fzs 600 fazer 1998 struggles between 6-7000 rpm, need advice.

Adhamhski
This post is 4527 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, it's my first time using a forum.

Recently bought a fzs 600 fazer 1998. I'm not that clued up on motorbikes so I apologies in advance if I write or ask a daft question.

I'm having a problem with 3rd to 6th gear between 6 and 7000 rpm. When I'm in 3rd gear I can feather through 6 and 7000 rpm but the bike splutters and then seems to pull through. The higher the gear the worse it seems to be. From 6000 rpm when I full throttle 6th gear struggles to get past 7000 rpm at all.

When the bike is in neutral the revs can be cranked up to high revs. no problem.

Work that I have carried out on bike recently, as follows:

New aftermarket downpipes, oil filter, oil, spark plugs, spark plug caps, fuel filter, fuel cleaner,air filter, new carb inlet rubbers.

Work carried out on bike recently by bike mechanic, as follows:

Chain and sprockets, carb's stripped / cleaned and reset. CDI unit changed over. Mechanic said the jets are clean and in mint condition.

The latest thing that I have tried is fitting an original set of dwonpipes to see if that would help. It didnt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is starting to do my head in.

Many Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A few thoughts (in descending order of probability):

Leaky carb diaphragms

Main jets blocked

Ignition timing out

Valve timing out

Other than that - buggered if I know!

Yip adamski" when fitting aftermarket pipes or air filtres, The jets will need attention, A dyno jet. kit or something , :eusa_think: ,,, float levels are important when at wide open throttle ,

Hi Evereyone,

Took my bike to the local dynojet on Saturday morning. The problem was being caused by my aftermarket delkevic downpipes. The jets had to drop down 6 sizes from 115 to 100. The carbs also got balanced.

Wish I had went here in the first place as it would have saved me a couple hundred quid. Bike is running like a dream.

Thanks for all the advice, it was appreciated.

Cheers