restricting an XJ600 f

Barcus
This post is 4635 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi... I am after some advice.

As the wife is expecting our 2nd nipper, she's gone off the boil on the bike outings (SHAME!) so a local lad has expressed his interest in buying my XJ600f 1989 pre-diversion. Only problem is the bike has 72bhp and he needs to restrict it to 33bhp... is this possible with this model and if so, where does he get the parts from? How much will it cost?

THANKS.... You are always a mine of info. on the site..... I love my bike, but she's going, going and nearly Gone.... (I AM offcially very sad!)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Barcus, good to see another XJ600 pre div owner on here!

they can be restricted and im pretty sure most parts are still available through your yamaha dealer (they may even be willing to fit it for you) failing that the kits sometimes appear on ebay but will need the certificate (again, a dealer or M/C garage may be able to help you out).

ive never bothered restricting mine and never had a problem, only some insurance companies request to see the restriction certificate.

EDIT: just out of interest what mileage has yours got?

Approx cost for a restriction kit is £250 + fitting. The part will be next to nothing (a washer or some description) but the cost goes on the certificate.

Graham

Cheers for the info mate. I love my XJ... so not too bothered if he doesn't want it (but seems rather keen.... bugger!)

I'll pass on the info to him and send him your thread too....

Sounds a lot of wonga for a few piddly washers.... bit of a stealth tax (yet again).

My XJ is a 1989 (F plate) 51J model with 30k original on the clock. She looks VERY pretty and goes like a nympho with her drawers on fire.

I have only once taken it to the local airfield and clocked 120mph on the clocks (so probably not too accurate). Otherwise, I tend to razz about with the wife (until she became preggers again... Hooray! Been trying for bloomin ages) around the country lanes of Norfolk. Love it !! I'll be sorry to see her go, but there you have it.

CHEERS FOR THE HELP>>>> Al,m the best..

Hey Barcus, good to see another XJ600 pre div owner on here!

they can be restricted and im pretty sure most parts are still available through your yamaha dealer (they may even be willing to fit it for you) failing that the kits sometimes appear on ebay but will need the certificate (again, a dealer or M/C garage may be able to help you out).

ive never bothered restricting mine and never had a problem, only some insurance companies request to see the restriction certificate.

EDIT: just out of interest what mileage has yours got?

30k miles... what's yours like? any pics to make me drool.?

got a few pics, mines got nearly 40k on it now and it had 32k on it in august '10 lol.

since these photos were taken ive fitted engine bars and the bellypan fell off as it was already damaged around the fassteners when i bought it

9a189f7b.jpg

22376b3c.jpg

apart from that the only mods ive got are heated grips and a motad exhaust

Sorry... Thanks for the pics. I just realised I replied to you, but in the wrong name.

Yours has the original mirrors and indicators... both of which I prefer.. but mine has a rather longer screen which deflects the wind straight over me heed.

I'll take her out for a spin before she leaves home.

All the best.. Justin

£172.99 for the kit but you have to be a dealer to buy http://www.fiinternational.com/ShowDetails.asp?name=XJ600&type=Yamaha (perhaps £250 was the price fitted??)

The fitting instructions show you just how little your money buys http://www.fiinternational.com/FiResKitA42.pdf

Maybe £173 is an insurance cost in case the restrictor kit produces 34bhp and you sue them???

i had to replace both the front indicators as i dropped it getting it off the stand in the above pics and also again on the opposite side when unloading it from a trailer a few weeks ago, the originals are exactly the same as the diversion ones and i think i got a pair for £15 postead or around that mark, also fitted a new seat cover yesterday

the restrictor is just a few washers, never bothered with it myself but each to their own.

I put the restriction on my 1300 as I like my licence too much to risk being pulled by Mr Plod (otherwise = no licence + no insurance). After 11 months the restriction was off and I had the bonus of a 'new' bike.

That's a great looking bike you've got there :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online