XJ6 TYRES

monkeyjim
This post is 2704 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Going to order some new tyres .

Front needs replacing and back is starting to flatten off but has plenty left .

Best go for a pair .

Original set from when bike was new were Bridgestone BT021 , they were replaced by another set of 21's and now I am on a pair of Avon Storms . All sets manage 10,000 miles , I reckon the Avons are better than the Bridgestones .

I am thinking of going for some Pirelli's this time .

Feel like a change from sensible hard wearing all rounders that I have been using .

What are your experiences with Pirelli tyres ?

Cheers , Dave.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Shown a couple of biker mates my tyres and they say just put a front on , I have that much rear tread left .

One of them had a good front Pirelli diablo he took off his bike when he put a new pair on because the rear had worn out .

I know this is not ideal but i do know its history and mileage, thought it would be a good runner till the back goes , then I will buy a new pair .

This part worn Pirelli in the dry is far better to ride on than i remember the Avon Storm was new .

The Avon was better than the Bt021 in all weathers and temperatures by the way .

Will see what it is like in the rain . Should have some rain due as Wimbledon is starting shortly .

Shown a couple of biker mates my tyres and they say just put a front on , I have that much rear tread left .

One of them had a good front Pirelli diablo he took off his bike when he put a new pair on because the rear had worn out .

I know this is not ideal but i do know its history and mileage, thought it would be a good runner till the back goes , then I will buy a new pair .

This part worn Pirelli in the dry is far better to ride on than i remember the Avon Storm was new .

The Avon was better than the Bt021 in all weathers and temperatures by the way .

Will see what it is like in the rain . Should have some rain due as Wimbledon is starting shortly .

Nothing wrong with running a new rear with a partially worn front.

There are a mass a myths about bike tyres, many of which are just plain BS - for instance i've ran mismatched front and rears many times, on a few different bikes, with no problems.

At the moment I have a set of CST Adrenos on my FZ1 [£100/pair] and they seem great- and I ride quite hard; allegedly they are chinese junk, but they come from the same factories as Maxxis and use seemingly a decent sport-touring compound.

The XJ6 should give decent mileages even on stickier stuff - btw I had 021s on my first XJ6 and found the rear slidey in the wet, I believe this was due to the very, very round profile.

Yeah , I know what your saying .

I have had a licence nearly 4 years and take advice when given , my mate at work has been riding since late 60's , so if he says It will be fine I will go with that . As I stated the tyre was off his gsxr750 and I know the mileage and history.

I will try the Maxxis or the Pirelli's when I need the pair . A quick search found Pirelli at £150 . A lot cheaper than the 2 bt21 sets and the Avons I have got before.

Would be interesting to see how far this rear Avon does go . I don't cane the bike but I do not poodle about either so I cannot understand why I get over 10k from a tyre when others say they get 3k on a xj6 with same Bridgestone I was using at one point

. Reckon a nimble Street Triple is the thing to hoon around on not a xj6 . It's heavy compared to a ST .

I can say that as I also own a Street Triple .

It had done 3000miles when I bought i have not done a thousand miles, still has loads left on its Bridgestone Bt014 so cannot really say much about my tyre wear rate on that one.

• 3 months later...

Hi all ,

Bike now just clicked 34,000 and still on the rear Avon Storm , it is still wearing ok but cracking on sidewalls .

As I have mentioned in past posts , the bike or me seems to wear out front tyres quicker than the rear so I fitted a used Pirelli to tide me over till the winter when intended to put a pair on . The Pirelli went on during summer and is doing ok .

I am wondering whether anyone has bought tyres or can recommend tyres since the last round of tyre postings on this XJ6 forum thread .

Thanks , David.

I have never in all my time heard of someone wearing out a front tyre before a back.

I usually have to put on mabey 3 back tyres for one front

• Like 1

Hi, my xj6-s came with Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart's and have changed them both now after 8000 mile but still had around 3m left on them but don't like the flat in the middle so now on maxxis supermax diamonds and find them ok with no problems.hope this help.cheers xj6-s

• 3 months later...

Hi all .

Back in June 13 at 31,000 miles I reckoned I had covered 10,000 miles on my bikes 3rd set of tyres , it came with Bt021 , I then fitted a second set of 21's and they were followed by Avon storms . In October at 34 thousand miles the rear was still good but the front was on the limit and I replaced it with a part worn Pirelli .

I have just replaced both tyres , both were worn virtually to the limit , reckon the rear had a few more hundred but it was time for a change .

I fitted a pair of Michelin Pilot Road , a older tread pattern I believe but reviews are still good and M&P had a pair for £143 with postage .

Gave the bike a thorough overhaul ,dismantled brakes entirely , fresh fluid etc and big clean up . I sprayed the forks as they were looking rough . I used Upol etch primer , Unipart wheel silver and a Upol laquer we use in our bodyshop you can buy at Halfords . They look great now .

The bike was back on the road with the mileage reading 36,000 miles exactly .

Working it out , the 3 sets of tyres I have used average 12 thousand miles a set . There was the brief time with the part worn front Pirelli as mentioned in a older post but I reckon due to my slightly bent bars the front tyres are wearing harder on the right side of the tyre due to me leaning on that side greater . Many people say the Bt021 wear harder on one side of the tyre than the other but i have now had 3 differant brands on the front that all wear on one side more than the other . Must be my bars . i know they are out but others cannot tell . Time to replace them or try to straighten them a little .

As for the new Michelins , I like them more than the other brands used , covered about 250 miles now and am much more confident in the wet now .

David .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have covered just over a thousand miles on the Michelin Pilot Road tyres and am certain that they are the best tyres I have fitted to the bike .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi monkeyjim,

How are the michelin pilot road tyres going? I bought a yamaha xj6n 2013 just under two months ago, tyres are ok ish but im gonna put a new set on. was in between the bridgestone BT023's (225euro) and the michelon road pilot 3's (288euro) in my local shop (http://www.leehondacentre.com/tyres). You're comment is leaning me towards the michelins...

I only use the bike for the very odd commute and then leisure on the weekends, weather is shite in ireland most of the time and I'm too soft to brave the elements in the early mornings!!!

Read the whole thread by the way, good work!

• 3 weeks later...

iv had a set of the Maxxis diamonds on the firestorm, took a long time to scub in but they heat up really well and iv went to work on them and had a few trackdays and thought they were great tyres. rear lasted near 5k which i was pleased with.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online