Yamaha DT175 'barn find'

Measures
This post is 2426 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I managed to get the phone number of the last owner to have it on the road, a good friend of the person that gave it to me. He'd fitted the 125R front end and also told me he'd done some work on the swing arm. How I hadn't spotted it before hand I'll never know but he's welded some substantial bits of bar to where the shock should have originally attached. It's moved the mounting point up and towards the engine by about 1.5" so would have messed with the ride of the bike had I of changed the front back to standard.

Checking on the Direct.gov website, it says the bike is unlicensed. I presume to get rid of this I will need to tax it? It's odd because I sent off a SORN form at the same time as my V5 application. Any ideas?

Harry.

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With any luck I'll have the engine finished this weekend. I had to Heliciol the head stud threads in the end, was a bitch getting the old ones out.

Hope to take my bike test this year before the Gov change the system. My Uncle has said I can have his Z650 to reassemble once I dig my way to his shed, so hopefully I should have that when I'm 19. Will be a nice project for me though, think I might make a cafe racer of it but I'm unsure.

Anyway, here are some recent pictures of the DT. I got the seat for my birthday, nicely finished and a quick delivery. I've got a 2nd kick stand on the way from eBay so I'll be modifying that so I don't need the toolbox.

Aside from that, and of course the engine, I might buy a new wiring loom from Yuniparts so I can fit indicators to allow a full MOT.

Won't be long!

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3892.jpg

You don't need indicators on a bike of that age so long as there isn't provision for them. So remove the parts from the hbar sw and keep the wire (if any) out of sight and your fine.

Mine hasn't had indicators since the 90's

You don't need indicators on a bike of that age so long as there isn't provision for them. So remove the parts from the hbar sw and keep the wire (if any) out of sight and your fine.

Mine hasn't had indicators since the 90's

That's handy then. The previous owner has already removed the indicator switch from the left hand switch set anyway, and half the wires for them - hence the need for a new loom.

Cheers for that, saved me some cash.

• 1 month later...

Hello. Just been reading your your various posts... did you get sorted with the V5? I own a DT125MX & a DT125LC MkII & I'm in the process of building a DT125L... My MX & LC were bought as field bikes with no V5. I previously had some success with Yamaha UK, who retain the reg number for most the bikes they import, as most are 1st registered by them. They handed the reg number over for both bikes (you have to write or fax them) and in the 1st instance all I had to do was fill in a form for a log book for the MX. There was about 18 months between the 2 purchases, a however I did eventually get a log book for my LC, albeit after stumping up the cash. My MX as sold as an '80 model, but ended up being one of the last MX's imported '2A8' on an '83 'Y' plate, and my LC ended up being an '86 'C'.

I too was a bit weary of applying for a log book as I wasn't sure of the origin of either machine (Both EBAY purchases BUT I have receipts and can prove who I bought them from). I know of someone who did a full restoration on a GS550 only to have it confiscated when it was found that it had been reported stolen moons ago.

Interested in your fork dilemma.. I've got orginal forks for the MX & the LC was almost complete when I bought it so no problems, but I also considered fitting a disc to my MX but was advised not too..

I've converted my MX to a '175' by fitting a 175 barrel, head & jetted the carb up. I am told that you can do the same in reverse with a 175; fitting a 125 barrel. Cost me £40 a barrel & head + the usual rebore piston etc..

My real dilemma is with the DT125/175L. This was the last of the aircooled line, and what the MX morphed into, and looks like a cross between an MX & LC. (Its a MX engine in an LC frame, with LC plastics, tank seat headlight etc) I originally bought the frame for the swinging arm only. I now have an idea to turn it into something like an enduro/TDR with TZR wheels etc. I've nothing except frame and swinging arm, but I am looking to use a DT125LC front end, and already have a spare set of forks, albeit no yokes. The tank and plastics look the standard LC items, so I'm hoping they'll fit. The engine should be a standard MX engne (Yamaha UK confirmed that my frame was not a UK spec frame, but did say that its designed to take '2A6' crankcases so an aircooled engine should drop in although I have a spare LC engine, which I am tempted to drop in, albeit I will need to have the engine mounts modded, and a bracket made up for a rad).

Would be interested to see your finished bike. Its surprising how many MX parts are still out there. Yamaha were still manufacturing them until the late 90's for the far east, african market & south america. (Yamaha confirmed that my bike came from south america)

My local Yam dealers have been very helpful, and there are still a few people on EBAY with bits...

Good Luck....

Yes I did get the V5, God knows how though as I got the previous owner and the colour wrong!

The fork dilema has again raised it's ugly head as I went to check on my baby the other day to find a nice puddle of fork oil on the floor. I'm keeping it as a 175 as I'm hoping to do my full test soon and get on it as a 1st bike. Would have been finished this week but I've had problem after problem after problem with the sodding thing and outsourcing some work to my Uncle means that everything has to be coordinated.

As soon as the engine is back in it'll be going back down to the farm that i got from originally so that I can get some experience on it while i do my test, then it'll be back in my garage to get it to an MOT able standard.

Harry.

• 5 weeks later...

Very quick pic taken today after dropping another £76 on the engine, how can Yamaha charge so much for so little! Sigh. Did manage to pick up a rear rack for about £30 on eBay the other day though so not all bad!

AE8EB15D-DC98-41F3-BFE2-BC753A82F4F5-536-00000105F07C6D00.jpg

Promise the next photo will be a proper one!

Harry.

Christ Harry this thing has flow together! top job, im guessing you have loads of free time on your hands!? :eusa_clap:

Christ Harry this thing has flow together! top job, im guessing you have loads of free time on your hands!? :eusa_clap:

The two weeks I reassembled it was Easter Holiday... Which shows in my A level results as that's when we were supposed to be revising. Ha.

Hopefully won't be much longer. Glad i've spent this time on the engine... I'm fairly certain that the person who last had the thing in bits had an IQ that didn't quite reach double figures. The piston was the wrong size FFS.

Will be back with the frame tomorrow if all goes to plan! Few pictures just before the head went on for the final time!

B1D25058-BDBF-439B-A08C-67800674F904-4879-000009D367FF4470.jpg

6E738096-6EF1-4CFB-8BC5-88B78FA1786D-4879-000009D374C41E35.jpg

64F315F0-7E28-4908-9482-71B05D7B98B1-4879-000009D37E4A56A9.jpg

So it's had new head studs, a used but unmolested barrel rebored and honed to 1mm with a leading edge put on the ports, new seals all round, the neutral switch has been fixed and it's had a good lick of paint too.

Looking good :thumb:

Thanks. Home straight now...

yeah it looks good, that's a helluva sidestand :eusa_whistle:

Haha yeah it's because it sits so tall, was basically falling over with the other one. It's about 20cm longer than standard. Will sandblast it at some point and paint it red.

Harry.

I saw that carrier sold on ebay recently didnt I ? Looks good :thumb:

Yeah about £37 posted I think, just felt I wanted one and they don't come up too often. Just need some mirrors I think.

Cheers.

Beautiful job! It's come a long way from where you started. :thumb:

Beautiful job! It's come a long way from where you started. :thumb:

Thanks, it has especially considering I was only planning on putting a new chain, fixing the brakes and then having it as a run about at the farm! Haha...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online