Ybr 125 Custom Gearbox Issues

Joe Smart
This post is 4564 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi There, I own a 58 reg Yamaha YBR125 - Custom, I baught it from a dealership 2 weeks ago. It is still under its 3 months Take back for repair warrantly but i am to far away to get it to the dealership and get it done.

Im currently having a problem with the gearbox where i set off in first as i go up into second giving it a fair push as you have to it will click onto the neutral light and then off as if it was in second, About a second later it will slip itself back down into neutral and i end up giving the engine a fair reving off of it. Also the drop from 2nd to 1st gives out a rather large clunk sometimes, more than it usualy does.

I was thinking that perhaps there is a problem with the 2nd gear cog or the gear selector?

Any ideas and anyone else who has had that problem to explain it wuld be great help!

Thanks

Joe.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chain tension - check and adjust it. Then get a feel for your gearbox to make the 1-2 change a bit slicker.

Now do be a good chap and say howdy in the cunningly disguised New Members section, before someone offers you a sandwich!

Also my gear changes vary really, If im just cruising along then I have quite slow gear changes where i rest on the clutch for a second or so, Sometimes they are pretty swift and when i try to get what the baby 125 engine can give i make it as fast as i can. It mainly happened while going across roundabouts when im exiting so im wondering if that has something to do with the cause, I will have a look at the chain tention in a few Mins.

Thanks!

when changing down, pull in the clutch and just blip the throttle as you downshift...clunky gearchanges no more

this drop from 2nd to 1st always intrigues me...i've been riding for almost 30 years and cant think of many occasions when I actually do this! 2nd gear is good enough for just about anything and 1st is only used from neutral from a standstill start, coming to rest is always 2nd to neutral then stop for me...dead smooth

Ahh ok, I will give that a go, I am rarly in 1st gear as you said only when taking off from a stand still, I dont know what its like on other bikes but 1st gear is pretty gutless on it.

Thanks for the advice.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online