Photos???

slice
This post is 4619 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok I see we now have a nice shiny new look to the site and it is an improvement over the original "BUT" where have my photos in the garage gone? Only 2 out of about a dozen that were there and sad to say I DO NOT have the originals. Can anyone tell me if I can get them back and how? HELP! :madflame:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Hiya, I'm really sorry for the inconvience here, especially when you are one of a few members who help sponsor this site to run, with out you guys the forums wouldn't still be here!

To cut the story short, I should have your original photos and will be able to get them, but will need your help to identify your bike. I'll try and upload all the images to a private photo gallery for members to download.

Long story kept as short as possible.

The Yamaha Owners Club was originally on a virtual server, and was fine to start with. Over time it became very slow and especially comeing up to 20k users, but more significantly it became very difficult to back up. With only 20,000 members, the database just for the forum even just the raw text and compressed was about 400mb, now add on the DB for the subscriptions, chat, garage, and the main news content on the homepage. You can see that the database becomes a significant resource. This is only the text and excludes all images and attachments.

Now the problem I had in backing this up is that it would take a very long time and put huge load on the server which would make the forums really really slow and at times unusable.

As we were on a shared server we were also limited by disk space, the actual size of the site + backup was more than the available disk space. This meant that I had to prioritise what was backed up, and only backup criticial parts of the infrastructure. This is very bad as not everything is backed up at once, and to be transparent I couldn't afford a new server. The site runs at a significant loss, I put a lot of my own money in to the site to keep it running, at the moment I could buy a brand new R1 every 3 years, which is why I don't have a bike :-(, so trying to justify a new server to my girlfriend was a little difficult to say the least ;-)

Anyway logistically it became so bad, the only solution was a new server or just let the forums run to the ground. With the forums being established for coming up to ten years I couldn't let that happen.

So. I finally had the server, but just did not have the time available to move it to a new server. I paid an external consultant to move the club website over to the new server, and install the latest versions of all the applications which were running, to get it done quicker and also to ensure nothing went wrong. My IT skills are limited.

Anyway the problem we had was as the database were all backed up at different times, things weren't syncronised to each other. So the problem I've been left with is many images weren't specified in the re-instated database. I've had the garage software developer manually syncronise the images to the users where possible. But unfortunately there are still a number of images not assoicated to users.

What I will need to do is, upload all these images to a private account and allow members to search and download their photos and reupload them.

I know this is really crap, and it shouldn't be anyone else's problem. But I'm doing my best to ensure everything is ok, and have invested in a great stable platform which is more future proof than it has been previously, much quicker, more secure and won't have any issues backing up :-)

Hi Alex, Thanks for that makes it all clear and well done with what you have done to the site. Ok first thing My bike is an XJ750, it's blue and yellow either under the name Martinread or MRR. I hope that helps with finding the right photos and if not please email me and I will do my best to get the info you need, email is [email protected]. Martin.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online