2002 SR 125 rear spindle locknut question.

Irish Gene
This post is 4583 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2002 SR 125 motorbike. It's my first solo bike as I have two rusian vintage bikes with sidecars a '58 Ural M62 which I have restored and a Dnepr K750 in pieces ready for assembly.

My 2002 rear axle spindle is secured in place by a locknut. The earlier ones used a castle nut with split pin to secure.

I aligned my rear wheel today and went to tighten up the locknut with a torque wrench. I had got a new nut as recommended in the haynes manual.

There was no spring washer and I don't think there should be one.

I noticed that the axle threads didn't protrude beyond the end of this locknut when fitted. It was explained to me by the guy who sold me the new locknut that it is the nylon insert in these nuts that do the 'locking' and if the threads don't come into contact with the nylon ring that it will not work as it should.............and LOCK.

So, I'm concerned.

I read somewhere online that a guy somewhere in New Zealand had an accident due to one of these nuts coming loose and coming off!!!!!!!

So I am wondering if the rear axle in my bike is a replacement and not the correct length.

Any advice would be appreciated so please share your knowledge with me?

Would you take a look at the photo below and share your opinions with me.

I am also looking for a 2002 SR 125 headlight. In my light there is 1) the shell casing 2) the lens 3) the outer rim.

I think there is supposed to be a retention ring inside between the rim and lens, I saw it in a diagram online.

Thanks all,

Eugene.

SR125rearspindlelocknut.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Eugene,

Firstly I don't know much about using lock nuts on axles but, I have had nylon lock nuts from time to time on stuff that I need to do at work. I'm not a big fan as they only work properly when they are in good condition. Once they wear a bit they are marginally better than your standard nut and if they're on stuff that needs to come off and on a lot, they're slightly tedious because you can't spin them off by hand. I don't think they're suitable for an axle and wouldn't like to use them myself but someone obviously thinks it's a good idea. My guess on one coming loose would be that the nylon was worn out. I'd be looking for an alternative for something critical like holding your wheel on.

Gordo

Thanks for that.

The old russian bikes I have use castle nuts and split pin to secure them.

I might try to get an old SR spindle as they used this manner to secure also. The 1982 to 92 ones or so had the castle nut and split pin.

I think your right lock nuts should not be used on axles.

Thats a big NO NO

Needs to be a castellated nut and split pin.

Is there a hole for the pin in the shaft? Is it a replacement shaft?

Your torque may not be right, as the Nyloc will give some resistance when tightening, so may not be torqued up properly. Nylocs are best used once then throw away.

How about putting a plain nut on, torquing it up, then drilling a hole through for a split pin? If youve still got the old shaft, measure the size of the split pin hole and copy that. Drill through towards the outerside of the nut.

Whatever combination of the above, there needs to be (in my view) some form of physical locking of the nut onto the shaft to prevent it coming loose. Dont take risks with this sort of stuff :shakeno: