78 dt 175 kickstart help

wlf89
This post is 4560 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

does anyone know of any other kickstarts that will fit my bike that is more beefier i have done broke 2 of them where they slide into the bracket and pivot. i drilled out the dowels and welded a bolt in them for a new dowel but have broke them to. i would like ot have one that just bolts directly to the shaft and pivots at the top where you foot goes do they make this type that will fit my bike?im sure other brands fit it also.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Could you not adopt a better starting technique, you shouldn't need to kick it that hard. I can start my 250 by hand and so long as i do it right my 175 goes easily (although not by hand).

Hi

I agree with Cynic, I have in the past broke off the top of my kick start on my twin shock, all because it was difficult to get it to fire up , I was swinging my leg at it like a mad freak.

Since that affair back in the seventies,I have learned my lesson and always been very gentle with the kick start, I now take the opinion that so long as the engine is turned over fast enough to produce a spark then it should start providing the ignition, fuel and compression are all correct.

Jesus, anyone would think youve mistaken your DT for a BSA Goldstar!!

Or an XT500

Mo, if he'd mistaken it for an XT500, wouldn't be after new kick-start lever; he'd want a new ankle.... maybe a leg!

Thats why god then went and invented the XT600eeeeeeee :spin2:

Thats why god then went and invented the XT600eeeeeeee :spin2:

Only as an admission of fallibility...... and as the XT500 stood, Darwin was getting FAR too much credit.......

But your still kicking it too hard....

I've had my DT over 20 years and been pretty pissed at it sometimes off road, wet, cold, bruised, etc but i have never managed to bust a kick start.

My lad and his mates the same with their kickstart mechanisms on their scooters, the endless times they've buggered the up the kickstart cogs and stripped the teeth from the half moons, for being to harsh with them.

Methinks they need to watch one of those old, black and white Pathe film productions, on "correct methods of engaging the kickstart mechanism" as shown by Mr Jeremy Barrington- Smythe.DFC.DSM,KFC

My lad and his mates the same with their kickstart mechanisms on their scooters, the endless times they've buggered the up the kickstart cogs and stripped the teeth from the half moons, for being to harsh with them.

I'd have to agree, sounds like the OP is flailing away like a man possessed, whereas all that's needed is a good old-fashioned 'long swinging kick' - once you learn it, you wonder how you ever managed to start a bike before!

Methinks they need to watch one of those old, black and white Pathe film productions, on "correct methods of engaging the kickstart mechanism" as shown by Mr Jeremy Barrington- Smythe.DFC.DSM,KFC

Like this?

Watch a master at work - ease up to and just over TDC, then an easy swing, no jabbing, jarring or leaping involved, just a lovely noise. Enjoy!

I'd have to agree, sounds like the OP is flailing away like a man possessed, whereas all that's needed is a good old-fashioned 'long swinging kick' - once you learn it, you wonder how you ever managed to start a bike before!

Like this?

Watch a master at work - ease up to and just over TDC, then an easy swing, no jabbing, jarring or leaping involved, just a lovely noise. Enjoy!

This is on a relevent bike, even starts it by hand,

my moneys on pattern kick start,ive had two and one bent with one kick,never even made the full swing,foot slipped off as it bent,genuine only from now on.

• 2 weeks later...