Yamaha DT175 'barn find'

Measures
This post is 2450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got it started today but all the electrics are odd, as in they don't work. Also the ignition/kill switch doesn't work so you have to stall it to kill the engine. Keys make no difference either... Can't think what is missing :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as yet but going to borrow one. I've found a black wire with a white stripe going into the rectifier (the thing behind the 2 stroke tank) and when that is plugged in then i don't get a spark at all.

Also, what is the brown wire coded for?

Not as yet but going to borrow one. I've found a black wire with a white stripe going into the rectifier (the thing behind the 2 stroke tank) and when that is plugged in then i don't get a spark at all.

Also, what is the brown wire coded for?

The black/white wire to the CDI is the engine 'kill' wire

when the keyswitch is off this wire is shorted to chassis

also when the keyswitch is on and the kill switch in not in RUN position this wire is again shorted to chassis

it follows then that when the keyswitch is ON and the kill switch is in RUN this wire is NOT shorted to chassis

what do you mean what is the brown wire coded for? dont understand the question

brown wire from/to what?

The black/white wire to the CDI is the engine 'kill' wire

when the keyswitch is off this wire is shorted to chassis

also when the keyswitch is on and the kill switch in not in RUN position this wire is again shorted to chassis

it follows then that when the keyswitch is ON and the kill switch is in RUN this wire is NOT shorted to chassis

what do you mean what is the brown wire coded for? dont understand the question

brown wire from/to what?

The engine will only get a spark with the black/white unplugged at the back... once I plug it in the spark disappears.

The brown wire branching off with the wires for the rear brake switch, what is it for? I can't find a plug for it.

Thanks for the help so far!

The engine will only get a spark with the black/white unplugged at the back... once I plug it in the spark disappears.

Yeah when you get the multimeter study whats happening by referencing what I have just told you

The brown wire branching off with the wires for the rear brake switch, what is it for? I can't find a plug for it.

There is a brown wire to the rear brake switch thats correct

Ah, so are the two black wires going into one female plug for an earth then?

2FF7A6BA-BEC5-4E9E-BBF5-2A0721E3F9F4-6776-00000DFB05426C96.jpg

I've got one yellow for the recifier (think it's called that), the other yellow for the brake switch and the brown for the brake switch (as of 10 minutes ago...

Ah, so are the two black wires going into one female plug for an earth then?

2FF7A6BA-BEC5-4E9E-BBF5-2A0721E3F9F4-6776-00000DFB05426C96.jpg

I've got one yellow for the recifier (think it's called that), the other yellow for the brake switch and the brown for the brake switch (as of 10 minutes ago...

That is not the rectifier it is the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator has a yellow/white wire thet plugs into a single bullet socket also yellow/white. It also has a black wire that is secured using a ring terminal around the regulator mounting bolt, this black plugs into one of the black sockets in the pair you mentioned, the black from the battery negative plugs into the other.

The other yellow is for the brake switch. Its a bullet socket at the brake switch and bullet plug on the loom

That is not the rectifier it is the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator has a yellow/white wire thet plugs into a single bullet socket also yellow/white. It also has a black wire that is secured using a ring terminal around the regulator mounting bolt, this black plugs into one of the black sockets in the pair you mentioned, the black from the battery negative plugs into the other.

so does this leave a yellow??? tell us more about this

Right so I'm missing a ring terminal then... And there is no battery so there is a brown plugged into a red further up the loom (as I pulled it). Yup on yellow which I have plugged into one of the wires from the RB switch.

I assume you will be fitting a battery next, you will need the little fuse that is in the battery + wire as well

No not going to bother with one I'm afraid. Still need to figure the kill switch gremlin - When I took the bike to bits there was a ring connector on the bolt retaining the 2 stroke tank... I presume this is an Earth?

I hate electrics!

No not going to bother with one I'm afraid. Still need to figure the kill switch gremlin - When I took the bike to bits there was a ring connector on the bolt retaining the 2 stroke tank... I presume this is an Earth?

I hate electrics!

are you going to be using this on the road then?, How will it pass an MOT with no lights/horn

are you going to be using this on the road then?, How will it pass an MOT with no lights/horn

They run off the engine when I fix the electrics... You don't need a battery to pass just so long as all the lights work when the engine is running. My Dad and Unlce have both had bikes like this before... Just need a resistor to stop it blowing bulbs.

batteries arent expensive, Its the battery and a correctly wired regulator that will keep the bulbs from blowing

I might see. Really need to sort out important issues first though. You need a resistor if you don't have a battery :)

=http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786]width="400" height="225" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=13b4004eff&photo_id=7922666240" bgcolor="#000000" allowFullScreen="true"

• 2 weeks later...

nice sj, got any more pics???

Some. It was pretty scary tbh, especially down the A47. We didn't exceed 35, lol. Went green laning after so it's all good!

Bike was stuck about 1 foot out either side of the jeep, no mirrors.

C69A50D7-BD73-4EDA-B8A4-A870F8494A96-18475-000020D61F515EAB.jpg

PS that's not me, it's my mate who's jeep it is.

• 4 months later...

I didn't do my test in the end meaning I can't ride this due to new regs, so I think I'll be selling it to buy a car. It's been hidden away at the farm since we took it down, been ridden occasionally but I think there's something up with the oil pump as it kept getting really hot until we put some 2T oil in the petrol tank to make a crude pre-mix.

I've just ordered a new loom and will fit it in the holidays I think, apart from that I just need some fork seals then it should be MOT-able.

Should be fun!