Tyres

Mallory1
This post is 4579 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I bought my 99 Fazer FZS 600 about a week ago and will be commuting about 30 miles daily on it - both dry & wet weather. I'm getting her serviced and suspect new tyres are needed due to tread wear. Any suggestions about what I should go for as I'm totally ignorant in this area. I'm also married with 4 hampsters so anything costing more than the price of a kidney is a non starter :eusa_shifty: Cheers .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well if you are commuting and not going out power ranger riding etc then you should not need supersticky £200 each semi racing tyres, so go for sport touring type

I would advise Metzler Lasertec, Bridgestone BT, Avon AM20/21 or roadrider, Apparently Maxxis are good tyres as well , the guy i did my DA on used cougar tyres on his training bikes

Merv

Well if you are commuting and not going out power ranger riding etc then you should not need supersticky £200 each semi racing tyres, so go for sport touring type

I would advise Metzler Lasertec, Bridgestone BT, Avon AM20/21 or roadrider, Apparently Maxxis are good tyres as well , the guy i did my DA on used cougar tyres on his training bikes

Merv

Mervin - thanks for this pal, much appreciated. Learning daily - slowly slowly catchy monkey ^_^

These are the tyres that were origionaly on your bike,,,,, or i should say these are the replacment tyres for the origionals.

SPORTMAX_Qualifier.jpg

They are Dunlope Sportmax D209

Front 110/70/17 = £80

Rear 160/60/17 = £104

These are whats on my bike at the min,,,,,i need a new back tyre and ill be sticking with these,,,,good enough milage and good road-holding.

I've done 3000 mils on my rear and i dont know how many was on it before that,,,,,its well shaged now though.

Like Mervin says you can pick any brand you want,,,,,,,but if you only need a rear then you shouldnt mix different brands

If you need both front an rear then choose any ones you want that have your sizes.

Google Crossans Motorcycles,,,,,there in "Newery" should be close enough to ya,,,,, they know there stuff and will give you tyres that suit your ridin style.

Keep the shiney side up !!!

2 Wheels - thanks for the advice & costing Should manage to hold on to the kidneys at those prices :spin2:

Doing 3000miles on your rear ??? Painful :eusa_shifty:

3000 miles + what it had done before he bought it !!! yes you can get these big mileages out of tyres if you only ride on straightish roads, ride like i do all bends and either hard on the brakes or throttle and they do not do that even

I put Dunlop Roadsmarts on mine. Slightly more expensive than above but heard good things about them.

I had the sportecs on the SV when I got it, A good tyre IMO.

metzeler_sports_radial_m.jpg

When they got bald i brought a pair of Avon Viper/VP2. Sport on the back and Supersport on the front, I rate them.

VP2_Supersport.png?1235122449

last year i put 2000 miles on my very expensive pirrelli mt's and they were bald as a two year olds chuff,

but guess whats back on the market and i have them front and back, because nothing else were cheaper.

ooh baby, yes there back , the AVON ROAD RUNNER,

i used these in my youth on my old rd 250 and my cx500 , they lasted for ever,

i don't know how good they are this time around , but iff the past is anything to go on, they should be good.

what are peoples thoughts on MAXXIS tyres - anyone used them before ? The chap servicing my bike has recommended them at a cost of £89 (front tyre only as the rear tyre is ok) Thanks for all the post thus far - really helpful

Mallory, where bouts are you?

Newcastle

There's a guy in Ballygowan who breaks bikes. Normally has a few Tyres around, good condition & reasonably priced

Cheers Vic - is there a business name I should search for ?

Just sent you a PM with details

Can i have the same PM please Vic :thumb:

No, feck off!!! lol

Pm sent.

Ha Ha,,,

Thanks Vic !

If you lookin for parts and cant get them just think to yourself,,,,,,,,, i bet that bollucks Pat has them. :D