Hello! Got a new bike...

mtripoli3
This post is 4604 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Ok, it's an old bike but new to me. The guy I got it from says it's an 1982 Maxim 650. The number on the crankcase is 4H7-102276; the number under the side plate says Engine Family: BYA065044 A6. Near as I can tell from research so far says this is a 1981. I'm going to tear it down to the frame and do a rebuild so I'd like to be sure I know what it is.

In the gas tank is a bit of rust inside. Anyway for me to remove this myself? I've heard of guys putting in fish tank gravel and shaking it around; not sure how effective that will be. Also I've heard about "tank liner"; again, is this something I can so or should it be sent out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike T.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Ok, it's an old bike but new to me. The guy I got it from says it's an 1982 Maxim 650. The number on the crankcase is 4H7-102276; the number under the side plate says Engine Family: BYA065044 A6. Near as I can tell from research so far says this is a 1981. I'm going to tear it down to the frame and do a rebuild so I'd like to be sure I know what it is.

In the gas tank is a bit of rust inside. Anyway for me to remove this myself? I've heard of guys putting in fish tank gravel and shaking it around; not sure how effective that will be. Also I've heard about "tank liner"; again, is this something I can so or should it be sent out?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike T.

Greetings Mike :welcome:

Engine is 1981 XJ650H

The rusty tank...I too have heard about the gravel although I have never had to do it so cant report on that, if it doesnt leak you wont need to line it will you

Some Garages that i know of in the States use a 30/30 acid solution to clean out rust out of the tanks. The bad news about rusty tanks is that once the inside is corroded a little it will almost always return. even if you line them that may last about 5-10 years but it will need it again. best thing to do is to buy a new tank when you get the chance.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I searched around and found "Metal Rescue". It's available for $25 a gallon from Menards here in Wichita. I put two gallons in and keep moving the tank around. So far it looks really really good. I'm going to dump it tomorrow and put in some oil dry (the kitty litter stuff, that's how I got the last of the bad gas out). I pulled the carbs off and one of the floats was stuck a bit. I'm going to rebuild those and run the engine a bit. Then it's a complete strip down. I'm bringing the frame into a local guy and having it media blasted and powder coated.

Here's a picture:

Yamaha_1981_Maxim_650a.jpg

Mike T.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online