Poss clutch or needs adjusting.... ?

Beanz
This post is 4534 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

up.yours, i know you are lonely, but this is bound to be in violation of your bail conditions :P

Its ok at least I have a pic up more than I can say for up yours.....what's he hiding....am wondering if the pic is his bird ;)

Lots of bikes do this. When you slow down try and pull the clutch lever in and out a SMALL amount as you change down. If the bike is in too high a gear when you have stopped, slowly let the clutch out so it just bites and then in and change down. Do this as often as you need to.

Adjusting the cable, as Foamy said, will also help. this is easy to do and can normally be done with your hand (no tools). Just remember this alters the biting point of the clutch when you ride the bike after this has been done.

Lots of bikes do this. When you slow down try and pull the clutch lever in and out a SMALL amount as you change down. If the bike is in too high a gear when you have stopped, slowly let the clutch out so it just bites and then in and change down. Do this as often as you need to.

Adjusting the cable, as Foamy said, will also help. this is easy to do and can normally be done with your hand (no tools). Just remember this alters the biting point of the clutch when you ride the bike after this has been done.

hey thank you....I sort of do that anyway its just a real pain when it happens esp if I need a quick get away :) Apparently its really common on the ybr, I am hopefully upgrading to a monster in spring/summer so may just have to put up with it, saying that its still under warranty for another year.

Well warranty it will be, done 40 miles today the last 10 miles were a nightmare I lost 1st and 2nd gear :( when I did get 1st/2nd the gears were slack and clonking like mad when dropping down Nearly dropped the bloody thing too, was stood next to it putting my lid on, turned key green neutral light was on fired her up and the bike obv was not in neutral and shot forward, I managed to catch it and stop it from falling right over only just mind u as I was trying to do me lid ...... :( Well I had a look at the clutch today way too much play in it I have tightened it up the lever is quite stiff now but is ok to use but its at max now and cant be tightened anymore so poss may need a new cable but at 4,000 miles hmmmm ? I haven't had chance to test ride it yet after doing the clutch will try tomorrow......

Well warranty it will be, done 40 miles today the last 10 miles were a nightmare I lost 1st and 2nd gear :( when I did get 1st/2nd the gears were slack and clonking like mad when dropping down Nearly dropped the bloody thing too, was stood next to it putting my lid on, turned key green neutral light was on fired her up and the bike obv was not in neutral and shot forward, I managed to catch it and stop it from falling right over only just mind u as I was trying to do me lid ...... :( Well I had a look at the clutch today way too much play in it I have tightened it up the lever is quite stiff now but is ok to use but its at max now and cant be tightened anymore so poss may need a new cable but at 4,000 miles hmmmm ? I haven't had chance to test ride it yet after doing the clutch will try tomorrow......

Did the cable get adjusted at the engine end too?

Took it into garage today under warranty they adjusted the clutch for me and test rode it, the problem is stopping in 2nd (if u suddenly stop when some prick don't indicate at a roundabout example) and the gears not dropping frown.gif its def better now its been adjusted but the guy can't warrant taking the gearbox apart he told me to drop the gears obv while moving and use neutral to coast upto roundabouts and junctions...wtf everything that goes against what I have been taught frown.gif easy way out for him..... but you know it does work but its not ideal.

Also spoke to dad ( a bike racer) he very strongly says wtf do not be coasting up to junctions he did say make sure I blip the throttle when I change down too,....... I tend to use engine braking smile.gif

I done 100 miles on it today on a rideout and my first port of call was the garage, like I said it works but its not a habit I want to get into esp when I go for my mods frown.gif

And when the guy uses the "well its a new bike to you " line it really annoys me I have ridden many bikes off road over the years so I am not totally stupid and have done over 700 miles on it now in 3 weeks and the problem has gradually got worse frown.gif .......

Am not sure if to push ahead and say coasting is NOT an option its a 60 plate bike I want it sorted ..................

and use neutral to coast up to roundabouts and junctions..

Definatley not !

I know that if you suddenly do an emergency stop it is a bit awkward to change down to neutral,

That way I tend to let the clutch lever out slightly until it bites then change down.

I don't think this is the problem in your case, but whenever I've had a problem changing down through the gears it's because of a faulty clutch bearing.

Take it back to the shop and make them eat it. Get your cash back and go to a decent dealer - if you can find one.

If it's wrong, it's wrong. Not he cant be ar5ed to fix it.

Kev your a sick man " :babyha: ,,,beanz " That Cable should have a little slack,,[ too tight and clutch will slip] under excelartion, take it to the dealer, , by the way i change up and down box without clutch,, its more positive,,, only grab clutch when stopping,

welcome by the way,,

by the way i change up and down box without clutch,, its more positive,,, only grab clutch when stopping,

How do you do that blackhat?

I've tried it but all I get is a crunching noise.

Perhaps the guy meant snicking it into neutral/first the second before you stick your feet down ie just before you hit dead stop, it is easier thna trying to find first/neutral without drive rotating. Nothing wrong with going down through the box (step changing rather than block changing) and using engine braking. If the bike doesnt allow you to do that, then Im with DT, you need to take it back and if the dealer gives you problems, take it up with yopur local Trading Standards Office, usually found at the County Council

, by the way i change up and down box without clutch,, its more positive,,, only grab clutch when stopping,

Haha yeah my dad says whats the clutch for (when he rides his bike), he races and don't use the clutch when changing gear as it wastes time, that 500th of a second saved could win him the race ;)

Haha yeah my dad says whats the clutch for (when he rides his bike), he races and don't use the clutch when changing gear as it wastes time,

So, what is the technique for changing gear without using the clutch?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online