What is the point of heated grips?

Toutsuite
This post is 4612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First off a big hello from a newbie to the forum!

I bought my first bike in well over a decade, a silver Dragstar custom 650 from 2002 last week - very happy with her, she's a beaut!

Naturally enough, I've hardly had the bike 5 minutes, and I'm already making changes! Changed the footpegs back to the original ones (previous owner had installed boards), new tear-drop mirrors to replace the somewhat worn-around-the-edges rectangular ones, saddlebags on the way... I'm also going to replace the heated grips installed by the prevous owner, with regular chrome and leather ones. The heated grips don't look very nice, they've got no endcaps, and I frankly fail to see the point in them. I mean when it's cold and you're riding your bike you wear gloves, right? What's the point of keeping your palms warm and the rest of your hand exposed to the elements? What do you folks think?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First off a big hello from a newbie to the forum!

I bought my first bike in well over a decade, a silver Dragstar custom 650 from 2002 last week - very happy with her, she's a beaut!

Naturally enough, I've hardly had the bike 5 minutes, and I'm already making changes! Changed the footpegs back to the original ones (previous owner had installed boards), new tear-drop mirrors to replace the somewhat worn-around-the-edges rectangular ones, saddlebags on the way... I'm also going to replace the heated grips installed by the prevous owner, with regular chrome and leather ones. The heated grips don't look very nice, they've got no endcaps, and I frankly fail to see the point in them. I mean when it's cold and you're riding your bike you wear gloves, right? What's the point of keeping your palms warm and the rest of your hand exposed to the elements? What do you folks think?

Boy, have you got a lot to learn.

Hello

Heated grips: I used to think they were a waste until I brought my FJR (heated grips standard fit) The first time I used the bike I had to ride across country in the middle of winter (February),

So I tried the grips out, previously on my old XJ900 divi, I would of had a spare pair of glove liners wrapped up and wedged on the engine for when my fingers started to hurt, ready to swap over every 40 mins or so, this I would of done about 3 times, But with the heated grips the only part of my hands that got cold were my thumbs and I was able to ride around this, so I would say if heated grips are already fitted and working ok I would leave them on and use them, If not I would just go back to using two sets of glove liners and swapping them round from time to time.

:)

Nayruf thanks for your response. So you're saying a good thick pair of thinsulate gloves wouldn't protect from the cold? Also I should have mentioned I don't intend to use the bike much in the depths of winter, certainly not on long trips.

Awa, how informative. Not. ;-)

I suppose, a cheaper option to replacing the grips would be to find a pair of chrome endcaps to fit on to them, maybe smarten them up a bit. Anybody know where I could get those?

Toutsuite, Hi I have a FJR1300 with fitted heated hand grips. I also have reynalds (poor blood supply in the hands and feet) so I am paranoid about keeping warm. I agree with you that hand grips keep your grip very hot but the back of your hand is freezing.

I have inner gloves, the glove and now a mit for the outside (I decided against the tent!). I will see how this all goes but if I can't cope I will get heated gloves. I have been told that these are realy good.

I do over 500 miles a week commuting to work and I would like some feeling in my fingures when I hit the London traffic.

Good luck and enjoy, Peter

Well it's good to hear other people's experience and advice on this! Thanks Peter.

Neversaydie has made a good point about battery drainage, so it's pros and cons really. The thing is, as I'm not going to be riding on long trips during the winter, with maybe the occasional pootle around London and Kent on unusually sunny winter days, I may not have much use for them. But I may as well try them out for the first winter to see how it goes.

Gloves are something I would ALWAYS suggest, not just for when it's a bit nippy.

If you really need to know why, just imagine what happens when you crash/fall off your bike, even as low as 20mph.

End of the day, your hands, your skin, your choice.

Heated grips serve their purpose well, but if it's so cold that you feel they are pointless, then it's probably too cold to ride anyway as the grips will still work fine but rest of you will freeze. Hypothermia is a serious risk to consider in Winter riding.

For the record, -7ºC with a 70mph wind = around -35ºC and is far too cold for any sane person....

Yes, I always wear gloves, irrespective of the weather. On a nice warm summer's day it'll probably be fingerless driving gloves, you know, for cruising round southeast London, anything less balmy (or on the motorway) full gloves.

And yeah, I really can't see myself riding anywhere in -7C! Especially at 70mph!

Come up to Scotland over the winter time. I road the hole way through winter bar one week over christmas when the roads were covered with snow and ice. -7C feels cold, really cold, trust me. I would have thermals, composite trousers and jacket, wind breaker under the jacket and on top of the thermals i would have a Keis heated jacket. I'd have an over jacket for the motorbike jacket, and i would keis heated gloves, normal winter gloves and then heated grips and hand guards. Oh and the customary Neck protection. I was very warm until I hit the motorway :)

And yeah, I really can't see myself riding anywhere in -7C! Especially at 70mph!

Do it at least once. It's really.... character-building!!

I recommend about 80 miles each way, with a couple of stops for coffee :D

And yes, I am slightly insane. How d'you think I got in here?

i found that even with winter gloves and thurmal gloves my hands froze to the point where cold water burned! and that was just going to work (20min drive) id recomend kepping them in a safe place for when you decide to use them.

Ha ha David! All that gear would cost as much if not more than the bike!

Well, like I said, I'll give the grips a go this winter.

Well, I've gone and done it, got new grips! The throttle side of the old ones had some exposed wiring that I noticed yesterday so I thought sod it, I'm changin'em. Got some lovely chrome and rubber replacements (non-heated of course).

DSCF9637.jpg

I've put up more pics in the gallery.

or a good pair of winter gloves and a couple of national cycle hand shields...

Don't think I'll be doing an awful lot of winter riding though (famous last words probably!) :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online