my ol toy (1990 dt 125 r)

funkymunkydavid
This post is 3166 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just had yodi@blueyonder check it out.... it WAS h957 flt BUT its an insurance write off AND recorded scrapped in 2005.... q plate is the only way now unfortunately... feck... :shakeno:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel for ya mate, must be so bleeding frustrating,

Feel for ya mate, must be so bleeding frustrating,

is it ever. while dvla tell me they have no record and can't trace it,its also got a dvla scrapped marker on it and its on the condition alert register.... its the bureaucracy of it all thats getting to me. they have all the answers but wont tell me diddly squat. the frame may still be unusable. untill i know tho its all on hold,and i'm on the look out for another frame lol

few and far between but i'm looking lol my mates got a dtr on an E plate as a field bike.... i can feel a swap coming on... i'll keep you posted...

Dave I'm not 100% here, but would the reason that it was an insurance write off, can't remember off hand which categary they give it, but it would be because the frame is damaged in some way, is there no way you can take it somewhere to check the frame/geomatry, and get it re-jigged if nessesssary, then get a certificate of proof that the frame is 100% ok to show DVLA, the only other time you can't use a frame is if the police have impounded a bike for scrapping and the scrappers are allowed to sell the parts but not the frame or v5 with it.

Dave I'm not 100% here, but would the reason that it was an insurance write off, can't remember off hand which categary they give it, but it would be because the frame is damaged in some way, is there no way you can take it somewhere to check the frame/geomatry, and get it re-jigged if nessesssary, then get a certificate of proof that the frame is 100% ok to show DVLA, the only other time you can't use a frame is if the police have impounded a bike for scrapping and the scrappers are allowed to sell the parts but not the frame or v5 with it.

thats the odd thing nev,the bike was pretty much as it left me. apart from the panels its all origional. couldn't have been that bad for it to come back out of the scrapyard. i'm going to speak to dvla again now i've got the reg number and see if they'll let me know any more about it. i cant access the vehicle condition alert register by myself,more bureaucracy lol might speak to vosa as well,it'll be them that inspects it....its a right royal pain in the A~@E :eusa_doh:

Aye keep with it, you've put some graft into that bike mate.

well i'm trying to stay focused nev. part of me wants to put it back together and jog it on as a field bike tho :biglaugha: keep trying to crack on,ordering and sorting bits. i found that my wr 200 link arm was bent (and meant the shock fouled the swinger????) my question is... how big was the fat bloke who bent it? 012.jpg

got a link arm off a yz 250 wr from sanfrancisco for a fiver (postage was 35 quid tho :eusa_doh: ) 014.jpg

looks loads longer but works out really well. got a wr 200 rear shock from france (seals knackered,needs a rebuild but £60 was cheap i thought) pictured beside my "other" wr shock which turned out to be a kx shock :madflame:019.jpg

will clean up well

018.jpg

also had a hard to find wr rear caliper and mounting bracket turn up from colorado

015.jpg

got clobbered on import vat for that one,£42 the thieving gits! did a quick before and after on the yz shock links

023.jpg

and thats about where i'm at so far. the sheds going next,got to crack on with my concrete garage thingy (gonna bodge botch fudge build it out of odd sections given to me by a "mate" :biglaugha: will never be as good as veturas man cave tho :eusa_whistle:......

• 2 weeks later...

Any news back from DVLA yet Dave? I'd be inclined to get a v5 form and send it off to them, with its original reg number, if they um and arr about it being an insurance write off, ask them to send one of their blokes out, to check the frame , one came out for a scoot I did for the lad, they couldn't understand how a ten year old bike only had 32 miles on it.

Any news back from DVLA yet Dave? I'd be inclined to get a v5 form and send it off to them, with its original reg number, if they um and arr about it being an insurance write off, ask them to send one of their blokes out, to check the frame , one came out for a scoot I did for the lad, they couldn't understand how a ten year old bike only had 32 miles on it.

still trying to get answers out of them at the mo nev.... its the scrapped bit thats stuffed it tho. they still cant tell me if i can re-use my frame,even for a q plate. the paint i put on is'nt cracked or split on any welds tho and the frame measures up right and its straight? sounds like the usual insurance company "can't be arsed,lets just write it off" approach...or the also common fraud :eusa_think: still on the look out for another frame/bike,i think it might be easier in the long run :shakeno:

still trying to get answers out of them at the mo nev.... its the scrapped bit thats stuffed it tho. they still cant tell me if i can re-use my frame,even for a q plate. the paint i put on is'nt cracked or split on any welds tho and the frame measures up right and its straight? sounds like the usual insurance company "can't be arsed,lets just write it off" approach...or the also common fraud :eusa_think: still on the look out for another frame/bike,i think it might be easier in the long run :shakeno:

All Lazy cunts that work in office's should be shot in both cheek's of the arse,,,,,,,,,, me thinks :thumb:

All Lazy cunts that work in office's should be shot in both cheek's of the arse,,,,,,,,,, me thinks :thumb:

sounds like a plan :biglaugha: i can see there point tho...they have no record at all on this bike. vosa have the vcar details,but dvla and vosa seem to work separately from each other and dont seem to communicate either :madflame: anyhoo,after a high powered meeting with my mate (too many beers and pool in the local :hah: ) i have another dt on an e plate :hyper: it wont be my ol dt anymore tho :shakeno: but,onwards and upwards hey. it also means i'll have a decent field bike :spin2: i'll add pictures soon of my 35mm carb and inlets from a tzr sidecar outfit! i also won a tdr 4fu cylinder and head on ebay with the nicasil coating still on BUT....the blokes being a nobber (no dispatch 10 days in,won't respond to e-mails etc so that probably wont happen :madflame: gotta love these time wasting gimps :eusa_doh:

well the snows been and boy has it held things up :eusa_shifty: cant pour the cement for my slab,let alone start my new shed :shakeno: i've been forced to find other ways to amuse myself

002-3.jpg

a few pics of the new 35mm carb

006-3.jpg

yet another little problem to sort out is the airbox hose :crazy:

005-3.jpg

oh,and the inlet side too....

007-3.jpg

now the inlet is off a tzr (straight) with a collar fitted to accommodate the carb. but the dt inlet is kinked to avoid the shock. i'm going to have to remove and refit the collar,but i've no idea how it was sealed? its defo not silicone and its softer than plastic? its almost like wax... if anyone has any ideas what it might be,let me know. i'd be very grateful... also,has anyone had any experience in making they're own airbox hoses? :idea:

yet another little problem to sort out is the airbox hose :crazy:

005-3.jpg

oh,and the inlet side too....

Dave, just an idea to toy with , but could you not cut off the tabs from the airbox coupling, so that it sits inside rather than outside the carb intake, then get some flat rubber vaccuum cleaner drive belt about 1/2" wide, cut it to size so it sits over the carb intakem maybe (1mm over), and using either rubber glue or araldite glue all around it to the airbox coupling,making it airtight, and when its dried, I reckon you'll be able to jubilee clip it onto the carb as normal, you can even cut off the original internal coupling now if it gets in the way of owt inside the carb intake.or at least cut it right back..

Just a thought, Nev

now that sounds like a plan :spin2: i'll look into that idea! i've seen lads on other forums heat and stretch the inlet (pushing a bottle or similar into it as it heats) but i think ths hose is too old/solid for this..... its all good fun :crazy:

i've seen lads on other forums heat and stretch the inlet (pushing a bottle or similar into it as it heats) but i think ths hose is too old/solid for this..... its all good fun :crazy:

Aye I saw that done to, but heating it up like that and then a couple of weeks of this weather you'll have cracks appearing all over the place, I reckon anyroad.

• 3 weeks later...

Just tuned back into your thread after being away from the forum for a couple of months and as many others have mentioned, gutted for you. I was looking forward to seeing a complete bike with all those shiny parts but as usual the pen pushers of the world are holding you up. Chin up and keep fighting :)

Just tuned back into your thread after being away from the forum for a couple of months and as many others have mentioned, gutted for you. I was looking forward to seeing a complete bike with all those shiny parts but as usual the pen pushers of the world are holding you up. Chin up and keep fighting :)

cheers weimie! and not to worry,i've acquired another dt (E reg,non matching engine and frame numbers) perfect for my little project. plus i'll get a decent field bike out of it too :yeah: just gotta get my arse in gear and go pick it up..... :smash:

• 4 weeks later...

well the new toy has arrived (before the sheds built :eusa_shifty: ) started stripping it down to prep the frame for powdercoating AND....... its bent :madflame: its ONLY the rear subframe (i was advised by an avid motocrosser) he had a measure up using straight edges and a tape. just heat it up and bend it back into shape he said :crazy: i came up with this....

014-1.jpg

its worked out well and now its not too far out (5-7 mm)

015-1.jpg

i'm going to take the last of the kink out with a pipe bender and blow torch :eusa_whistle: after that i'll heat up the whole rear end with the blow torch till its blue and then dunk it in a water butt to set it :hyper: its all good fun.... :eusa_doh: