82 XT125 cutting out over 1/2 throttle

This post is 4657 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I became the new owner of a 1982 XT125 that is in great shape. But it cut's out when ever you go past 1/2 throttle. Runs awsome other-wise. Have pulled carb an cleaned, idles fine, checked fuel tank , lines , filters, all flow fine. Acts like lacking gas , but I know thats not the case. I do have an issue with the lights though. If I turn on the signal lights with the brake on , the signals won't work right and the tail-light dims. I have tried by-passing the little green thing bolted to the frame neck on the right side with a red & white wire and lights work fine then. Don't know what that part is nor can I find it to buy. Also does it need to have a battery to function properly ? I just can't afford to spend much on it replacing parts that I don't need to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a blocked main jet even though you have cleaned the carb...could you have missed this...did you see daylight through the orifice??

I would say yes you need a battery, your generator wont be powerfull enough to operate on-board equipment without one. As for disconnecting anything....... when you get a battery you should reconnect that gadget we'll look at that later

I know the jets are all clear and clean. Removed them and used a good carb cleaner along with compressed air to make sure all passages where clear. Does kinda make sense about the battery.

I know the jets are all clear and clean. Removed them and used a good carb cleaner along with compressed air to make sure all passages where clear. Does kinda make sense about the battery.

That sure is a symptom of a main jet blocked,if it were me I would double check unless you are sure you saw daylight :rolleyes:

Unless of course you arent letting her warm up properly

I know you say you've cleaned it with carb cleaner and compressed air, but like OG asked, can you actually see daylight through the jet so to speak, I only ask because one of my lads mates came round yesterday and his main jet was blocked,(spluttered at top end)so I got him to clean it within an inch of it's life with carb cleaner, it was only after I reamed it with a wooden backed wire brish single wire, and then fed fishing line through it,ran the jet up and down on that, that I could see a full circle of daylight through it, as before it was like a partial eclipse inside, if ya get me.

Just to please everyone I will pull the carb for the fourth time and check it out again. Again I will remove the main jet and run a torch tip cleaner through it as I have done before. I will try to take pictures to show also. OK lol I even have a filter in-line before the carb. This is why I wondered if it could be an electrical issue.

Just to please everyone I will pull the carb for the fourth time and check it out again. Again I will remove the main jet and run a torch tip cleaner through it as I have done before. I will try to take pictures to show also. OK lol I even have a filter in-line before the carb. This is why I wondered if it could be an electrical issue.

Thats the first time we have heard this, please yourself and good luck whatever it is, FYI it would not have been the first time a carb had been claimed to have been cleaned only to be found still blocked later in the thread!

Main jet was clean and clear. Turned out to be one half of the stator assembly was bad, had evidence of melting the epoxy coating of the windings. Replaced with a used one , runs great now.