And So It Begins,,,,, Mini Bike

2 Wheels
This post is 3731 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had a closer look at the forks this-morning in day light before work,,,,, and discovered that yes there is a circlip holding the stanchion in. It was hidden under a rusty washer,,,,,,,,,,so happy days.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastnight, both brake caipers got a doin,,,,,,,stripped,,cleaned,,over-hauled. There now back togeather and work propperly,, i'll have to dismantle them again though so i can paint them up !

CameraMiniBike005.jpg

Tonight, the bars got cleaned,,,,this isn't shiney chrome,,,they are stripped back to bare metal !

CameraMiniBike006.jpg

you conna drop a bit of oil in the forks just to keep them lubed?

I still have to pop out the circlip's so i can get into the lower leg's and free them up.

Got some paint the weekend,,,,,,,, ZG-90,,,, its got Zinc mixed in with it,,,,,,,hence me stripping everything back to bare metal.
Colours of choice are,,,,,Black,,Red,,Gray(bright)

I was told a long time ago never to paint cold steel,,, so all bits will be slightly warmed up with a heat gun. Paint can will then be taken out of a jug of hot water,,,,,,,,, spray like a mad thing is the name of the game then !

Bar clamps cleaned up
CameraMinibike002-1.jpg
CameraMinibike001-1.jpg

Mini Bike's plastics will be getting the chop too,,,, she will be more naket,,,, they are all cracked an broken anyway

Bar clamps are the first things to get a lick of paint

CameraMinibike005-1.jpg

CameraMinibike004-1.jpg

Thats all i done the weekend,,,,,, i was busy clocking up some miles on me DT,,,,, she needed a good spin ta blow of the cobwebs

I was told a long time ago never to paint cold steel,,, so all bits will be slightly warmed up with a heat gun. Paint can will then be taken out of a jug of hot water...........

Ooh be careful how hot Pat, i've heard that the concave end of the can can suddenly become a convex end with that method, make it warm water perhaps?

Ooh be careful how hot Pat, i've heard that the concave end of the can can suddenly become a convex end with that method, make it warm water perhaps?

Noted, OG

Warm water it is then,,,,Ta

Well, am still workin on her !

Am doing all the boring bits,,,,,,,, like cleaning small bits that youll hardly ever see

Things like this

CameraMiniBike005-2.jpg

Also sprayed the calipers

CameraMiniBike001-2.jpg

CameraMiniBike002-2.jpg

Finally got the lower legs seperated from the stanchions.

This was a real pain in the ass,,,,, the forks are so small,,,,,it made it really hard to get the circlips out. (no little holes in them to put in propper circlip pullers) Any screw-driver that would fit inbetween the stanchion and leg wasnt strong enough to pop out the circlip as it would just bend. Finally after some cunning bending and shaping on a nail,,,,,i got them out,,,thank goodness.

Im nearly finished cleaning them up !

CameraMiniBike004-2.jpg

CameraMiniBike003-2.jpg

Ok,,so i cheated on this bit,,,,,,,,,Mini Bike is getting new bake leavers.

Because of the type of calipers on the bike, they will need a good pull in order for them to work effectivaly. The old leavers would not be up to the task cause they were well fooked.

These new leavers are very strong and are adjustable,,,,,, for a kids fingers to reach them propperly they can be moved closer or further away from the bars.

CameraMiniBike006-1.jpg

nice one Pat, are the fork sliders alloy?

I think so Paul,,,,,,,there made of something shiney anyway !!

Keeping you busy pat,,, :spin2: , hope you got log shed full, thats the cold weather here, f*kn freezin here today,,, :frosty:

Keeping you busy pat,,, :spin2: , hope you got log shed full, thats the cold weather here, f*kn freezin here today,,, :frosty:

Aye Blackie,,, heavy frost here one mornin during the week,,,back to rain now again,,,, but bloody ele its getting cold these nights as the wind starts to come from the North.

Any update on your own wee project ? ya get electrics sorted.

Well the internals of the forks are now sorted, cleaned and all oiled up,,,there's now a nice bounce in them. There back togeather now and have got

there first layer of paint on the lowers. no pic yet as there drying.

Alot of small parts were sprayed at the weekend to,,,,,, feel like im getting somewhere now.

Saturday, i called over to me mate to see how he was getting on with sand-blasting,,,,,,,, they werent even moved from where i left them on his bench.

( dissappointed i was). I guess im last on the list of things to do seeing as its just a favor. Anyway he said he'll get cracking on them soon. Naa boather says I.

BUT as i was heading i grabbed the swing-arm,,, i'll do this bit myself i said,,,,,,should be easy enough.

So on sunday,,,,with me running out of things to be gettin on with,,,, I took to giving her a clean.

Here she is,,,,, pic's arent great i know but they are all cleaned back to bare metal.

CamMinibike001.jpg

CamMinibike002.jpg

ProjectBike15.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online