XVS 650 engine swap

Venomauzz
This post is 3340 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

New to the forum and have myself an XVS 650 which has been bobbed.

Recently noticed a coupla oil leaks from the engine, one being the filter housing which drips on the wrapped exhaust and smokes like hell when I stop (easy enough fix with a new seal) and the other appears to be collecting on the underside of the engine where the cases join.

I'm a little more worried about the latter as it potentially means an engine strip/rebuild which I don't have the facilities to attempt, not to mention the loss of the bike for as long as it takes.

So I'm contemplating how difficult it would be to replace the whole engine/box with an XVS 1100 setup?

Anyone know if they are the same dimensions? or is it gonna be too much work and expense?

Cheers,

Auzz

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This has been asked a few times and I believe the answer is always no, they aren't interchangable.

IIRC, the 650 has a much smaller frame and the connecting components aren't designed to handle the extra power/torque from the 1100 engine.

Hmmm as I expected. Nothing is ever that easy.

Is there much of a performance tuning area for the 650's to increase the longevity of fun and power?

Mine is still a lot of fun but personal experience from performance vehicles means some day I'm gonna want more out of it!

Cheers for the quick reply Ttaskmaster.

Auzz

The words Performance and Cruiser rarely go together.

At 40HP on a 37 stone bike, I doubt there's much room for more than what it does straight out the box. Even my mate's 1100 with hypercharger and all that gubbins does little more. The standard 1900 and even the 1300 will leave it for dead.

Yeah I'm not looking for land speed records out of it... I bought it to cruise on after all. Just curious if upgrading carbs or the like is gonna give any boost later down the line.

I guess louder exhausts will just make it feel faster, so I'll settle for that!!

Hey mate you should have a personal message. Top right of the page up where you sign out ;)

• 3 years later...

Its a shame that you cant just switch the engines out as was thinking doing the exact same thing with my xvs 650 which iv just put up for sale as I want to upgrade to the xvs 1100 but I love the custom work on me 650 as its totally unique and would love to keep me bike and just swap engines and would have been a cheaper option than buying another bike but after reading the above comment looks like iv gotta buy an xvs 1100 and just customize that instead

Sniper it might be an idea to go to the NEW MEMBERS section and do an intro, that way someone could have told you that this post is ' 4 ' years old and not likely to get a reply. Look at the header mate, last updated in September 2011.

Especially since these days there are more options than just the 1100 to which one might upgrade...

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online