New Dragstar 650 Classic owner - help please!

paperback
This post is 4423 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Got a 2006 Classic and got a couple of questions.

Is it possible to remove the floorboards and put the custom pegs on the front? I keep scraping them and the thought of touching down is slowing my cornering down.

Also has anyone done the 3-4 hole mod to the exhausts i.e. drilling them to incease the noise?

I would like noisier pipes but after buying the bike have little money.

Also would like to increase the bhp just a little to shift my bulk along - what are the options and i am confussed now reading about back pressure? In the past fitting an aftermarket can to all my sporty bikes and removing the baffle incresed the bhp?

Cheers in advance guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you could add a few bhb with new pipes, rejet, hypercharger and so on

dont see the point really, if you have gixxer fine, but its never gona add much, and gaining a tenth round a track isnt really the point of these bikes

yes you can get pegs instead of boards

there are plenty of people on the tubeyou who have drilled it out, there are vids of people doing it, the main problem with it if you do it, is noone is gona buy the bike off you when you come to sell it, cirtanly wouldnt buy one like that

although it does make it louder

Welcome to the club (i would stick up a intro in the new bee section of the site tho if i was you just to be nice and what not)

As for your questions.

Yes floor boards can be removed and replaced with pegs, my 650 custom had floor boards and other bollocks fitted and only took 5mins to do.

DONT drill your pipes! keep them and save up your dosh as when it comes for an MOT you will be shown the middle finger with after market pipes and standard pipes with holes in, i know they are shit but its for a reason.....keep looking on Ebay, i go my pipes for £100! nothing wrong with them but they are gunna have a different look by next year.

And as for BHP sadly these bikes cant really be tuned apart from the above from Fearless Joe, get new pipes and a rejet but the BIG diffence you can make to the performance.........DONT READ THE HIGHWAY HAWK CATALOGUE! get rid of every optional extra that you dont need! just like stripping out a race car, looseing weight will increase power to weight ratio thus making you go faster! my bike will easily do 95! till i get a head wind that is lol also with standard bars and with it being a cruser your riding possition is the same as a boats sail so one bit of wind will slow you down, so i would suggest fitting clip one bars lol (na only joking) but your riding possition will hindor your performance.

All the best

Keith

My classic has pegs so as already said you just need to find some and swap over.

Mine also came with the exhasut drilled by a previous owner, have no idea how long its been like it but not had any problem with it at MOT time, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in noise until its opened up, but maybe thats the same with the stock un-drilled setup.

As above!

Thanks for the good advice guys.

I am defo going to remove the floorboards and put pegs on and some slips on or straight throughs eventually when the moneys there.

Regarding clips ons - thats might help with my bulk - but am really enjoying the bike and have not managed to get over 80 yet but then do I need to with the wind blast and I hate the cruiser screens.

Oh have also done an intro in the newbie section - :spin2:

Drilling holes in the stock mufflers may produce a louder sound, but there is also the question of the tone and character of the exhaust note. The ones I've heard on youtube sound rough, raspy and brappy, not a pleasant deep rumble that would go with the look of the bike. I agree with the posters above, save up and get some proper pipes. Jardine slashcut slip ons are a not too expensive option at about £250. Check out custom cruisers dot com (based in Derby).

I know you said you hate screens, but they can in fact increase your top speed by reducing drag created by the "human sail" effect of the cruiser rider position.

Regarding clips ons - thats might help with my bulk - but am really enjoying the bike and have not managed to get over 80 yet but then do I need to with the wind blast and I hate the cruiser screens.

Lol Clip ons are a long term joke between me and my mate at work as he is fitting a set of clip on bars to his Buell n i said i should do the same........IF you design a chopper right and you have the back bone for it you can fit clip ons to a cruser (check out Russ Mitchells Exile chopper range)

Yes a screen will help with the human sail effect to a certain degree but they are also a brick in design as stream lining gose but im sure you can get a smart small one like the ones some triumph rocket 3's have (if you want a screen that is?)

All down to personal taste mate.....im into bobbers thus i remove every thing thats not needed. (hey i even ran my bike with no indecators, just point to where im going) loosing the crap as said will give you more grunt for free!

Just my 2p

I have a simple answer to scrapping the floorboards. Learn a better cornering technique. I can corner reasonably quick with my Dragstar and rarely ever have anything other than the tyes in contact with the road. And I'm no expert,( 45 yrs riding), just ride within the bike and my ability.

A lot of peg scrapping etc, is leaning to the 'Max', Not the same as fast cornering. .

Re exhaust, In NZ the law requires any aftermarket system not be louder than the original noise. Thankfully, most Garages put their own interpretation on that law. I thought about drilling out the original mufflers, but dont like the sound of similar efforts on You Tube. Once drilled, the mufflers are buggared,

I have a simple answer to scrapping the floorboards. Learn a better cornering technique. I can corner reasonably quick with my Dragstar and rarely ever have anything other than the tyes in contact with the road.

your years of riding make me look like a child

but thats just not true, i get taken the piss out of for how slow i ride a bike, i like cruuuuuuzing around, im not bothered about fast,

and even i have had the pegs scrapping a few times, and i wasnt going that quick on either occation. if the boards that someone else fitted to a bike are fitted lower then the pegs should be, or they are wider, or both, then you could be scrapping them with ease

it scared the crap out of me both times i did it, i dont like it

on a side note, i also get ribbed for having compleatly unmarked knee sliders on my leathers.... on my vstar lol

New cornering technique- maybe your right, this is after all my first cruiser in my 30 years of riding lol

I have to say though I did take a Shadow 400 round Cyprus that had no foot pads and I only touched down a few times in the Trodos mountains which has so many bends you just yearn for a straight road!

Agree with you fearless Joe- the thought of that metalic scraping is now making me nervous on tighter cornes or even roundabouts.

On looking at them today, they look like they will not be so easy to remove? The switchgear is fixed to the boards?

I heard the Classic changed in 2004 and maybe its now not so easy to change to pegs?

Re the screen, I love the open look of the road over the dragstar handlebars, adding a screen will to me detract from that feel, and I have had many faired bikes this to me is different - wind and rain (unfortunately) all part of the experience rather than tucking down behind the double bubble on my blackbird and moving to warp factor 2!

Good choice with the screen! ha-ha! no personal dig to those who have but i HATE looking at bikes with the highway hawk of custom shrome catalogue plastered all over them! waste of time and money in my opinion and a screen!! well thats just the stupid cherry on top of the shit hill.

Getting back to your pegs i will have a look through my haynes manuel tonight after work to see if there is any thing in there about this switch gear and to see if it complicates the change over (unless some one is at home now with a manuel that can help out?)

Im always hitting my pegs on round abouts and some times on corners but im gunna get my mate to spin some new pegs up on his laith that are a bit shorter so that i can solve that problem. Dont let it bother you nothing will happen just looks fucking awsome with sparks following you round every bend lol

Hi Got a 2006 Classic and got a couple of questions.

Is it possible to remove the floorboards and put the custom pegs on the front? I keep scraping them and the thought of touching down is slowing my cornering down.

Also has anyone done the 3-4 hole mod to the exhausts i.e. drilling them to incease the noise?

I would like noisier pipes but after buying the bike have little money.

Also would like to increase the bhp just a little to shift my bulk along - what are the options and i am confussed now reading about back pressure? In the past fitting an aftermarket can to all my sporty bikes and removing the baffle incresed the bhp?

Cheers in advance guys

got an old biker mate who may be interested it a straight swop for your boards for his forward pegs, as for pipes i've put a pair of straights on mine and the wife's sound awesome, loose the balance pipe between the pipes if you do it, kept one standard set for the test but mine went through with the straights on, look for Mikey dee on faceache i'll add you theres a vid on my page of the pipes, and only £40 a pipe for 19" turnouts, here's the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-UNIVERSAL-19INCH-TURNOUT-SILENCER-CRUISER-/120671023244?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1c188db08c#ht_694wt_1037

Those pipes look awesome mate, but have got some Jardines off a mate, although for a Honda shadow they are pretty similar bore etc so a mechanic mate is going to see if we can convert them tomorrow.

If not then I will defo go for the turnouts. The floorboards do not look like an easy changeover - I take it the bracket is all replaced as well?

Also can I just change the mudguards to the custom ones? I sort of prefer them?

Cheers

Well with some fettling, welding, cutting etc the Jardines are now fitted to the bike. The sound is great and it seems as though the bike is slightly faster with no popping or banging on the overun. Jardin advertise no jetting required and with them running so well I am not intending to carry this out.

Now I need to sort the floorboards to pegs - I think it may work out expensive as I will need new brackets as well.

just jumping in this topic my bad i know

i just got myself a 1998 xvs650 with the exhausts already drilled sounds ok but not deep!

never any problems with pat mot's(according to last owner)

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Well boards still on bike! I rang my local main dealer who cannot see an easy way of removing the floorboards without replacing, brake/gear levers and new brackets - we got to £400 before I stopped him.

My mechanic reckons he can remove the boards by cutting them off and make it look all legit with nice new pegs but I am worried this may affect any resale i.e. if someone wants a late classic they will want boards?

What do you think guys? Dragstars are so good to modify I am torn between making it perfect for me but worried it may depreciate the bike, confussede.com!! :shakeno:

your bike will lose money no matter what

change the bike to suit yourself and enjoy it make it unique

worry about re-sale whenever that time comes

some folks will pay more for something different as well

I don't understand why you can't just swap the boards out. Are these not the pivoted kind where you just knock out the retaining pins and insert footpegs?

Or do they have some weird kind of custom bracket assembly?

Need pics...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online