dtr125 speedo cdi derestricting problem

DT125r Owner
This post is 4581 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

so after stupidly letting my friend try to derestrict my bike he decided to cut the cdi cable and now my neutrol light and indecators dont work unless my bike is running

so now here's my question i've lost the original metal rod that connected the two wires together and can i buy a replacement online or can i botch it with a nail or somthing? and did cutting it affect my battery power to the bike when the ignition key is turned on

thanks louis.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nothing at all will run of the battery with only the ignition turned on and if my bike is ticking over my lights go all dim and if i use my horn my bike stalls (on tickover only)

and do you know anywhere i can buy most parts for my bike like the cdi metal bar and stuff like the pins that hold down the speedo to the bike?

thanks for replying i really want to fix it :L

nothing at all will run of the battery with only the ignition turned on and if my bike is ticking over my lights go all dim and if i use my horn my bike stalls (on tickover only)

and do you know anywhere i can buy most parts for my bike like the cdi metal bar and stuff like the pins that hold down the speedo to the bike?

thanks for replying i really want to fix it :L

Not sure what you are saying here...do you mean bullet connectors?

is that what their called sorry im usless with part names its those rubber plugs which are held in place by small metal pins which holds the speedo and rev meter to the bike at the moment i have taped it down but they keep moving out of place. and do you know what the name is for the little metal rod that connect the two cables together which plug into the speedo to restrict it

i've searched on the internet but i'vr had no luck probably becuase im using the wrong names :P

This is what i meant by the pins that hold down the speedo

70296757.jpg

43343314.jpg

and this is what i meant about the wire being cut originally the red wire was connected to the plastic thing with the brown wire and there was a metal rod connecting them which i have lost

18478731.jpg

79193555.jpg

thanks

Looks like the muppet cut the 'Live' feed to you keyswitch!!!

You need to buy some male and female bullet connectors and a special crimp tool for them. give Yambits a ring and they will supply all.

if you do fit bullets make sure you fit the male to the switch end and the female to the live end, disconnect your fuse while you work on it and dont forget to fit the insulating covers for each end over it all.

The little clips are 'R' clips, have a word with yambits and they will supply these also.

that white thing is a reed switch, its a speed limiter, if it is tucked away somewhere instead of in the speedo it wont limit the speed.

SpeedoReedSwitch.jpg

oh my god thank you so much and is a bullet connector really needed cant i just connect the two wires directly and do you think my fuses would of blown if it was cut while it was off?

and which wire is the live one, red and the other one is brown and about the crimping tool does it need to be specific or can i just use a pair of pliers?

oh my god thank you so much and is a bullet connector really needed cant i just connect the two wires directly and do you think my fuses would of blown if it was cut while it was off?

and which wire is the live one, red and the other one is brown and about the crimping tool does it need to be specific or can i just use a pair of pliers?

did he cut a red wire AND a brown wwire?

Strictly speaking no a bullet connector isnt essential and to save you time and expense you could use some of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bootlace-Ferrules-1-00mm2-x-8mm-Insulated-Red-100-/200544163510?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item2eb15d16b6

strip off anout 9mm of insulation and feed the core into these things and then squeeze them with pliers, then just join them with an electrical connector...you know the ones that come in a strip of 10 or so...just cut one off. Remember to remove the fuse while working on it and replace when done, as for the R clips like i said get them from yambits, you may as well get yourself a few more bits...bulbs...sparkplug etc to make the postage worthwhile because the clips will be cheap, meantime just put some small split pins in them till the good ones arrive

As me dear old Gran used ta say "what holds a lot, holds a little" ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online