About to go out on bike for first time, any tips?

Dean_DT
This post is 4660 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

So.... i bought my bike on tuesday and so far have ridden it up and down the close at half throttle in a straight line, turned, then come back again.

Today though i am off to four marks to get some practice in. i know 90% of it will be trial and error and just getting confident with the bike and more importantly myself, but anyone have any tips for me?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That first trip out on your own is one to remember, go somewhere nice, rather than sit in heavy traffic in the middle of a town somewhere.

Go out on some quiet scenic route and just get used to it, enjoy it :)

the best thing i did when i got my 1st bike was to go out and get lost, drove 120 miles that day and eventually found my way back home :lol: but was one of the best rides iv had so far!

haha, im going off road guys, not got my CBT done yet! :lol:

oh ....lol :lol:

ok then try and go as slow as you can (under 5 mph) using clutch and throttle control (without putting your feet down!) comes in handy in traffic and shows good control on your cbt, then try turning as slow as you can (more tricky then it sounds) then get it up to 2nd or 3rd then slow down to a crawl then repeat the whole lot till u can do it all without putting your feet down.

try an emergency stop .......mark a point in the dirt (thats where you will do the emergency stop) ......you need to be able to get to 30/35mph b4 u hit the mark. then apply both the brakes (but not the clutch) till you stop but try and pull the clutch in at the last minute so the bike dont stall....

your trying to hit at least 30mph and slam on the brakes without locking up the wheels and if you dont pull your clutch in till the very last minute, your back wheel wont lock up!

then all i can say is just piss about with it and get your confidence up, oh dont forget your life savers lol

Oh, off road. On road tyres...

Ok some basics, the front brake is the devils tool till you get used to its limits avoid as it will tuck the front and dump you in the dirt.

Figure out where the power is on your bike and how it comes in and try to ride just under it, so opening the throttle will get decent go, but the motor isn't racing uneccesarily.

Your stopping distances will be H__U__G__E.

Stay on your feet, knees bent.

Get used to falling off, you will.

Some great advice there guys, but if im honest i forgot it all and just did what felt natural at the time. Unfortunately i didnt get to ride my bike, throttle cable snapped when i started her up, but bonus was i got to ride my mates sons KX80, which is bloody pokey for such a small bike, but was far too small for me so i ended up riding his Honda CRF250.... What a machine! Think im definately going to have to get myself a 4stroke 250 after a year or two! :lol: