Trickle Charge to keep the battery topped up

Campaman
This post is 4626 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

As the title says I am thinking about a trickle charger to keep the battery charged up when it comes to the more winter type weather, as at the moment I am using regularly anyway, the bike has an alram so I am sure I am going to need something come the winter.

Was wondering if any one had tried one of those small solar panels that are designed to keep a battery topped I had one that I used in an old Volkswagen Type 2 van due tot the alarm and the radio memory draining the battery in about two four weeks and that worked ok for that, not sure if it would work for a bike?

The problem I have with a plug in charger is that to get electricity to where the bike is kept is going to mean an extension lead of getting an electrician to install me an outside socket.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes i have 2 in the shed window, they do a god job, so good the rd 250 battery ended up dried out completely last winter when i left it on all the time, but that has no alarm etc, and the battery was on it,s way out anyhow, but this is the one i have

solar charger

Merv

Hi

Yeah that is similar to the one I have, it also came from Maplins, it has a cigarette lighter socket plug on the end and I was thinking that I could run a female plug from the battery into the storage compartment so I would just have to plug it into that when needed.

Thanks

I use the Oxford one. Works well enough.

Think thats going to be the way forward then, cheers gents.

I have the same one as Merv. Used it for the second car. It worked well but I use an Optimiser, when needed, now. Mine has a gates type connector so with a little thinking and looking here LINKY you may be able to knock up what you want quickly.

I already have some of those connecters on the EvilBay link from when I use to have Tamiya Radio controlled cars, so will do a bit of soldering later and all will be sorted.

Cheers

I use the same panel and connectors as Mervin, also have a slightly larger panel for the car. all are used throughout the year as I work overseas. Both work very well.

David