Hello, Hello

This post is 4559 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, everyone,

My name is Boogaloo Dan (not!) and I'd just like to say hello.

I'm fifty-eight, have ridden all my 'adult' life (passed my test in '69 at the tender age of sixteen, and (big breath) have never owned a Japanese bike!).

It's not that I ever thought of them as unworthy but when I picked up my first machine (a '68 BSA Starfire), I was told by the dealer (at Rusty's of Scunthorpe) to 'make the most of it, because there won't be a British motorcycle industry in five years...'.

That kind of stuck with me. At the time my dad ran a CSR 650 Matchless, my mates all had British iron, and I'd just lost my girlfriend to Dave Dunk who owned... a twin cylinder 250 Honda (am I right in thinking that it was called a Dream?).

I eventually got a 650 TriBSA cafe racer, then persuaded my dad to lend me the money for a new Triumph Trident. Unfortunately, I then elected to go to university instead of staying as an apprentice electrician, and he withdrew the offer until I graduated; when I did, he said I could afford to buy my own bike.

Unfortunately by then I'd hooked up with a girl and her non-biker family who refused to sanction a motor bike at a time when we were due to get married etc..

I later bought a basket case pre-unit Bonneville, which I restored to concours condition, followed by a Norton Commando. Then Triumph reemerged as a force to be reckoned with and I've had Triumphs ever since.

Why join this forum? Well, last week I decided that my 251 MZ commuter, having 30 000 miles on the clock, deserved a peaceful retirement, and started looking for a 250 cc replacement.... Shock, horror, no bugger wants to make them anymore, not for sale in this country anyway. But then I stumbled on a 2009 Yamaha YBR 250 with 75 miles on the clock (yes, really). Not only did it look the dogs, but it also reminded me a little (go on, then, not much) of my much lamented 250 BSA Starfire.

I pick it up next week and am looking forward to having some fun on it going to work, and also on the odd jaunt when the weather's too bad to take my 2011 Speed Triple out (it's a keeper and I want it pristine forever).

Si' thi' all anon (as we say in South Yorkshire),

Boogaloo Dan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fantastic intro. Welcome to the forum.

The Honda was probably a 250 Superdream, commonly called Superslug or Wetdream where I lived. Popular then, not so popular now, that tells a story!!! Mind you, the Honda 400/4 was a bike to own.

Crackin intro Dan, welcome to the forum, you'll be right at home in here mate.

@DT 750/4 K2 :spin2: :spin2:

'Eh up lad" :welcome: to the mad house Dan

you frequent Lotherton hall at all for the VJMC show?

No, but I may well do in the future!

well bugger me another triumph owner,theres a few like us on here dan oldies from the 60s passed my test in 62 and have a similar background as you as far as british bikes are concerned kept my bonnie till 2005,bought my first yamaha in the seventies but still had triumphs as well. welcome

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online