even though they do.......everyday.

congrats DDT, the first of many grandchildren?

I'm building a gilera for my son, he's not daft per se, but I'm going to do my best to train him as much as possible!

He might not even go for it, we'll see!

Congrats bud! :)

Bikers are not safe, you're right, riding on the bus isnt safe, crossing the street isnt safe either, only thing you can do is cover your own ass and take precautions (riding with lights on, high vis jacket, good quality riding gear e.t.c), pass on your knowledge of biking to the younger generation in he hope that they are better prepared to deal with the common situations we find ourselves in, education is the best form of prevention but its still not going to be 100% safe and never will be

Thank you all. I haven't seen her yet, I am going to drive down to Essex on Tuesday but all seems good. Being a baby girl was a shock. They don't tend to run in my family blood line. Only 4 girls from my mum to little Freya and there are 12 boys.

I have done the bike v Sons thing but they got into cars. A bit selfish of me but I love bikes and did rather hope that they didn't get "the bug" so I could feel they were safer, all the time I continued to ride and knew just how much of a buzz you can get. They have both been pillion on my bikes when they were younger and loved it. The youngest has done his CBT and I think that was the first and last day he has even actually ridden a bike. They have both been driving for 8 to 10 years so maybe the bike thing passed them by. Funny really as I had a full car licence at 17 and then went out and brought a bike a couple of weeks after passing my car test. Typical me, always do things ar5e about face.

congrats newman , as the grandad of two, i know in my head,,,,??????????? that you will always be skint :biglaugha:

she's a little cutie...

congrats newman , as the grandad of two, i know in my head,,,,??????????? that you will always be skint :biglaugha:

she's a little cutie...

Cheers Kev. I am always skint anyway :icon_wink: so nothing new there.

Congrats, she looks real cute.

Her birth has provoked some interesting comments about children following in fathers/grandfathers footsteps, by taking to two wheels.

Neither of my two girls has shown much interest, both mid twenties now, so I've not given much thought as to whether I would encourage or not.

The young take up a surprising number of activities these days, climbing/horse riding etc, which carry an element of danger. They do it because they wish too.

Perhaps the best approach is to let them decide for themselves when the time arrives, and encourage is any interest is shown.

I bet many of us have advised children to not do something, only for them to ignore that advice

great news she does as kev said look a real cutie my first granddaughter is due in febuary like you its been boys all the way in my family will be a nice change.

as for all the other comments about our kids riding none have mine have shown the slightest intrest so i have not had that the dilema on what to do unlike my dad who dispite being a biker forbid me to get a bike while living under his roof they are to bloody dangerous so at 16 left home and got my first of many bikes 49yrs later i am still riding, if they where safe maybe i would have got bored and stopped.

i learned a long time ago if you tell your kids not to do something they will go ahead an do it , as neversaydie said encourage them its the best way to make sure they do the opposite.

Congrats Dirty,,,,, hope all is well with the wee wan.

Do ya feel OLDER now that your a granddad :eusa_doh:

Congrats Dirty,,,,, hope all is well with the wee wan.

Everything is fine thanks 2wheels.

Do ya feel OLDER now that your a granddad :eusa_doh:

No.........................just poorer! OG says I should buy your minibike for her. Maybe in a few years and I had better ask her parents.

Happy times Dirty.She's a cute one.

As for the coments ref your kids riding, all my 14 year old son wants is a scoot, will he get one, of course, on his 16th birthday.

Bikes are not dangerous, his friend have broken bones at the skate park, does that mean I should stop mine going? My wife broke her collar bone horse riding, most of us have similar stories, most of us have lost friends in road accidents,6 years ago I almost lost my life through illness, I still ride now when I go I want to go doing something I love, if my kids go doing whatever they love at least I know they were happy, I may be wrong but ??????????

Any way Dirty just enjoy her and spoil her thats your new job!!!!!

Cheers mate. I have started to dress like Clive Dunn now :lol: . I saw her for the first time today, she is lovely. Luckily she doesn't have my looks!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online