xj600 no spark

willgree64
This post is 4548 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, just wondered if anyone could help with this one. I have an xj600 pre diversion, 1985 parked up last week running fine no problems,been away all week so put trickle charger on to top up battery,went to start up turning fine but wouldnt fire. Took plug out no spark while turning engine but noticed it would spark if ignition turned on and off which made me think it could be the pick up coil so i tested that with an ohm meter and it is within the figures in haynes manual i have also tested and cleaned all the obvious connections for continuity. Do you think the cdi could have died all on its own over the week it was idle ? the other thing is the bike lives outside with an ordinary cover on it i have heard of cdi,s getting damp/wet if it is cdi anyway any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks Simon.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the other thing is the bike lives outside with an ordinary cover on it i have heard of cdi,s getting damp/wet if it is cdi anyway any thoughts would be welcome.

I don't think this is the problem, I leave mine out in all weathers all the year round even in this recently very damp weather and it starts first time every time.the only time I cover it up is in severe weather. LIKE THIS.

IMGP0729.jpg

And this picture was taken in August.

Only joking, I took a lie detector test last night.

No I didn't !

After OG's suggestion of an ignition switch earth I would say it is an earthing problem somewhere else. The trouble is, where! I am not sure how many safety earths the bike has but things like, clutch, sidestands, kill switches all could affect this. I would disconect all of these first. check and clean the earth to coils and CDI and see where that leaves you. You have checked the pick up coil so the ignition (HT) coil(s) should be checked for Primary and Secondary resistance and then that leaves the CDI.

My SV sits outside in all weathers under a cover.

Thanks for the replies, its stopped raining now (13 hours non stop yesterday!) so i will go out and doudle check the earths etc,it will have to be ebay if no joy loads of cdi s for diversions on there not so much choice for pre diversion. Thanks simon.

Simon BEFORE you buy anything check the connectors on the CDI unit, when I checked mine last year the actual connectors were rotten and although they looked ok there was actually no wire between the connectors, I had to chop them all off and redo them. Plus 2 of the leaves? that form the connection inside the plastic surround were broken off completely. :jossun:

Brill, I'm glad it worked out well, such a relief. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online