"As is" is ok?

Nysmanxs400
This post is 4567 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, I show my pretty little "Maxine" to my buds and they promptly say "you should get rid of your seat cover", "You need to paint it blue or red". "You should get one of those windshields and saddle bags", "It'll really look good if you had those handle bars that stretch your arms and lowered the seat like a harley". Like a thousand suggestions/critiques about what I should change. Then finally one of my best buds pipes in and asks "So, what are you gonna change about it" to which I say "um, it needs a tail light so I'll add that . . .yea that's about it". They bust out laughing . . . am I the only one who's fallen in love with their bike "as is"? I like a bike that looks like it's been somewhere saw a few things dodged a few four-wheeled-cycle-killers. The P.O. used a piece of carpet to cover the seat it's literally carpet and you know what? I kinda like it and it's comfortable to sit on. It's black plastics and the paint is gun metal black so no shine, I love it. I love the feel of the handle bars (the fit me just right) no higher no lower, the pegs are fine. I serously wouldn't change a thing about it (besides the tail light thats missing). So, am I the only one who's bought an "as is" bike and like it that way or am I delusional.

p.s. none of my buds on bikes (perhaps i need biker buds)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

p.s. none of my buds on bikes (perhaps i need biker buds)

Mistake number one!!

"None may judge of the craft, but the craftsman".

George Silver - 1598!

OK, my mate George there *was* speaking of swordsmanship, but the same lesson applies everywhere. If you want opinions, get them from people who know what they're talking about - ie Bikers, first and foremost.

Second - You'll find that any biker worth his/her opinion will tell you that their opinion doesn't matter and it's down to what YOU like best!

If you like the carpeted seat, keep it!

I've not seen one like this myself, so you have a very unique and cool-sounding set-up already. Out of simple curiosity - I would ask what you'd do if it was raining, though?

Personally, I went the opposite way to Kindest here - I started out with a pristine, shiny Cruiser all chromed up and gradually let it get a bit mucky (mainly because I rode most of the time and had no daylight left to clean it).

The mods I made were almost all purely functional, with the sole exception of adding a rubber cover to my rear brake pedal plate. I choose function over form any day and rather like the 'tacked-on' look. Eventually I will Rat this bike up and make it a proper "Does Stuff" kinda thing!

Bottom line, ride what YOU want to ride and the instant someone starts telling you what you "should" do... Tell them they should shut up or face the consequences!!

If they want to face the consequences, a good one is to drink them under the table on their credit card - They'll soon learn to keep quiet!! ;)

Truthfully I think the "input" of non-biker suggestions is down to the the bloody Discovery Channel and all their bike building programmes. They watch Paul Jnr fabricate a seat and that'll stick in their minds until the opportunity arises for them to say "you know what, I think you should fabricate a seat for that bike!" Personally I love "as is" and definately a carpet seat. I'd keep a bin bag with you at all times though for the British weather!!!

At the end of the day though, opinions are like a55holes, we all have one :)

I'd keep a bin bag with you at all times though for the British weather!!!

I doubt they get much of that in Dallas, TX :lol:

I doubt they get much of that in Dallas, TX :lol:

Ha ha, well spotted!

Yea, we don't get a lot of rain and it's still summer weather here but we did have a cold front it was like 70F (brrrr). It rained once while I was on it didn't really notice a difference in the seat but it dried pretty quick when the sun came back out. I'm thinking the carpet will probably keep my butt warm during the winter, which in texas we call "feburary" it gets to like 50F or 45F might even have to put on a jacket.

Come to England and ride in 10ºF!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online