1998 xj600 clutch problems

saltz
This post is 2056 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI All, have just bought my first big Bike, a 98 xj600s. Have riden it a few times now and seems like gear change Is getting worse. I gave it a service and new oil done it the world of good. Prob Is when I am changing down I realy have to stamp On the leaver. And also a recent thing Is when in first at the lights with clutch in, if I give it a little rev the Bike will edge forward. Tryd to adjust cable but no joy. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like clutch drag, not enough adjustment, you should probably try a new cable if it hasn't been changed from new. Or put a spacer in front of the nipple at the engine end of the cable to see if that cures the problem before you buy a new cable. worst case is worn cluth friction plates, dont go there until you have tried everything else. Does it make a noise when you pull the clutch in with it in gear? graunchy metal to metal sound if not then probably just adjustment and not plates. :)

Should also add that this is the new member section an not the "HELP MY BIKE DONT WORK" section, say Hi and then post in workshop or people will get stroppy. Nuf said!

HI All, have just bought my first big Bike, a 98 xj600s. Have riden it a few times now and seems like gear change Is getting worse. I gave it a service and new oil done it the world of good. Prob Is when I am changing down I realy have to stamp On the leaver. And also a recent thing Is when in first at the lights with clutch in, if I give it a little rev the Bike will edge forward. Tryd to adjust cable but no joy. Any ideas?

I'm sure, in fact I know, there are a lot of members on this forum who know the answer to your problem. But won't reply unless you have introduced yourself properly. e.g

Who are you?

How old are you?

Male/Female?

Where do you come from?

What bike/bikes have you? (obviously a 98 xj600s) (same as mine)

Interests?

To appreciate why we get annoyed as MMR says.

Should also add that this is the new member section an not the "HELP MY BIKE DONT WORK" section, say Hi and then post in workshop or people will get stroppy. Nuf said!

Go to the General Area (Yamabyss) and look at the thread "SORT THE NEWBIES OUT!!!"

If you want to become an active member of the forum and not just a "one off, help me I'm stuck I need help" You will get help and have a good banter with all the rest of us.

I do know what the answer to your problem is, but I'm off to bed now. will have a look at your response tomorrow and possibly reply.

Hi All, sorry about the help me message, first time forum user, as I said got a xj600 as my first bike at 30 after 5 years of my mrs saying I ain't having a bike! Fond gp follower, and this might not help but stoner Is king! Lol. Living in Port talbot. One More thing " COME ON THE SWANS". Now in tho flight football.

Welcome sultz ;)

What your problem is,

Is this

Commonly known as the clutch thrust bearing.

IMGP1041.jpg

salz clutches usually have an adyustment (not cable adjustment) sometimes there is a pointer on the clutch arm and a mark on the casing that must align if you push the arm until it stops. I suggest you get a Haynes manual and have a look-see.

Welcome sultz ;)

What your problem is,

Is this

Commonly known as the clutch thrust bearing.

IMGP1041.jpg

Also look at this. knackered bearing.(movie)

th_IMGP1597.jpg

What a bearing/washer should look like.(movie)

th_IMGP1599.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 7/29/2011 at 10:40 AM, saltz said:

It sounds like the selector forks or dog ends on the gears. Or maybe the pilot  error lol

On 7/31/2011 at 10:52 PM, saltz said:

Back again, anyone know where I can get the bearings from, been looking All day and can't find them, thanks

They are online as Colchester Bearings or Pola Bearings they should be able to help

• 2 weeks later...
CLUTCH PRESSURE PLATE BEARING 93340-21505 £8.83     

August 2011 so might be a bit more money.

From Fowlers of Bristol. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online