XJ6 TYRES

monkeyjim
This post is 2705 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

My september 09 XJ has just turned 20thousand miles and is in need of another set of tyres .

The bt021's the bike came with lastest 10 thousand as has my current set of bt021's .

Bike is used for commuting .

Anyone else got a high mileage XJ and can you recommend a tyre .

Was thinking of trying another brand . Must be something that will cover good mileage .

Cheers .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That is good milage out of a tyre

The norm is about 3000miles

that is an astonishing mileage, the BT021s on my first XJ6 didn't last anything like that long.

As for replacements, any sport-touring tyre will be okay - i personally get whatever is on offer or has a decent deal.

In the ideal world, i'd run pirelli diablos, as on my fzr1000 - pirelli dragons and diablos always felt the best and gave the most mileage.

Its interesting to compare tyre wear from others using identical tyres on the same bike.

The other guys at work with bikes are also surprised at the mileage .

I was reading the MCN write up on the Maxxis Diamonds , they were favoured by the journalist but not other guys posting on the form . During that Maxxis thread on the forum someone mentioned BT021's and another guy posted they were shite . They seem to work for me ok . I commute on A roads and am not mad about getting myself killed going to work for someone so I am not at full chat everywhere , that and the fact I passed my test only in August 09 just before I bought the XJ may also account for increased tyre life .

Looks like it could be another set of bt021's .

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stick with Bridgestone. I have been a huge fan since I had my XJR 1300, and managed to get 6000 miles out of a back tyre... Was down to the radial by then, but STILL gripped.

I still miss that bike - did 35k miles on it in 18 months of owning it!

• 4 weeks later...

Too much brand snobbery with tyres nowadays. Bit like chav's having to wear certain trainers.

If you are happy with the tyres use them. OK so tyres are a real important bit of kit to us lot but you must feel comfortable with the kit you use and tyres are no different. I use Heidenau tyres on my race Triton - I can hear it now at the back of the room what and who are Heidenau ? - Well I can tell you after seasons of using KR 124 and the like I tried these tyres and have never loooked back. They come in sticky compounds even in 18 inch sizes do not cost the earth and are superb in all weathers.

I have also started using them on some of my road bikes and still they are superb value and offer predictable usage. If you ever venture over the pond to watch classic racing you will see Heidenau used on all sorts of kit including TZ's who at one time were the place to find KR 124's !!

We do not anymore thankfully have the old style Nitto no grip crap from the 70's. But saying that I bought a new TZ and it came with Yokohama's as standard ! but they were a direct copy of the old trigonics in the pattern and profile.

We should all share our experiences with tyres with each other but bear in mind we all ride different. We have been ripped off by tyre manufacturers prices for too long now, start looking at the alternatives and share data via the site.

i run whatever i can pick up on ebay, continentals tend to be the best for me imho, i dont get my knee down on the XJ so i run a harder compound to get more miles out of them

I have exactly the same question ref replace BR021 or change brand, as I have done 9.5k and the front has just started a really weird wear pattern (back still has loads), I had better look for the same tyre to replace it with!

I wanted to know exactly the same thing - I have done 9.5k miles and the front tyre has just started to show a really wierd wear pattern (back has loads left yet) and from the above posts its probably better to replace the BT021s with the same.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I wanted to know exactly the same thing - I have done 9.5k miles and the front tyre has just started to show a really wierd wear pattern (back has loads left yet) and from the above posts its probably better to replace the BT021s with the same.

Cheers

9.5k miles out of a set? Wow. Impressive... I'm on 4500, and my rear Dunlop IS getting a bit low... Then again, my old XJR would have chewed it up completely by now!

• 5 months later...

Judging by the replies with accounts of around 10 thousand miles on BT021's there must be something right with them .

This time I felt like a change and have gone for a pair of Avon Storm Ultra 2 instead of a 3rd set of BT021's.

Going well so far .

• 1 month later...

I have just over 3.5k on my tyres from new. I can already see the centre of the tyre going flat. I suspect I will need new ones in the next 4-5k at a guess

• 7 months later...

I have now got 8 thousand miles out of my Avon storm 2's .

Quite pleased with that , the rear has loads left on it but the front is getting low but still legal .

• 2 months later...

I just about scraped 8000 out of the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart's that came on mine. The grip levels have been good too. Mainly commuting mileage and the only time i had any really hairy moments were in either ice or snow when it doesn't really matter whats on, it's gonna slip.

• 1 month later...

Interesting reading about tyre choices since I really really dislike the Continental's my bike came with - actually the front is ok, but it's the rear I have issues with. It's utterly rubbish in heavy rain/very wet roads. Manageable in the dry and damp, but got caught in a monsoon commuting home from work last week and it felt like there was no grip at all. Even the dreadful original tyres that came with my Harley had better grip!

It's only done about 2,500 miles of 'sensible' riding and looks barely worn, but I really don't want to keep running it given the unpredictable English weather.

Anyone got experience of a good tyre that performs in the dry as well as in the rain? Needs to give a reasonable amount of miles (doesn't need to be a 10,000 miler) - I don't generally ride particularly hard. I guess I'm looking at a touring tyre?

Running Bridgestone BT023 on the SV. They are pretty good. 2 spells of heavy rain and hailstones yesterday, no problems. They haven't let go yet, wet or dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the BT21's the bike was supplied with. When they die I can get a set of Angel ST for under £200 or go for the BT23's I had the 23's on the old gixxer and loved them to bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , all

Reckon the Avons have done 10k now .

Still got loads on the rear but the front is very close to the limit .

The rear is showing signs of cracking around its circumference close to the rim , not a feature worn Bridgestones have .

Happy with dry and wet grip levels .

Anyone with great knowledge on bike handling and tyres tell me why it is always the front tyres I wear out first ?

I keep tyre pressures maintained and will admit to being a late heavy breaker when traffic and conditions allow..........having said that the bike has loads left on its second set of brake pads and it's done 31,000 miles. I replaced the original set with EBC green.

Cheers

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online