2 types of bikers

Nysmanxs400
This post is 4512 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, I've heard all around there are 2 types of bikers those that have gone down and those that are going down. As of yesterday I'm now the former. There I am cruising down my street going 30ish mph, when the soccer mom in a minivan pulls out to the right in front of me. I can barely swerve to miss her and there is a side street on the left I try to corner in to I lose traction mid-lean and now me and Maxine (my bike) are slidding. Not too far luckly about 3 or 4 yrds got a nice little elbow rash as I was able to get to my feet mid slide. And what does the bitch in the van do? nothing she was on the FUCKING PHONE! and didn't even notice. As for Maxine her handle bars are a bit off alignment, shifting pedel is bent, busted here headlight and mirrors. Not sure what's worse the fact that there wasn't much I could have done to prevent it or the fact that soccor mom didn't even notice how much danger she put me in. Ah well, that's all the rant I got in me now I've got to get going I'm burning precious riding daylight . . . what? you didnt think I'd stop riding :thumb:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

been ther nysmans" abait 35years ago.. And the police arrived at the scene , and said " you"d been speeding you little bastard" "On your way maddam " And i was charged ,,, The good old days Eh ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :eusa_snooty: makes you more aware,,, :eusa_doh:

There's a third type - The kind that never crash. There was an article on one chap who'd never crashed in 52 years of riding... and he didn't hang about, either. The journalist was on an R1 and having serious trouble keeping up!

You may not have been speeding, but often we are going too fast for the conditions. Just keep thinking, "What If" and ride accordingly. There are also times we literally could have done nothing. That's what insurance is for.

sad to hear that Bud.

Ttasky is right, be aware and note that the idiot in the car is on the phone with kids in the back.

In fact I stay away from school run areas even in the car!

Sorry to here about your close encounter with the one of the many fuck heads of the world, gladly you come off lightly tho!

I never go out on a saturday or a sunday and if the missus kicks up a stink about going out i very reluctantly do venture out as the weekend drivers are complete fuck whits and will always do any thing possible to gain an extra metre in the que which causes problems.

On the bike i am even more careful and in town conditions im ALWAYS on the look out for Mr and Mrs fuck head, and if i come into contact with Mr and Mrs fuck head they normally loose there wing mirrors as they obvisously dont need them as i never see them use them! And talking on the phone......well lets just say they are lucky that i cant reach through windows......No wait.....Yes i can!

Annabelle turned quite red in the face

As the biker said fuck you,such disgrace

Although it was terrible

It was not quite unbearable

She had taken the pill just in case

Very nearly got knocked off the bike not long ago as mumsy in small people carrier comes careening over the hill, which is also a bend, of a narrow road (cars parked on both sides) next to the local park, and totally ignores the fact that there is a big, fuckoff silver shiny bike (and a scooter behind me frantically beeping - has obviously had more practice than me in that regard!) me very much on my side of the road, and sticking to the side for dear life! No slowing down for mumsy, not even the tiniest flick of the wheel to avoid a collision; not on the phone, surprisingly, both eyes dead ahead, just jaw-droppingly oblivious! Oh yes, there are people out there who should not be allowed the use of a pair of scissors unsupervised, much less be in control of a large moving vehicle. And all this on a Saturday afternoon, with the park at its busiest. Mental.

Anyhoo, sorry to hear that Nys, but glad you're back on the saddle! Similar thing happened to me in Athens, a terrifyingly long procession of moons ago, knocked off my Honda CM200 by some dozy little old lady. I was doing about 20km at the time so no damage to me, but quite some to the bike. Man those forks bend easy!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but fortunately you seem to have gotten off lightly. Small consolation for something that shouldn't have even happened in the first place.

I've been lucky in the past as I've been on the road 22 years now and bar the couple of stupid locking up the front brake when I was learning, I've only been tapped once from the side.

It was heavy traffic one Monday morning going to work so I was sneaking down the outside of traffic very slowly making my way forward. I was looking for any twitchers in line, indicators on etc but it should have been fairly safe as there was only one lane going into the city centre.

Next thing, bang, my ankles on fire due to Mrs "Can't be arsed to sit in traffic so I'm doing a U turn and going back to the motorway" pulling out and smacking me. Fortunately being of the more mature years, she only pulled out about 10mph so I was hit lightly on the side whereas if it was Mr Boy Racer who'd just passed his test and had twelve mates in it with baseball caps and hoodies then I dare say I would have been across the bonnet.

I had a great biker solicitor who worked the case for me as I was always worried that I shouldn't have been going down the outside of traffic as so many anti bikers hate. His defense, " as bikers, it not always safe for us to stay still in standing traffic as we're vulnerable from behind so we have to keep moving". Don't you love knowledge and experience ;)

sad to hear that Bud.

Ttasky is right, be aware and note that the idiot in the car is on the phone with kids in the back.

In fact I stay away from school run areas even in the car!

I wont even walk around school areas, the idiots around here park on the pavement, they just pull onto it even if you are walking along it. There is a free car park a couple of hundred yards from the school for the local park but I suppose thats too far to walk for the lazy idiots in the people carriers and four wheel drives.

So, I've heard all around there are 2 types of bikers those that have gone down and those that are going down.

Like TM I suspect that the number who never have and never will far outweighs those who have, or will.

:blush: how feckin stupid am i, just after retrieving my malteser from under my seat ? i looked up and saw a very irrate biker giving me the V,

i thought WTF , i,ll smack the little fucker, ? then it sank in :blush: .

anyhoo , iff you had a close call in breightmet on the 7-011-11 and your one of our members , please exept my humble appoliges.

and keep your eyes pealed , as i have a bag of m&m's to go at next time im out.

Sad to here that bud! I got taken out by some foreign tit who pulled out of a left hander around mid day on a sat............same situation, silly wanker was on the phone, albeit a hands free device, but still not concentrating! i saw him out the corner of my eye swerved on to the other side of the road but his os bumper clipped my ankle and shot me on to the pavement! lucky i didn't come off, carried on with my day as normal then found out on the monday that my ankle was broken in two places! Rubbish! got a pay out though!!

lazy idiots in the people carriers and four wheel drives.

Oi not so fing genral if you don't mind i've got a 'bloody 4x4' and bloody hard it works too.

i agree with all the above, my condolences(sp?)... almost got taken out by some tw*t on the B4009 today, im wearing a full sleeved high vis jacker, riding a XJ with the headlights on with the addition of LEDs around the headlight, how fucking stupid are you?...

anyhoo, if you happen to see an '02 plate Kia sportage in your travels dont worry, it is your friend, piloted by a very unforgiving foamy (to car drivers that is, it has a bullbar and spotlights, instead of people thinking "ah its just another car, doesnt matter if i pull out/cut it up" they start to think "f*ck that, lots of metal, that could hurt my replacement hip")

mobile phones, tablet pcs, coffee, toast,newspapers, maps, satnavs, M23 07.30 am, average day, pensioners,school runs.???????????????? what f***kING chance have we got????