got started on the repair- took photos-any advice pls

jimmythemoonlight
This post is 4437 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

C:\Users\Little Dear\Pictures\2011-10-30 yoc\yoc 004.JPGok , so all joking aside for a brief time, i got started on taking the rear cylinder off my xvs 125 , i was hoping to find a problem that was screaming out at me but i found nothing apparent, i did however notice that a few bolts and fixings were loose and the odd one or two the wrong size and cross threaded, not really a problem as i have bigger fish to fry (as they say).as i am a novice at this i really hoped to see unusual rough metal or something , i had looked at the oil detail hoping to find swarf or filings of any discription but nothing, good news on one side but that still leaves me looking for the problem. now this is where some help is very welcome....... so the inside of the piston is as smooth as you would expect , when i pull on the cylinder there is slight movement -is this normal? as for the cylinder head there is no play or movement in the valves -

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You need an account (free) with photobucket, there are other online photo uploaders I just cant think of the other names at the minute

some things cant be seen from pictures...when knocking occurs the worst case scenario would be a shot big end bearing, but how you have determined it's the back cylinder if that's the case is beyond me. its not a tapping sound then as the tappets?

tappets? pushrod stuff OG :eusa_whistle:

looks like the head needs a decoke, and poss the piston rings are not sealing properly.

what you should have done is taken a video before you stripped!

you now need to check with your manual how much play is allowed and if the bottom end can be moved up and down at all (that may indicate the knocking sound you can hear)

that's all I can profer up to now!

all the valves need to do is seal. look for broken valve springs as that helps seal them too. I'd decoke and lapp in the valves, which you need a valve extractor clamp ( or make one from a G clamp,google it)

Jimmy, try to move the con rod up and down to see how much play there is and if it moves where is it moving also look at the main bearings (crankshaft) to see if there is any play in that, there should be some small amount of movement in both but no more than a couple of thou, then look in your manual to see what it says about end float play and try to measure what you have compared to what it should be ( couple of thou is a guess) once you find out where the play is come back with the info and we will try to help out. Plus just because it sounds knocky from the back of the engine that don't mean that's where it's coming from so check both ends of the crank shaft, it might be an oil pump that is giving up the ghost and have nothing to do with the con rods or crank shaft. Good luck mate and let us know how it's going. Martin. :jossun:

Jimmy, try to move the con rod up and down to see how much play there is and if it moves where is it moving also look at the main bearings (crankshaft) to see if there is any play in that, there should be some small amount of movement in both but no more than a couple of thou, then look in your manual to see what it says about end float play and try to measure what you have compared to what it should be ( couple of thou is a guess) once you find out where the play is come back with the info and we will try to help out. Plus just because it sounds knocky from the back of the engine that don't mean that's where it's coming from so check both ends of the crank shaft, it might be an oil pump that is giving up the ghost and have nothing to do with the con rods or crank shaft. Good luck mate and let us know how it's going. Martin. :jossun:

thanks , as it happens i did have a tug on the piston earlier on (no pun intended) i must of been able to lift the piston a good 5mm up and down , is this looking bad ,?

Fraid so mate, should move but 5mil seems a bit loose, ok so that is one knock sorted and as you have it apart check every thing else out as well and yes decoke it while you can, don't forget to check the crank shaft as well while your at it one thing can lead to another I'm afraid. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online