YBR fork seals

arkive2097
This post is 4558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

My bike (YBR125 2008) is due for it's first MOT, and I gave it a quick check over. One thing I did notice was oil seeping out of one of the fork seals, so I'm guessing I'll have to replace that before the MOT itself.

Is this a job I could do myself? Or is it worth getting the local (!) bike shop to do it before doing the MOT itself? Bear in mind my access to tools has been limited, although could easily buy what is needed if it's easy to do.

What would I need if I tackle this myself?

For reference, I just serviced the back brake (seized due to dust) and also replaced chain and sprockets (quite easy IMO), so I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

as far as special too;ls you'll need a 14mm & 8mm Allen key and a very long T70 key.

a wooden broom handle can be used in lieu of T70 if you whittle it to shape.

you also need a seal hook, be careful not too f**k inner tube or smooth chrome.

i am working on mine and not having much luck with seal as I am continuing to get leaks. maybe not the righy size seals... not sure?

see for more info

• 2 weeks later...

I did this a couple of months back with the help of the future father in law, who is a seasoned engineer. Even so, it was still a looong job. It's not the difficult in itself, you'll just come up against little problems as you go through like the point where you ideally need the T70.

I would definitely recommend getting all the right tools. I didnt have the T70 and we were shoving all sorts down the tube to get some purchase. Also tried to do it without a seal hook. Reckoned a screwdriver and a bit of care would do but the inside of the tube got scored. We smoothed it off and it has seemed ok for the past few months but I know its there and I wish it wasnt.

As for the actual seal I just went to the local yam dealer. They love me there cos I constantly piss money into their pockets, but at least I was sure of the size and fit wich is one less worry

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online