What got you into bikes

stormbringer
This post is 4571 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

:lol: :lol: I guess it comes to all of us oldies ;)

I concur DDT,

I must be old because I met your avitar when he appeared in Swindon in the seventies.

How sad is that?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.............I must be old because I met your avitar when he appeared in Swindon in the seventies.

How sad is that?

Not in a gent toilet I hope :unsure::lol:

Not in a gent toilet I hope :unsure::lol:

Certainly Not! :angry:

His minder stuck to him like shit to a blanket. :lol:

My Dad was to blame for my addiction. My Mum brought me home from school one day when I was five and my Dad was sat in the living room with a big grin on his face and something was poking out from under a sheet in the lounge. A nice shiny NVT Ranger, putting out 18 horse at the rear wheel! (Yes I was only a child but no I wasn't spoilt before you say!)

I remember going to the beach on it at the weekends convinced that the top speed was around 80mph and telling my friends that before they had a go. I've just got a photocopied manual off Flea bay recently and apparently the top speed was 22mph! Trust me at that age it seemed like more. Whilst my Dad always had a road bike, he and his friend always had beach bikes as well for what they used to call "Sammying". (I'm assuming that's reference to the off road rider from the 70's??) There was no better feeling back then than coming home on a Friday night from school and my Dad asking if I wanted to go Sammying tomorrow! The answer was always yes. My Mum and my Dad's friends wife used to do a few circuits of the beach on the back of the bikes whilst me and the other couple's daughters belted around on our bikes at (what I now know to be correct) 22mph.

One of my best memories of the beach (the same beach I'll be going on when the DT is completed) was my Dad trying to cockily jump a sand dune and coming down front wheel first and being thrown off. The sight of him scuttling away from the bike before it toppled on him was only beaten by the fact that the bike had buried itself in the sand and stayed upright as he'd landed that hard! An image I'll take to the grave with me!

Sadly my Dad has been registered disabled since 1984 and that was the last year he rode comfortably and I'm fairly sure that he would have loved to have tried some of the bikes that have passed through my fingers since turning 16 in 1989.

So when I turned 16 I never did get the speech from my parents about bikes being too dangerous and wait for another year to get a car as they knew that it was all their doing!

When I was somewhere around 11 ish, the NVT was sold as my Dad thought it was time for me to learn about gears and get away from the twist and go. Again with his friend, they invested £50 on a couple of worn out BSA Banthams and several boxes of bits. A couple of months later me and his daughters both had a working 175cc Bantham! One down and two up, ee by eck, them were the days.

The Bantham remained for a couple of years when my Dad wanted me to get a serious Sammy bike. A 1980 Bultaco Sherpa T 250cc. I never did ride that bike. What a bloody stupid idea putting the rear brake on the left and gears on the right! Scared the life out of me trying to work that on the beach. The Bultaco stayed in the garage until 87 and I was bikeless for the first time in 9 years. Then July 89 came and it all started again ......

i think this is a great story really enjoyed the read :)

Dave

Started on a KE100 at 14 (although you can only ride a 50cc now at 14, when I started, it was up to 100cc at 14 and unlimited cc at 16!) - that beat a pushbike hands down! Moved on to a KLR250 at 16, put 9000 miles on it in a year (on an island that's only 9 x 5 miles!) then sold it to buy a car. Was bikeless for a couple of years, then picked up a 1981 XV750SE with the usual starter problems, ran that for a year or so, then flogged it on to my mate and bought a 1979 XS750 with my old man, and, when other bikes came and went, that stayed with me for 14 years till I sold it last year. It went through many guises, and ended up as a Cafe-rat-bob!

eklzk1.jpg

Now running a Kawasaki GT550 with a sidecar as my everyday commuter

357om0x.jpg

Just finished my Virago 750 Bobber (till the winter when I plan to strip it and clean and paint the frame, swingarm etc and probably replace the exhaust

htvju9.jpg

And my Virago 535 is nearly done - just waiting on the 2-1 exhaust, and 1-2 inlet manifold to be made. The latest pic I have of it (although it's a lot more finished now!)

52x955.jpg

yep nice collection but really like the gt550 camo job

Dave

yep nice collection but really like the gt550 camo job

Dave

Cheers. It's getting a bit tired now, and I keep looking for another combination, but they're either too expensive, or just don't look right! I'm just not overly keen on the more modern looking sidehacks. Ideally, I'd like a proper Ural outfit, but they don't come up in good nick and really really cheap very often!

I'd always wanted to get my licence (who didn't!) But what kick started the process was a trip to the States to visit family. Whilst the women folk were out getting their nails done or something I was asked what I wanted to do - shoot guns or ride motorcycles. As I couldn't do both at once I chose what I thought would get me in less trouble should the authorities take an interest. A quick familiarisation of the controls of a 650 scrambler and 3 hours of riding round some quiet streets later and I was hooked. That was 3 months ago. One theory/off road and on road test later and here I am, about to take delivery of my first bike.

The other half nicked my car as she worked nights. I also worked shifts so buses etc were unavailable. Couldn't afford a 2nd car so bought a scooter. Now rarely drive a car - bikes all the way.

As I am in my late 40's when I was younger it was just the normal thing to do at 16, get a 50cc bike/moped, I started with a un-restricted Yamaha FS1E, moved up to a Yamaha RS200 when I was 17, passed both my bike and car test 3 months after my 17th birthday.

I then just carried on with bikes as my standard form of transport where as the cars I also owned then became my toys had a Mk 1 Austin Healey Sprite (Frog Eye), MG Midget and Triumph GT6, the longterm bikes carried on with a Suzuki GT380, Honda 250 Superdream, Yamaha SR 500, Yamaha XJ600 and a few others inbetween.

Then normal service resumed with company cars etc, and the bikes went, but the bug has always been there, used to hire them on holiday etc, so just recently I have got my self a Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar Classic and I am loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

When i was about 5 i had a toy police bike, i think that was started me off, unfortunately the bike then drowned in the bath and all the electronics went in it so it got thrown out, however a couple of years later my uncle got himself a ped which after 20 minutes of been scared witless (didn't have a very good grip) i was hooked, hopefully buying my first bike (second time lucky) on friday. finally making my dream of 13 years and owning and riding my own bike. Yamaha Sr 125 :)

Not sure what my dad brought home when I was 7, but it was "big" and after the ride he took me on I was in heaven. He passed a year later and the only thing we had left after his estate was settled was a small Suzuki ped. My brother and I rebuilt it and he rode it to high school (he was 10 years older). I would putt around on it when he got home. It wasn't until a small group of my friends got crotch rockets (Ninga 250's) some 13 years later, that I even thought about motorcycles again. They begged and begged me to buy one. Well when gas hit $5gal a couple years back I did. It was a Yamy FZ6. I put all of 1500mi before the economy took most of what I had. 4 years later here I am with 2 kids and gas inching its way up again. Since I paid a fraction of what I paid the first time I hope I can keep her a bit longer. Gone are the gas sucking 4x4's I am so used to. I have way more fun on two.

Hope ya'll dont mind, (or even if it's allowed?!) I've shared this topic to Two Wheel Tarmac Terrorist on Facebook because I think this is one of the best subjects I've ever read on vehicle forums... and I've been on a few. Great stories guys and nice input from the novels to the one liners...

Why did I get into bikes? Well...

The short version is that my missus finally decided she wanted to get back into bikes about 4 years ago, her parents bought her a Jinlun 125-11 (seen in my garage) and I had the job of maintaining it. After a while I thought, if I'm spending all this time keeping the damn bike on the road I might as well be riding it, so just after two years ago I got my CBT and in April I got my license.. Like I said, that's the short version.

I was never a biker at heart, I was always curious but was always sure I'd be wrapped round the side of a house within 2 minutes of getting on a bike when I was younger. My dad was biker when he was a lad, riding AJS's and BSA's around English country lanes when the only thing you had to worry about were cowpats, tractors and if you were going to make 'that' corner 'this' time, which one time he didn't, but he was ok, otherwise I wouldn't here just now! My dad got back into biking about 6/7 years and still has on old, fully fair BMW R80 - beast of a machine - he's 70 next year! Mum used to get driven to work on the back of my grandpa's old bike, I can't remember what it was needless to say that I do know that if it was still in the family it would probably be priceless..

My wife's parents are both bikers, her dad having everything through his youth from Bonnies to triumphs and yamaha's to harleys, (not all with a proof of purchase ;) ). Changed times now as all parents are now part time leisure riders but I know they still itch for winding it on when they can.

About 5 years ago, before my wife had got back into biking and I hadn't even considered it I had a horrific accident with a biker on the A82 (you all know it). I was in my car. Foreign national, wrong side of the road etc,.. I don't need to go into details other than he died. I've thought long and hard about this since I've got into biking and can't work out if it there's any relevance or if even it's driven me into exploring biking. I don't think directly it has. I got into biking because of the initial reason at the begining of this 'novel' but now it's becoming my main form of transoprt and I'm loving it all weathers! I do think it makes me think more caustiously when I'm riding, I've never been a fast, knee down rider and never will be, I just love just being on the bike.

What made me get into biking, I think I knew I was missing out.

Well, i sued to ride Downhill Mountain Biking at National level and was always in to mountain bikes since i could first ride one. I never really took a shine to motorbike's until later in my life when i always though 'i should really get my licence' but it just never happened. Once i changed jobs, i was pretty much forced as the public transport route would have been very expensive and time consuming. I did my CBT in March and got my first bike (Yamaha R125). From that point forward i was hooked. I booked my theory and then after passing that booked my direct access course and could not wait for the day to obtain my full licence. That day has now come and i'm currently awaiting my first big boy bike (R6) to come in 5 days time.

I feel like a child looks forward to Christmas. It is truely euphoric!

Hi, my name's Pete and I'm an alcoh .... sorry, wrong forum!

My brother got through his moped test with the GPO at 16 so he could be a Telegram Boy, thus he could ferry me (age 13) round London on his Puch VZ50 Flying Banana (Google it and you'll see why). The seeds were planted.....

Move forward a year or two, now living in Suffolk, a pal and I were clearing an old geezer's garden and came across a rusty hulk of an Ariel Arrow in the hedge - "Take it away lads, I've no use for it". Pip's dad was a lifelong biker, so with his help we managed to breath some form of life into the old stroker and only ever used it as a field bike, never on the roads, not us little 14/15 year olds, no sir, not at all! The desire grew stronger ....

At last I hit 16 and got a bit of green paper from Swansea, a couple of Puch Maxis from the back of the local bike shop and a Norwich Union Rider Policy from the local broker - the roads were mine!

35 years and a rollercoaster ride up and down the capacity range and I'm still at it - had the longest 5 years of my life when an inner ear problem kept me off two wheels, all I could do was sit on the XS750 in the garage making 'Brrrmmm!' noises and whispering "Soon, my love. Soon!". Many thanks to Mr Mills of Ninewells Hospital Otolaryngology Department - I'm deaf in the right ear, but I ain't wobbled (while sober, anyway) for many years now.

So that's my tale - passed on the biker gene to number 1 son - he's got a Suzuki Bandit 600 just now, and it looks like my nephew has caught it too, in spite of his parents (my kid sister & her hubby) - he's just starting out on a Chinee thing (Jinlun 125-11 poseur cruiser).

Me brother who started it all? Did a spell as a Star Rider instructor on his BMW R80 then got married and had a thumb surgically implanted on top of his head - I still hope he'll come back to the fold one day.....

Sad as this sounds, the bikes never really caught my eye. I always liked the gear - the jackets give you great shoulders and the helmet makes you feel like a spaceman :spin2: Second to that, watching Long Way Round totally captivated me. Thirdly, watching bikers pass each morning in commuter hell while I sat in my comfy 2 litre TDi Skoda superb biting the steering wheel.

That said, when I took the plunge and took lessons I knew I would either love bikes or loathe them ........ I still remember shouting "woo-hoo" in the sweaty helmet issued to me by my bike instructor as I hit warp factor 25mph on the wee Honda cg. I now commute every day by bike and my faithful but jilted Skoda sits faithfully in the drive praying for ice & snow.

What got me into bikes.

I was fishing on a beach one fine day, about 5 years ago I would have been 13-14. I believe it was a TT600(80's model) thundering past me, he must have been doing atleast 120kmph. Just the sound of the motor made me love it. Since then I have loved the big displacment singles. Alot of my friends who are into bikes too tell me I should just be rid of my thumpers and get a smaller, newer bike, which will have more power! but it's just not the same.

However I should probably get them registered soon, before I get some fines. Oh - and get my license. :eusa_think:

When i was little my dad had a CD250u that he commuted on, then it sat on the drive for years under a cover, i used to pull the cover back and make brum brum noises whilst barely reaching the bars and certainly not the pegs, i begged him to keep it till i was old enough to ride it, sadly he didn't and sold it for £50 when i was about 10, needless to say i shed a tear or twelve.

3 years later a new friend made at secondary school has a motocross bike and his dad was seriously cool (reads 'very relaxed towards letting 12/13 year olds try and kill themselves') Needless to say i went straight home and begged to be allowed a dirt bike: NO NO NO NO NO AND NO, FOR THE FINAL TIME NO was the answer i got.

So pocket money was saved and i proceeded to purchase a mid 70's C70 from a very unnerving chap, smoking a roll up, lurking behind a block of garages after school one day for the sum of £5.

Its new home was to be said friends laid back dad's back garden, but en route i bumped into PC Plod, was accused of stealing it, had the numbers checked and cleared and sent on my way with the biggest adrenalin rush i had ever experienced!

The next couple of years flew by with all my spare time spent dicing with death at my friends place and out on the dirt, going from C70 to DT80 to DT250, none of which the folks ever knew anything about :)

My 16th birthday was approaching, my mates parents were buying them 50cc trailies left right and centre, i gathered my best evidence for my case and presented to my parents: NO NO NO NO NO AND NO AGAIN, hmmm i need more leverage i thought.

After a couple more months and my exams approaching, i had the plan, an apprenticeship, an apprenticeship that's not on a public transport route and too far to cycle, it has to work, it just has to!

The jobs papers were read front to back, the folks were off my back as i seemed to be trying to make something of my life instead of moaning about how hard done by i was, then there it was, the job i had been looking for, all the criteria matched, apprentice truck mechanic (motorcycle mechanic would have been better but beggars cant be choosers) in the right location, out of cycling distance, off the main drag.

A cv was posted and i franticly started to refurbish an old mini cylinder head i had in the shed (part of a school project) to show the potential employer i had more potential than the next 16 year old waste of skin.

I listened smugly as i over hear mother on the phone one evening telling a relative how much i had grown up lately and how i was applying for jobs already, if only she knew.

I come home from school one day to find an answer phone message for me, I HAD AN INTERVIEW!

The mini's newly refurbed cylinder head was wrapped in clean rags and placed in a sports holdall by the front door, 3 days before the interview, those were the longest 3 days of my life i think.

Sat in a garage managers office wearing a shirt and tie bought specially for the occasion, mother outside waiting in the car, i proceeded to impress with my knowledge of engines (all be it very limited) and sensing the moment was right, produced the cylinder head 'If this don't swing it nothing will' i think.

The managers eyes light up, he asked if i did it all myself, i say my dad showed me how to do the first valve and i did the rest, i even asked if he had a straight edge and feelers to show him the head was out of true and needed a skim

"When can you start" asks the Manager "Tomorrow is good for me" i reply, soon to be shot down in flames with the reminder he wouldn't see me miss my exams, so could start as soon as they finish.

Parents over the moon i stay quiet and revise for exams, then, worried i wouldn't be able to get a bike in time i broach the subject

"So obviously im going to have to get a bike to get to work after my exams"

"No no, you can get the bus." "But the bus doesn't run past there in time for me to get to work, i already checked"

They both wrack their brains for an hour or so, coming up with ridiculous ways of getting to work, non of witch were practical at all, "Well you will have to finance it yourself and insure it yourself" "No problem, i have been saving" was my reply.

The very next week i took my cbt and purchased a 1985 Honda MT50, my very first road legal bike, 6 months later i took my restricted licence just after my 17th birthday and motorcycles were my sole transport for the next 4 years.

Needless to say i have always had a bike on the road ever since that MT50 and hope life allows me to continue like this for many years to come.

I think i just wanted what i wasn't allowed to have as a child.....................A Bloody good time!

Oh and my parents met at a motorcycle club when they were 18, but yet the seemed intent on steering me away from 2 wheels for the rest of their lives

Thanks, one of those situations you remember so vividly even years on.

I quickly learnt that i was never going to afford to own more then one motorcycle on a Mech's wage, so now i make the petrol we all love to burn and own 5 :)

My dad was a harley man and introduced me at 9yrs old to a harley sportster. I went to sturgis with him one year which is a bike rally in south dakota and i was hooked ever since. my mother wouldn't allow me to get a motorcycle so I planned on getting one after i got out on my own. I had to postpone my dream of owning a bike for a long time cause i couldn't afford one and my credit was horrible. I basically put it on the back burner and taking care of what was most important to me. Now that i am in my mid 30s I finally realized my dream of owning a bike when I Finally aquired an old 1978 yamaha xs400 by trading a computer for it.

My ex-wifes father is a Legion Rider and Harley Owner and knows a lot about motorcycles. He is helping me from time to time with this project. So far i cleaned the carbs, got a battery and charged it. Next i have to get a couple new spark plugs and possibly ignition coils.(if there is no fire with the new plugs). I gave it an oil and filter change. All that is left to do is put it all back together and try starting it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online