Crashed the bike

sinky
This post is 4563 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Its not too bad it'll take about £500-£600 to put right, but all my gear is wrecked about £1000 worth in all with the jacket trousers gloves and helmet taking a battering. I only passed my test this year and dont think I have anyone to claim of other than the council, due to a pothole in the road that never helped me but certainly was a contributing factor in the crash, mixed with me going to fast at the time.

Do you think its worth me claiming of my insurance for the gear and bits for the bike or just taking the hit?

I would assume that if I claimed then my policy for next year would go through the roof?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well what you gotta look at is your total outlay to get you back to where you were. If you claim on your insurance, it will be there for the next five years, so are you going to in the long run pay more through insurance than doing it yourself. Remember you also have your excess to take into consideration here.

Was the pothole that bad? Was it in a way intrusive to a road user? Did you take pictures? If your answer is yes to all three, then you could try claiming through the counsel for poor road maintenance. Especially the run up to christmas, i know its a long shot but its worth a try.

David

I'd take a picture with a ruler to show the depth. Hindsight will always say your going too fast.

see a solicitor, its free the first interview and they'll know if you have a case! in the meantime, you will have to get gear and fix up the bike, but keep reciepts.

Hope your OK?

Thanks, broken collar bone been out of action for a week, will be back on the bike as soon as winter has passed, the sooner the better. I got pictures of the wholes which are still there but I think I'll take a few pictures with the ruler there, then see a solicitor.

If ther are no witnesses to say you were speeding, and you didnt admit speeding to anyone, then as has already been said, stick a ruler/tape measure across the hole, take pictures of lenght/width and depth, and start complaining to whoever is responsible for roads in your area (usually the county council), make you local councillor aware of events. Consult a solicitor

Where abouts did you come off if you dont mind saying?

Outside my work. Dont think I made 100 meters before I crashed. :shakeno:

If ther are no witnesses to say you were speeding, and you didnt admit speeding to anyone, then as has already been said, stick a ruler/tape measure across the hole, take pictures of lenght/width and depth, and start complaining to whoever is responsible for roads in your area (usually the county council), make you local councillor aware of events. Consult a solicitor

Yeah there were plenty of witnesses, they are all work collogues, I was knocked cold on the road and the ambulance and police arrived. The ambulance took me away concious. I do remember the policewomen saying "big claim then." The lads at work gave a statement to the police that I came of due to the pothole. From what I gather the Police were only concerned it wasn't a fatality and never came out the car.. The bike and myself hit the road about 20 yards past the pothole though. Would that change things?

No... the distance you travelled is somewhat immaterial as the bike would try to right itself but the hole made you come off [unless you went stupid distance for the speed limit!].

You may feel you were going too fast but you probably weren't - more likely you're over thinking what happened and blaming yourself rather than just looking accepting that the massive hole you hit knocked you off.

As said above consult a solicitor - there are plenty of no win no fee one's (just make sure they get their fees off the other party rather than from any compensation).

Consult a solicitor and then sue the shit out of them!!

The council, not the solicitor ;)