I'm Giving It A Go!!!

weimieman
This post is 4431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey you were lucky to find that 'Tower'..? carrier weimi...just the thing for a weekend camping at squires...the perfect place to showcase her... ;)

Spot on Paul. It was from Tower in Blackpool and everything on its dated back to the early 80's including the little cardboard tag attached by string. Of course being me, I've kept the tag ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

top job mate :thumb:

would be great to see it in the flesh @ squires

Ta very much :) I'm aiming for the next meet but I might just bring some pics and arrive on something that can get me there in less than three days!!!!

That look Flash wiemie" cool 125,,,, :yay:

Thanks a lot, much appreciated. Glad to be able to keep her on the road for another 25 years !!

UPDATE LATE PM 8-11-11

DISASTER STRIKES

Well not so much disaster, but a mild inconvenience to be honest.

After having a tinker in the garage last night I noticed a smell of petrol which I didn't worry too much about as next to my bikes there is an unleaded can with the top off (empty of course) so I just assumed it was that.

Further inspection I was sure that it was the pipe off the petcock and putting it on or off in the last few months must have stressed it so a quick trim back and I thought it was sorted. Nope. Its the flipping gasket between the petcock and the tank.

That really is a lesson I've learnt for my next project that little consumables like that should be replaced as they are 25 years old at the end of the day. Until I get some gasket material at the weekend, I've been "forced" to lay her up in the back garden in my plastic greenhouse as the smell is wafting up into the lounge. Bloody women, they don't appreciate the manly smells of motorbikes as she hates the smell of a 2 stroke! I'm sure there is something in the wedding vows about love, honour obey and appreciate 2 strokes. No? Must be my bad memory then :)

Glad you got that sorted Weimi, woulda been a bit awkward had you taken it out for a run. Oh by the way can you take a pic of it in the greenhouse for me please mate, when you get 5 mins spare, as I'm interested as to how much room there is for a bike in one, I take it you kept the shelving in it still?

Cheers Nev

Glad you got that sorted Weimi, woulda been a bit awkward had you taken it out for a run. Oh by the way can you take a pic of it in the greenhouse for me please mate, when you get 5 mins spare, as I'm interested as to how much room there is for a bike in one, I take it you kept the shelving in it still?

Cheers Nev

Will do. I'll take one tonight when I get in and upload in the morning when I get back to work. To be honest, I think it'll fit quite well but I kinda just half heartedly chucked it in last night as with it being a nice day after a cold night, the roof plastic was full of condensation and any slight tap on the framework was casuing it to drip down my neck so it was a case of "bugger that" and I left the back wheel poking out slightly. One side zipped up fine and the other is about two thirds down. I've got a feeling that it should fit in fine but worse case scenario you'd have to remove the far shelf so you can really swing the front wheel in. Don't know what my insurers will say though as it kinda goes behind the definintion of a brick built property to house the bike in!

"I don't know how they got in M'lud, maybe they used a blow torch or a stanley knife, it's beyond me"

Will do. I'll take one tonight when I get in and upload in the morning when I get back to work. To be honest, I think it'll fit quite well but I kinda just half heartedly chucked it in last night as with it being a nice day after a cold night, the roof plastic was full of condensation and any slight tap on the framework was casuing it to drip down my neck so it was a case of "bugger that" and I left the back wheel poking out slightly. One side zipped up fine and the other is about two thirds down. I've got a feeling that it should fit in fine but worse case scenario you'd have to remove the far shelf so you can really swing the front wheel in. Don't know what my insurers will say though as it kinda goes behind the definintion of a brick built property to house the bike in!

"I don't know how they got in M'lud, maybe they used a blow torch or a stanley knife, it's beyond me"

Ha ha, talking of garaging for insurance, I managed to get them to cover me for 'private property', rather than just the garage, so now it can be kept on driveway, and front of house as well as garage, as I'm buggered if I'm going to keep dragging bike in and out of the garage mid afternoon, oh and Carole Nash sorted me out for that Agreed Value policy btw. Just been reading a bike mag in the upstairs library and noticed theres an autojumble at Hamilton House in Garstang, Sun Nov 20th, if you need owt?

Ha ha, talking of garaging for insurance, I managed to get them to cover me for 'private property', rather than just the garage, so now it can be kept on driveway, and front of house as well as garage, as I'm buggered if I'm going to keep dragging bike in and out of the garage mid afternoon, oh and Carole Nash sorted me out for that Agreed Value policy btw. Just been reading a bike mag in the upstairs library and noticed theres an autojumble at Hamilton House in Garstang, Sun Nov 20th, if you need owt?

Thanks for the heads up on Garstang but until I can think of the next project I'll be steering clear of these wonderful aladin's caves. Thank God auto jumbles don't take credit cards as my car would be full!

Glad you got the policies sorted :)

I've been to the Garstng one, and its a not brilliant. Something to do of an afternoon

Ta very much :) I'm aiming for the next meet but I might just bring some pics and arrive on something that can get me there in less than three days!!!!

its not just the yamaha club meet weimi, its the 2 stroke rideout, you would definitely regret not being a part of it me thinks!

2 wheels came from Southern Ireland on his DT125R...via Scotland...you should do it in 3/4 hours easily

Ive been following this thread,,,,,just never comented,,,,,but i will now.

Nice Job On The Restore,,Weimie

Squires eh! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Get her running sweet and serviced good and she will bring you there no boather.

Like Paul said,,,,,, i came from Irleand on mine,,, not one prolem did i have,,,,apart from a sore arse and constantly waching the fuel level,,,,small tank for long trips. So for pure pleasure and enjoyment bring her to Squires with ya,,,,,,youll be glad ya did.

Pat

loving the finished result wiemmie! my mates still got his old dtlc in the garage an its a crying shame. classic's are meant to be ridden....top notch stuff!

its not just the yamaha club meet weimi, its the 2 stroke rideout, you would definitely regret not being a part of it me thinks!

2 wheels came from Southern Ireland on his DT125R...via Scotland...you should do it in 3/4 hours easily

Me thinks you would be correct in that statement! Every effort will be made I assure you.

Ive been following this thread,,,,,just never comented,,,,,but i will now.

Nice Job On The Restore,,Weimie

Squires eh! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Get her running sweet and serviced good and she will bring you there no boather.

Like Paul said,,,,,, i came from Irleand on mine,,, not one prolem did i have,,,,apart from a sore arse and constantly waching the fuel level,,,,small tank for long trips. So for pure pleasure and enjoyment bring her to Squires with ya,,,,,,youll be glad ya did.

Pat

Cheers for following the thread Pat. Its nice to know that I've done something people find interesting!

I'm fairly sure if you can make it from over the water then I can make the effort from a few hours away :)

I'm kinda wishing I did replace that seat sponge now!

loving the finished result wiemmie! my mates still got his old dtlc in the garage an its a crying shame. classic's are meant to be ridden....top notch stuff!

Thanks for that :)

I bet you can picture some of your polished parts on her can't you :hyper:

Heading over to yours now to see how you're getting on

• 3 months later...

Morning all

Just a quick few lines to catch up with you lot. I think it was towards the end of November when I last posted so I would imagine that a lot of you will be cringing now knowing that I have a couple of months worth of blah blah to bang on about but sadly, no.

Nothing to exciting to report really. The usual slowed me down from posting and keeping up with everybody's projects. Christmas, work, etc etc. You know the score.

I have kept dropping in from time to time seeing how everyone was but just from google so I have been around, just not putting any of my ramblings on the screen :)

As for my trusty DT, she's well and currently in a slow charge due to lack of activity over the past few months. To be honest, she's been in the garage in bits again due to an ongoing petrol leak that I just couldn't get on top of. Long story short, fixed it at the weekend with some super duper petrol resistant rubber. I made a up a couple of gaskets and within 30 mins no more leaks. If anybody is experiencing the same sort of issues, drop me a line for this miracle product. I need about two square inches but the minimum order was two square METRES so if you need some, I'm here :)

MInd you, the petrol leak was the least of the DT's worries. Remember that really bad wind we had before Christmas? Well I'd bought one of the larger plastic greenhouses for the back garden so the DT could have her own personal space. Apparently she didn't get on the with Goldwing in the garage as, in her opinion, bikes shouldn't have that much plastic on them with a great big clear wardrobe door at the front. Her words, not mine.

Anyway, the greenhouse was weighed down well at each corner with some patio flags as I didn't want it floating away with my pride and joy in it like a scene out of the Wizard of Oz. What I didn't factor in was the constant rocking of the thing, quite agressively from side to side.

After one of my daily checks to make sure everything was okay, I noticed some white powder on the floor by the front wheel. As I looked closer, there was some red powder as well. The naive part of me thought it was just something that could have perished in the cold weather, the realistic part of me knew it was going to be nasty.

It couldn't have been worse (it could obviously but I like to dramatise). The red and white powder were what remained of my once colourful front mudguard. The plastic shelf in the greenhouse had been rubbing on the mudguard overnight becuase of the high winds rocking it side to side. Rubbed down to the original plastic. I was gutted.

Nevermind I thought. I enjoyed the experience of the spraying and preparing the first time. The second time I would be a little better (probably). Worse things happen at sea, write it off to experience. At least it can't get any worse. FATAL ............. LAST ................ WORDS.................

A couple of days had passed and I was checking in on the old girl again to make sure everything was okay. The shelf had been removed so no more rubbing of the paint. Check. Patio flags still securing the greenhouse at each corner. Check. Overwhelming smell of petrol even in an outdoors greenhouse. Check. What? Who? How???? The leak had returned, big time.

Again, no biggie. Its December now and let's face it, she's not going anywhere until the weather improves and that isn't going to be anytime soon. Off with the rad cover, seat and tank screw. Tank drained and laid safely to rest in the garage. Meh, that can wait a while, no rush. Insert nagging from wife about smell of petrol in the garage floating up into the lounge!!! Yeah you could smell it, but from a male point of view, it's not unpleasant is it? It's like the smell of a two stroke. It's a blokey thing isn't it? Right. A few layers of shrink wrap on the tank to protect it and I'm afraid you're relagated to the greenhouse. You know, the greenhouse that has served me so well so far and not caused me any problems whatsoever <insert sarcastic comment here>.

The next day I did my little scout outside to make sure everything was okay and obviously it wasn't. The wind had rocked everything a little, but just enough to move the tank slightly and just enough to allow what little bit of petrol was left in to leak out and get trapped between the tank and the shrink wrap. Despited some frantic unwrapping like an over anxious five year old on Christmas morning, it was too late, the damage was done. The petrol had eaten into all of my top coats and undercoats revealing primer all along one edge. Where it hadn't gone all the way through, it's left a very creased effect in what was once a bright shiny diamond white tank with freshly laid decals. Gutted was not the word I would have used. The swear box that day overflowed and paid entirely for Christmas 2011 with a lot left over for a couple of good holidays in 2012.

Even my wife said that I enjoyed doing it the first time so just strip it again, respray and put new decals on. "Just" she said "just". I know she didn't know how many hours of blood sweat and tears I put into that tank so I think she was kinda feeling guilty for kicking the tank out of the garage in the first place and giving me her "blessing" to spend more money on a bike she hates was a way of easing her guilt!

Anyway, to be honest, Christmas came and went, my job changed at work and both bikes took a back burner so to speak (not to mention, this forum).

After fixing the petrol leak with the miracle rubber last weekend, I have kind of accepted the tanks new rugged looks and I think I'll leave it. It looks, well, rugged. There was a danger last year that the old girl was looking a little too good to be used on the roads again, let alone the beach which really was my sole intention of getting the bike in the first place. I'll be honest though, the mudguard is annoying me but rather than a complete respray, I think I'll just be doing some nice touching up to fill in the gaps. My wife even bought me book on spraying and pinstriping for Christmas. I quite like this new guilty version wife. I bet I can mile this for a while. "Guilty wife" lasted until about the 4th of Jan and "old wife" returned asking me when I was going to get rid of the bike as I hadn't ridden it yet! Ho hum, it was nice while it lasted.

So thats pretty much me up to speed. If anyone would like to see the pics of the various damages, I'll post some over the weekend. It might even brighten your day when you realise things could be worse. Much worse. You could have bought a greenhouse for your bike :)

So to summise, I hope you're all well and your projects are going great guns and I vow to do better with my forum activity from now on.

Good to hear from you Weimi mate, sorry to hear about all the mishaps mind, I reckon you're gunna have to bite the bullet and get some white 'Two Pack' paint, and take the tank to be sprayed by a pro, that tank of mine is much better for resistance to petrol, since thats been sprayed with it, I must say.

You still down to Brixham this month btw? gizza shout if you still are.

Yeah it's going to annoy me enough to eventually re spray it properly. Mind you, I think I'll rack up some dirty miles on it first though. Even bought myself one of those little suction helmet camera mounts for when I start mucking about.

Be down your neck of the woods later on in the year, prop late sept/early oct. The April/May holiday we always head North. MInd you, that'll be depending on fuel prices!!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online