Petrol, In or Out?

slice
This post is 4549 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just laid the bike up for the winter and have about 3 pints of petrol left in the tank, from some of the other comments that I have read it seems that there is a case for leaving some fuel in the tank and for emptying it, so which is best? I was always thought that some fuel in the tank kept the seals and rubbers in good condition but having seen some of the horrible gunk that some peeps have in their tank after leaving it for a while I'm not so sure now, is it some thing to do with the amount of ethanol that is now in fuel or just crap fuel that we get here, any advise would be appreciated as I do not want to find in 6 months that the whole fuel system needs to be cleaned out, I don't mind taking the carbs off or flushing the tank but would prefer not to. :idea:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ive had my DT for 30 years and never had an issue with th 'IN' way

however....I recently learned to my cost (on my bandit) that sometimes the fuel in one or more carbs can evaporate and form gunky gel that may block carb jets....

It's still the 'IN' way for me though with the occasional opening of the fuel tap (prime) to keep the carbs full

Not sure only 3 pints is enough though, it may be best if all seams at the bottom of the tank are covered

Thanks OG, I have always thought that petrol IN was the way to go but seeing some of the horrors that others have suffered has made me think twice, your right I will bung in another gallon to top it up and as you suggest will flush the carbs once a week or so. :jossun:

SEE! that's what I mean everyone seems to have a different idea now, OG says leave some in and you drewps say empty it, back in the day fuel used to last about 12 months in the tank and if you topped it off with fresh stuff in the summer it was as good as gold but this stuff we have now doesnt even smell like petrol anymore and there seems more sludge/gunge gloop when it's left for about a fortnight let alone through the winter. The oil content was higher and seemed to keep the seals and washers much more flexible than this stuff does. So I'm back to square one with what to do over winter, I cant ride it in the cold, had cancer and one of the joys of surviving is you get all sorts of little reminders of how sick you were, so I will have to think this through again, although I still like OGs idea of keeping a gallon in the tank. Bugger some thing else to worry about. :crazy:

Surely the weathers not that bad in your area ALL winter? Try and take it out once a week and keep it moving when the opportunity prevents itself. Dont know about about your particular health concerns, but there is some good gear available against cold.

Enjoy when and while you can :lol:

salt lasts all winter its there even on sunny days, i'll grant you it's not around yes but wont be long now. I couldnt believe how early they started gritting round my area last year, by the time the snow came there was none left and boy did we have snow! :eusa_doh:

Thank you all for your advice, I am going to leave fuel in the tank and hope for the best, thanks OG sorry Drewps! :jossun:

Well i'm with OG on this one, my 175 has always been an 'in' bike, i parked it in march when the weather broke....and started it again at the end of September.

Was a real bugger to start, ooooh must have taken 4 even 5 kicks after priming. A suzuki i had though did the dirty on me twice with dodgy jets from crusty petrol.

I think its more to do with how you leave the bike, oldskool stroker habit of mine is turning the fuel off as i pull up and letting the bike idle for a miute while i take my lid off and such. That may cause the fuel to drop away from the jet, dunno.

I have learnt my lesson , brim it, if its only half full you have half a tank of air , the ethanol absorbs moisture hence the gel like gunge, if its full (no air) you have less circumference of the air to be absorb in by the ethanol oooh and a little bit of preserver

and drain your carbs, battery off and in a warmer place if it going to freeze outside, I normally stick all my batterys in the cellar there a radiator down there so it ok and then switch the optimate on between them

well thats my thoughts, but I am sure some will disagree.

I'm a "tank full, carbs empty" kind of guy, although my bikes don't really get wintered as I don't have a car!

If I'm going to be leaving a bike for more than a couple of weeks, I tend to turn the fuel off (or disconnect the vacuum line) and run the bike till it stops - tends to stop the jets from varnishing up.

Tank full with a good slosh of 2 stroke oil in it even if it's a 4 stroke. Run engine with fuel tap turned of till it stops, if no fuel tap drain the carbs but never ever leave fuel in the carbs. Make sure when filling the tank it is full not nearly full any air gap is a potential moisture trap.

The idea of draining the carbs had not occured to me (thanks) plus filling the tank so no air is a good idea as well, so many ideas about fuel who would have thought it?

The reason I have laid the bike up so early is that I am off to sunny Australia to visit my brother and will not need the bike for a good few weeks, any ideas about riding in Aus would be appreciated as I intend to buy a bike for when I am out there and go off on a bit of a ride about, bikes are really expensive out there so I will leave my Bro to sell it on when I come back. Going to the Nulabor plain and Ayers rock (ULARU I think it's called ) and lots of desert/highway cruising 3 or 4 weeks of sun scorpions crocodilles and spiders should do me. If any of you have riden out there I would appreciate any advice you might have about what NOT to do. :idea:

If I'm going to be leaving a bike for more than a couple of weeks, I tend to turn the fuel off (or disconnect the vacuum line) and run the bike till it stops - tends to stop the jets from varnishing up.

+1

The idea of draining the carbs had not occured to me (thanks) plus filling the tank so no air is a good idea as well, so many ideas about fuel who would have thought it?

The reason I have laid the bike up so early is that I am off to sunny Australia to visit my brother and will not need the bike for a good few weeks, any ideas about riding in Aus would be appreciated as I intend to buy a bike for when I am out there and go off on a bit of a ride about, bikes are really expensive out there so I will leave my Bro to sell it on when I come back. Going to the Nulabor plain and Ayers rock (ULARU I think it's called ) and lots of desert/highway cruising 3 or 4 weeks of sun scorpions crocodilles and spiders should do me. If any of you have riden out there I would appreciate any advice you might have about what NOT to do. :idea:

Worked out there for 3 years, hard to appreciate just how big Oz is until you are there, spent most of my time in Darwin but also in northern South Australia and north central Queensland. Do not ride outside the towns at night time.