Write off categories

daglad
This post is 7016 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello again, can anybody help me with the shady area of insurance write-offs. I have the chance to buy a cat D write off. From what l am told some low life has tried to have it away and smashed the locks and scratched all the panels and generally abused it. My question is can l put it back on the road after a rebuild and will it get a Q plate. Thanks

<_<

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

If he hasnt allready replied to you, it will only go on a "Query" plate if the frame has been damaged or replaced, and only if the age can not be verified. Insurance catergories make no difference to a "Q" plate. Cat C+D are written off because not worth repairing. And A+B cant be put back on the road, with A you cant even legally brake the bike!

If he hasnt allready replied to you, it will only go on a "Query" plate if the frame has been damaged or replaced, and only if the age can not be verified. Insurance catergories make no difference to a "Q" plate. Cat C+D are written off because not worth repairing. And A+B cant be put back on the road, with A you cant even legally brake the bike!

Thanks for the info, now the bad news it's a kwack, but don't worry l won't be selling the R1 l just fancy a zxr1100

:D

a c&d cat write off can be put back on the road but must be inspected by your local dvla inspector,it is a strict mot! unless the bike has had a lot of mods you will either keep the original reg or get issued a age related plate,you will only get a q reg ig you cannot confirm the identity,age of bike or the bike has had so many mods that most of the original has gone

Ok Here goes.

I have had several insurance write offs and the schedule is as follows

Cat D = Light cosmetic damage, beyond economical repair to the insurers. You will keep the original registration and a V5 will have to be applied for. The vehicle will not require a VIC (Vehicle Inspection Certificate) and can be put back on the road in the usual manner.

Cat C = Moderate to heavy damage as Cat D but if its a car will require a 'VIC' Cat C motorcycles do not require a VIC

Cat B = Heavy damage, sold for spares to a registered dismantler only, can not be returned to road use.

Cat A = Total write off, must be scrapped by registered scrap merchant/recycler.

Hope this helps ? By the way all Category write offs will appear on the HPI register.

KEEF.

P.S. the VIC is not an MOT it's a verification of the vehicles identity, you can only have a VIC if you have a current MOT passed since the write off date. The purpose of the VIC is to prevent ringing, probably also the reason why CatC motorcycles do not require one, as bikes are harder to ring than cars.

The VIC is required to get the DVLA to release the registration documents.

• Admin

Just another thought to mention, there is also a points system where the frame/chasis is worth a certain amount of credit. Engine and stuff are also included but cant remember what is what... can anyone else help out here i cant remember! ... Theres a change :lol:

Hi,

Thanks guy's. It looks like if l stick with a cat D it should be ok. Also, the HPI register bit is worth remembering for future sale, but as l want to keep it no worries, so for now everything in the Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Team looks chipper

Thanks

Daglad

PS: Winter is starting to drag the old R1 looks more and more tempting!!!!!!

:D

Here's my Diversion 600. It was a Cat D and cost me £600, then a further £30 to fix :blink:

You can see the damage was only to the rear light and panels otherwise it was a minter. I sold it on ebay for £1350 and clearly stated it was a Category D write off.

The buyer said it was the cleanest one he had seen and gladly paid the cash in my hand, after all he saved at least £700 over a similar bike without a HPI history.

divvyright.JPG

• Admin

When my bike was wrote off it looked so minor, until they told me the frame was twisted! I thought it was just the wheel pushed out of alignment or a bent spindle! :o

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online