XS400 Flat tracker

drewpy
This post is 3321 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A real lovely job ya done there Drewps, btw those projector headlights you have there, do you reckon they can be fitted onto the bottom yokes on my DT,under my main headlight? and if so, where from? how much and whats the wattage? as they look just what I'm after for the dark country roads we have round these parts.

Cheers Nev

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

they are H4 35w ring projector lamps, as I was only running a 2.1 amp battery couldn't have too much juice escaping. Also have LED rear lamps.

• 1 year later...

a little update;

found a Yoshi end can on eBay and trial fitted it.

Needs to go up a bit more before I finally weld on the link pipe fitting.

IMAG0842_zps1a7ed278.jpg

Just saw this thread. That bike is jaw dropping, mate. Looks mean as hell.

thanks Gazzy, the yoshi is now installed and sounds great

I popped back into this part of the forum (haven't been in much since selling my XS500) specifically to see this thread. Looking good Drewpy! Now we need a video of it running, maybe a speed pass?

the bike's spewing oil out ATM, its the output seal but it took a few mins running the engine to find it.

the back tyre and me/bike/public are covered in 20w/50 :)

I'm off work tomorrow so should be able to source one and replace.

vid to follow

• 2 months later...

well I think I have finally found the leak. I smothereed the bike in talc and went for a ride. If I ride up to 40 then there is no leak, continous riding at 50+ gets the Torre Canyon treatment on the back wheel.

After faffing replacing every seal I can think of, it's coming from the stater area.

As I have put my ignition switch opp the starter motor, the oil at the bottom gets flung up, I put a baffle there to prevent most of it travelling, but for some reason, its throwing more up. this then gets into the hollow where the starter is and drains through the drain hole right where the chain it etc and then it sprays everywhere.

Ordered a core plug the same size as the hole and I'll grommet it for the ignition wires and that should be that!

I've ringed the drain

a761b781-3dea-405a-bea9-bcb20794c4c0_zps

If ya just stop the oil from coming out,,,,,,,,,,, but its still leaking,,,,,,,, then your oil pressure will rise.

If ya just stop the oil from coming out,,,,,,,,,,, but its still leaking,,,,,,,, then your oil pressure will rise.

its splashing out Pat, sealing it will let it drain back where its supposed to be, at the crank end at the bottom of the case.

Glad to see you've not forgot her Drew

seeing as the FZ is playing up, I needed to get mobile again for Stafford and Darley Moor next month

its splashing out Pat, sealing it will let it drain back where its supposed to be, at the crank end at the bottom of the case.

I get ya now mate !

seeing as the FZ is playing up, I needed to get mobile again for Stafford and Darley Moor next month

me too still not looked at my front brake been to busy with work

Hi Drewpy,

I'm planning a central stripe on my tank for the future too, is yours painted or is it a decal? I want to paint mine but not sure if you'll be able to feel it through the clear.

Great looking bike by the way, plenty of inspiration for the direction a bike in the condition mine is could go; months of fettling to be done before I need to worry about keeping up with the Jones' though! Maybe I need a few more years of bikefoolery under my belt before I try for a finish as acomplished as you have managed.

centre stripe is painted. The only decals are the numbers and the tank text.

Aha! finally got that oil leak sorted. went out tonight on the motorway and its dry, DRY I tell ya!! :hyper:

• Like 1

So your sorted for Stafford going to look a my brake tomorrow! fingers crossed its something simple

what date is it on ?

I just checked the date and I'm camping that weekend argggggg!

There s a Blackpool show though and AFAIK Darley Moor is still on

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well I decided to make an Alloy front rear mudguard tonite

check out my metal bashing skills

WP_20131016_0011_zps5ab8b297.jpg

WP_20131016_0031_zps29f34d77.jpg

looks good and no English wheel in sight :)

• Like 1