XJ600 pre diversion

willgree64
This post is 3235 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

bike004.jpg

New to the forum and just thought i would post a before and after picture of my bike.I think it had been left outside for years.

bike05001.jpg

On the road now but still needs some things wouuld like to restore it properly one day. Cheers Simon.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I used to have one of them, looking good, all you need is the belly pan for it.

good job there, if your restoring it later start collecting parts now. things have a habit of shooting up in price!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

I had wanted a bike for years, and decided at 32 it was about time I did, I wanted something cheap, bit of a project, and something I can make my own, so in anuary of this year, I bought an old XJ600 pre diversion, to strip, rebuild, and put my own individual touch to.......

I have trawled ebay for bits, stripped the bike, acid dipped and painted the frame, and I am in the process of building the bike back up, inbetween work and studying for my bike theory test......

Tonight I decided to see if there was an XJ 600 owners club, so typed it into google and clicked on the first link that came up, which turned out to me this thread.....

My eyes were immediately drawn to the first pic, and in particular, the reg plate..... MY BIKE!!!!

I am in fact, the proud owner of B680 SFA!

Progress has been a little slow due to massive work commitments, (start of the season is looming) and because when I am not working I want to spend time with my lovely and very patient girlfriend, Kat, who has been very supportive of my career and petrol headed ways...

I will try to show a few pics as things progress with the bike.... she was in pretty good order, despite having a pin hole or two in the tank, very badly set up carbs, a bad coil, and left in a yard that doubled as a small terrier's latrine.......

I am not doing a "restoration" with her. I have chosen to remove the fairing, fit a single "crystal clear" headlight, and XJ600N clocks, and I am in the process of painting her in VW Candy White. I apologise profusely to any who may scream of sacrilidge, but I aimed to get a bike that was cheap, and was not a particularly "cherished example......!

I am not doing a "restoration" with her. I have chosen to remove the fairing, fit a single "crystal clear" headlight, and XJ600N clocks, and I am in the process of painting her in VW Candy White. I apologise profusely to any who may scream of sacrilidge, but I aimed to get a bike that was cheap, and was not a particularly "cherished example......!

No apoligies needed Rob..... "Function before Form" always :yeah:

I dont know Airhead, I bought the bike from a bloke near Rugby, who I presume bought it from Willgree.....

Thank you Yamahead, It will hopefully be presentable and not repulse anyone!

The bike is progressing, and as the first round of our championship is now cancelled as of today, I may have more time than I expected to put into the bike..... :S

... :), brought a tear to my eye and lump to my throat...

I soooo wanted to respond to this, but you'd not speak to me afterwards

I soooo wanted to respond to this, but you'd not speak to me afterwards

I too was sorely tempted to respond, but thought it would be bad form for the new boy to behave like that.....

yeah,,, maybe leave it a couple of days and then come out with it :spin2:

well it was steak and BJ day, but that was for 1 day only Paul! :D

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Things have been a bit busy with work so I have yet to actually get on with taking my test, but the bike has been coming along nicely...... I am just waiting for the panels to come back from paint (trusted a mate of mine to do the paint, the only bit of the bike I havent done).

It is looking good (in my opinion!) and I think it is pretty tasteful, admittedly it is no show stopper, and doesnt do anything radical in the styling dept. but I will post a few pics up when she is built back up, as it think it will show nicely in the life of this bike, having now been saved twice from neglect/abandonment)......

Rob

WHAT !!!!! OLD DOG'S, you cheeky BAS***D it's half my age. OH yeah see what you mean parts are hard to come by!!

one owners view;-

http://youtu.be/pu22g6nbVYc

actually a nicer bike to ride than the later xj600 in some ways imo and I like the old school look of the upright cylinders

there is a comment above somewhere about them looking dates, that's true as its an 80's bike but again I like that type of thing,

weirdly it reminds me of Joe 90, Thunderbirds and even early Strar Trek around the back light on that last one mostly but then I'm a bit sad.

2vm7t7c.jpg