Barmy EU plans

NEV
This post is 4562 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As the title says more EU bureaucracy gone mad, this may affect almost every single biker in here.

Some links for 25th demo

http://www.mag-uk.or...gnsdetail/a6883

http://www.ridersarevoters.org/

http://www.motorcycl...topic-id=419262

http://www.halfway-h...iewtopic&t=1654

http://www.adventure...-september.html

http://www.arrse.co....our-rights.html

http://www.scooterin...ber-2011-at-1pm

http://forum.oldskoo...um=1314079627/5

Read the article taken from a forum

Pay attention to the fact that all they want you to do is go for ride on Sept 25

Sorry about the length of the topic but it gives the reasons why!

Attention to number 7and 4

THIS AFFECTS ALL OF US, PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO ITEMS 6 AND 7

Further to the meeting I've just had with the chairman of the committee of EU Internal Market and Consumer Protection (IMCO) I now have a better idea of what we are looking at as the Anti Tampering Regulation moves through the EU legislative process.

Amendments are on the table now and being discussed, like giving an opt out for special 'one-off' builders, (but only the British and the Finns want that) and also making ABS compulsory on mopeds too (Germans want that- or rather the German ABS industry wants that). When IMCO finally vote on this (4/5 or 6th Oct) it then goes to Parliament.

As this is a 'Framework Regulation' once passed it does not have to be transposed into Law in Individual Member States, as it will happen automatically.

So, as far as the 25th September Motorway Mayhem day goes, the 10 very real European issues that we still need to draw attention to are:

1- The Anti tampering Regulation: Specifically Article 18 which wants to stop all modifications to complete power train, from airbox to controlling the rear tyre profile.

2- Compulsory ABS. If we can't stop this, we must get a switch so that we have an option in difficult conditions where ABS doesn't function well.

3- Automatic headlights on- passing the blame for poor observation on to us.

4- OBD. On Board Diagnostics so that easy roadside checks can be made of our emissions and so that constant readouts of engine performance can be obtained. Expensive, complicated and with the threat, rather like a tacho, of identifying past riding style...

5- RMI. Repair and Maintenance Information. Rather than keeping it hidden and available for huge expense, there is a chance that manufacturers will be forced to provide ECU codes etc for a fee. What that fee is remains to be seen.

6- The very worrying article 52: "If systems, components or seperate technical units on a list in a delegated act to this regulation, have a dual use, for vehicles intended exclusively for racing on roads and for vehicles intended for use on public roads, they may not be sold or offered for sale to consumers"

So if your K&N filter can fit a CBR race bike and a CBR road bike, the best way to police that, is to make it illegal to sell the filter in Europe .

The Delegated Acts are the most scarey thing, as they are the lists and details drawn up by the unelected and we won't get to see what they are including until after the Regulation has been passed!

7- In solidarity with the French we will be drawing attention to their recent gov proposal to ban all bikes over 7 years old from an urban area and to make the wearing of day-glo/ reflective clothing compulsory.

8- Full sleeve day-glo clothing for riders and passengers has been proposed in the Irish Parliament too.

9- All these issues lead to the same thing, that we must take the blame for the incompetence of other road users. And while the emergency stop has been removed as a compulsory element of the car driving test, we are jumping through hoops with ill judged UK interpretation of EU licencing directives.

10- Another EU licencing Directive is on its way (3DLD) to step the bike licencing system still further and the DfT and DSA still haven't sorted even the consultation process, even though it is meant to be in law by now and enacted January 2013.

Plans for the day (25th Sept) are that all over the country riders meet at midday in M-way services (or suitable similar if there's no motorway to hand) and at exactly 13.00 groups of riders set off to ride perfectly legally at a sedate Sunday 45/50mph on the country's motorway network. Perhaps over bridges, near the confluence of other motorways etc.

The MAG and other websites will carry details of all the meeting places.

It's the simultaneous element that carries the weight, as even 50 bikes together will cause disruption, but happening everywhere across the country will be powerful and will have the traffic alerts discussing it. They'll be primed.

Riders will disperse as rapidly as they appeared, but after riding for a few junctions at below the speed the trucks use, our impact should be felt.

No need for marshalls , no one can go the wrong way.

No hot engines, no speeches, ride as far as you wish

One media contact number

The threat that we can do it again on a different day of the week will be established.

Our MEPs will be preparing to rubber stamp another regulation put before them. This time they may stop to read it.

Now I appreciate that this may be way too many words for your available space, but anything will be appreciated. If you could let the odd '25th September' appear subliminally throughout the magazine...

--

Kind regards

Paddy Tyson

Campaigns Co-ordinator

MAG ( UK ) - Motorcycle Action Group

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think our Brussels Government have got it right this time.

Get rid of all those nasty, smelly bikers and their rides. For the very few that are left they;

Won't have to worry about what colour leathers to wear - Yellow will be the only choice.

They won't have to attend rallies like Goodwood or squires - They will be banned from riding their bikes from their urban homes.

Compulsory ABS will mean that German bikes WILL rule the world - This serves us right for winning the war.

All that stock of non yellow clothing and aftermarket parts waiting to be sold so the Government can collect the VAT will have to be disposed of in a land fill site.

Stopping the emergency stop is a leap forward, someone may get whiplash. Think of all those car whiplash claims during the test, supported by the soft liberals, and how much money we can save there. Anyway, why practice an emergency stop when there is always a biker to use as a stopper? It will save car brake pads and allows people to lie and commit insurance fraud when they lie and say the biker was at fault.

Well done the Government, nice to know that you have approached this in the same manor as most of the other legislation you produce.

Below is a letter I sent to Mary Honeyball back in July of the Eu who is also against these proposals but still haven't received a reply.

Dear Ms Honeyball

After reading in the Motorcycle Media and online about the proposals by the EU Commision regarding Anti Tampering Measures for Motorcycles I thought I would write to you and express my concerns. As a former professional motorcycle mechanic and motorcycle rider I back up your concerns regarding the total lack of evidence that tampering / home maintenance increases emmision levels/accidents Also perhaps you could argue that this will also affect shops and businesses who sell aftermarket products and service items and people cannot always afford dealer prices for servicing and is why they do their own maintenace. Lastly, if this does happen will they be doing the same for car drivers who modify their vehicles by changing engine/exhaust components to increase performance, thus increasing fuel emmisions, fuel consumption and noise !!!

It seems to me that this is just another proposal to remove motorcycles from our highways without the same proposals for cars. Many thanks.

Perhaps some template letter which members here could use to canvass our local MP's etc would be useful ??

Perhaps some template letter which members here could use to canvass our local MP's etc would be useful ??

Only if they could read. They can't add either, have you seen the state of their expense claims!!!!

Now to add insult to injury, I've just read that Brussels are also trying to get through legislation, where insulin using type 1 diabetics will be made to give up their driving licences, of both car and bike, thank fook it doesn't include type 2 non insulin users, YET!!!!

Somebody please make this stop, it's all getting too silly.

I have signed it.

Me too.......

Fine, have my bike.

I'll be in a nice, safe APC, smashing the shit out of every mindless fecking blind, unregulated, bullying car driver out there.

Either I ride free, or I drive to win. Your choice...

MEP link ......... most useful! Now all I have to do is work out what on earth they are paid to do :eusa_doh:

I take it I'll be seeing you at Stracathro on Sunday then John?

Yip pete" am going to one of the runs,, either Kinross, or Stracathro services,,, depending on the other triples club members, [ edinburgh mob] where you leaving ?

at what time,

Yip pete" am going to one of the runs,, either Kinross, or Stracathro services,,, depending on the other triples club members, [ edinburgh mob] where you leaving ?

at what time,

Wee John reckons they'll group up at Morrison's about 12-ish and head up. I can see the Teuchters doing the usual McD's at Forfar and tagging along as the Dundonians run past, call it 12:30 or thereabouts ....

well ......im fucked then.......fuckin wankers! need to be shot! the lot of them! sorry for my "french" but it takes the piss! the world is turning into a dictatorship telling us what we can and cant do.

iv built my bike from scratch not because it looks pretty or it makes it go faster but because it works out cheeper and more relyable! i can get parts from anywhere and i can fix it myself if i need too saving me shitloads in the long run. if this comes in then i can say bye bye to my job my home and my life .........yeah fucking great idea...........pricks!.....

rant over ....sorry

why dont we go onto the gov website and start a petition ......should get over 100,000 names on there easy! then they would have to do something!

........................why dont we go onto the gov website and start a petition ......should get over 100,000 names on there easy! then they would have to do something!

Petition link in this thread a few posts earlier.

Edit

360 signatures!!!!!! We bikers deserve to be legislated off the road with that kind of response. I was going to do the Sunday ride but might be riding on my own. I think I will stay at home and study the bus timetables.

No wonder they aint signing , it gives a pop up of Apple spyware, and i clicked 5 times and nowt happend,, :madflame:

No wonder they aint signing , it gives a pop up of Apple spyware, and i clicked 5 times and nowt happend,, :madflame:

That a Barsteward, I am off fruit today :P

The topic is on loads of forums but I guess people are more interested in "This is my first post, how do I ..................................." Than protecting our religion.