USING YOUR HELMET

Mallory1
This post is 4463 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I nod to every bike and scooter, even trikes. Some nod back some don't but guess that's life? Sometimes I'm only aware of another bike on the opposite side of the road literally as we pass due to heavy traffic so don't get chance to nod at them but wonder if they think I'm a miserable...

(I tend to forward nod though occasionally side nod + if more than one bike passing left hand up).

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been a right side down nodder. Seems more natural than the frontal nod as I'm not too good at that. I tend to come off like one of the bobbly head dolls on a car dash. I flicked a nod to an L plated biker at the weekend and the poor sod nearly fell off trying to decide whether to nod back or wave! Must have been the first time they had been acknowledged! I must have made them feel like a God for a few seconds cos thats how I felt when I first got acknowledged by a larger bike back in the day.

I've always been a right side down nodder. Seems more natural than the frontal nod as I'm not too good at that. I tend to come off like one of the bobbly head dolls on a car dash. I flicked a nod to an L plated biker at the weekend and the poor sod nearly fell off trying to decide whether to nod back or wave! Must have been the first time they had been acknowledged! I must have made them feel like a God for a few seconds cos thats how I felt when I first got acknowledged by a larger bike back in the day.

Priceless :biglaugha: I can well remember a few occasions when a 'real' biker chose to acknowledge me passing with my L plates and I just kept forgetting that your right hand really is better staying on the throttle - waving and then desperately trying to regain control isn't exactly James Dean

I nod to most everybody, trouble is most folk think the TDR is a 125 so i get ignored by the power rangers and the 125 riders recognise it as a 250 and again, probly the only time it happens nowadays most seem to defer to the bigger bike and slink away.

Can, get, lonely, sniff

Side nod, usually, with a left hand wave if I pass someone going in the same direction. Occasionally stick a foot out, too.

Can't do a front nod, feels stupid/unco to me as well. At a stretch a right side down nod but I prefer a left hand up with a kind of pointy finger up.No idea why, been doing it that way now for 30years or so so I don't see that changing. I'm certain that everyone used to wave when "I was a lad" and it shits me that most people don't these days. I figure I'm going to change that one wave at a time.

No where is the waving/pointing emoticon.....

Gordo

:lol: stick ya foot out :headscratch: how does that one work..

Well - Overseas where the vast majority of countries drive/ride on the opposite side of the road, you have to take the other hand off the bars and wave... but that's a bit awkward and isn't often seen.

So they all stick a leg out instead. Here, that'd be the left leg as you go past someone.

well,, ill be a dutch man,,, iv,e nether heard that one before,

also riding a two stroke means your toes are too occupied to have time to lift them from there busy office.

Ride more often and longer distances. I see the foot thing all over the UK - Had several off the Sporties just this weekend.

Nod to as many as I can, even the scots

Scots dont rrsond at all, apart from the finger.

Not all of them from the North are bad. I hear there are some OK ones about ;)

Well - Overseas where the vast majority of countries drive/ride on the opposite side of the road, you have to take the other hand off the bars and wave... but that's a bit awkward and isn't often seen.

So they all stick a leg out instead. Here, that'd be the left leg as you go past someone.

You get this a lot abroad.

Either that or they are trying to p155 on you.

I too Nod to every biker or if i see my old instructor its the finger and a wave followed by a cupper lol

I see the same moped rider on way home from work every day rain or shine 'n' he/she (not quiet sure lol) has only just started nodding back. I think its common curtousy to achknoledge there presence on the road as they are the future generation of bikers and they must be scared enought riding those things with Mr billy boy wanker up there arse not to mention when i pop past them with the straight pipes on lol

Harley Riders are just always Pissy as they just spent the last 7 hours polishing the chrome and getting the bike to start, Where as the power rangers have got to get no where as fast as possible lol

Got honked on the motorway in Kent today by some kind of exotic custom bobber, possibly harley based (it sounded like it!), with an absolutely massively fat rear wheel, as he was overtaking me on the inside lane (I was in the middle lane). I waved back.

I generally try to ackowledge every other bike on the road, and car drivers as well when they make room for me!

Share the love!! :wub:

• 1 month later...

When i used to ride my ol Speedfight 2 when i was 16 i never used to knod or wave, i never really noticed others doing it. Now i have my YBr125 custom i still have L plates and i always nod but on the a272 on saturday there was a fair amount of bikers and i found that its usualy the bigger bikes that dont bother nodding :/

i try an nod to any biker even learners and even scooter/moped types sometimes i fail to notice i've been nodded at as i've had the head down

trying to get more speed up.an happen to look up just as the nod/wave is finished lol

I'm a regular 'nodder' to bikes down here on the South Coast, including mopeds, sadly rarely seem to get a nod back.

Back in the 70's and 80's there appeared to be a lot more bikes around and it seemed that everyone used to 'wave' or nod irrespective of the bike.

By the end of the 70's i moved 'indoors' with a Reliant Regal 3 wheeler and all 3 wheelers and many bikers used to wave' or flash lights. However, these days my 400/4 gets more nods than my DT175 (i'm sure many think its just a 125!!) but there does seem to be a very noticeable lack of the friendly nod from others especialy over the past 15 years.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online