where to find VIN number?

Dean_DT
This post is 4292 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys, about to try and register my DT125R but looked on the headstock today (which is where i was told vin was?) and theres nothing there.

Pleeeease tell me its stamped somewhere else as i dont want to have bought a ringer! :lol:

Getting worried now..... done dvla vehicle enquiry and gives me this

The vehicle details for F490 GTU are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2011

Date of First Registration 07 01 1989

Year of Manufacture 1989

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 124CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour WHITE

Vehicle Type Approval

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £0.00

12 Months Rate £16.00

Date of liability means its on sorn until 01/10/2011 right? so someone has had it on road recently as sorn is 12month agreement right?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mines on the headstock Dean (2003) Most bikes are in my experience. Ask NEV his is an older model isnt it?

Aye on the right hand side where the frame meets the headstock ;)

Also bear in mind that the original engine number, should be the same as the vin on the frame

christ, your ears burning then?? :lol:

what does it look like on yours NEV? mine has a weird number on it, mate is gonna have a look for that number now and message it to me will post up shortly

Aye on the right hand side where the frame meets the headstock ;)

Also bear in mind that the original engine number, should be the same as the vin on the frame

Has it been powder coated Dean?

NEV my engine / frame #,s are different. I think that this happened somewhere along the line for some reason

It has been powdercoated, but i can still see another number on there? unless the vin plate/num would have been ruined by shotblasting?

shotblasting does ruin the numbers, it did on my DT175, barely readable now after several re-coats

Have a good look with a magnifying glass and compare it to your V5C

NEV my engine / frame #,s are different. I think that this happened somewhere along the line for some reason

Must have been on the earlier stuff then, because my 93 xt600 vin and engine numbers are both the same too,can't remember if my xt125 numbers are also, off hand, I'll check tomorrow.

Dean, I'll take a pic of mine for you tomorrow, all covered up at the min, but mine also has been shotblasted and powdercoated, and pretty faint, but readable just.

Must have been on the earlier stuff then, because my 93 xt600 vin and engine numbers are both the same too,can't remember if my xt125 numbers are also, off hand, I'll check tomorrow.

Dean, I'll take a pic of mine for you tomorrow, all covered up at the min, but mine also has been shotblasted and powdercoated, and pretty faint, but readable just.

yeah my DT175 are the same, its the later bikes and i think ALL later bikes that are different, dont know when it changed tho

If you think about it, you have a bike thats nicked and a straight engine, then you use the engine number with the bike and deliberately powdercoat the headstock heavily. Ta daaaa. Easy ringer.

SO if that was the case, will i just be able to use the engine number as frame number to register it?

Well yes and no, on my DT125 the engine number corresponds exactly with the frame, but on my XT600 the frame has 17 characters, and engine 9, but its the last 6 numbers on both, on the XT that match each other, so with your DT you'd have to be 100% certain that the engine you have is the original engine that went on that frame.

The only thing you can use your engine number for deffo, is if it basically corresponds with your frame, and theres a couple of characters/numbers you can't quite make out, due to shotblasting and powdercoating.

ok so say i cant match those numbers, and cant find/see a frame num, can i still register the bike or is it gonna need a new frame?

Give us 15 min, I'll go take a pic of where mine are on the frame for you

Give us 15 min, I'll go take a pic of where mine are on the frame for you

There ya go

img0176az.jpg

That is where mine is. how many digits is your frame num nev?

3 characters/numbers a hyphon or a space then 6 numbers

9 characters in total Dean

Edited by NEV