Genral maintenance

Late Starter
This post is 4656 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I went into halfords earlier to get some polish for my exhaust and noticed some motorcycle chain lube and motorcyle chain cleaner. Do I need some of this and how often am I supposed to put lube on the chain? Is there anything else I am supposed to do to my bike every now and then or any other products that I might need that I don't know about?

Thanks. :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys,

I went into halfords earlier to get some polish for my exhaust and noticed some motorcycle chain lube and motorcyle chain cleaner. Do I need some of this and how often am I supposed to put lube on the chain? Is there anything else I am supposed to do to my bike every now and then or any other products that I might need that I don't know about?

Hello LS, maintaining your chain must be high up on your list possibly only second to changing engine oil regularly. I use Halfords chain cleaner and find it brilliant, then coat the chain with the engine oil recommended for the bike every week. if buying spray on chain lube/wax make sure it's ok to use with O.ring chains.(if your bike is fitted with one)

As for other maintenance I strongly recommend buying a Haynes manual for your bike, at the front under routine maintenance it tells you what to do and when to do it i.e. every six months/500 miles. Costs about £20.00 but money well spent and will save you loads of money by doing it yourself.

sorry mike but engine oil on chains just isnt up to the job, I've obviously been there and tried it but it washes off with rain far quicker than pukka chain lube. I prefer the sticky oily one to the dry (how can you lube summat dry?) type. Ohh and I clean the chain with a rag soaked in WD40, thats good for me. ;)

Can-O-Worms, get your free Can-O-Worms here

Each to their own

+1 for 2nd hand Engine oil, on a regular basis, used very sparingly of course, mingled with lots of 'wash downs' using garden centre parafin,

works for me

Hi guys,

No need to buy a Haynes yet, there should be a maintenance list in your owners handbook, check it out or get one.

Dont spend money on fancy dan chain cleaners, buy some parrafin, take the chain off and wash it in that, hang it up to dry, when dry spray it the sticky oil type chain lube (I use Silkolene), refit and tension chain, check rear brake. Engine oil is full of contaminants. When youve been riding longer, you will become more prepared and comfortable to take on more complictaed maintenance works and adjustments, thats the time to buy the Haynes :)

sorry mike but engine oil on chains just isnt up to the job, I've obviously been there and tried it but it washes off with rain far quicker than pukka chain lube. I prefer the sticky oily one to the dry (how can you lube summat dry?) type. Ohh and I clean the chain with a rag soaked in WD40, thats good for me. ;)

In some ways Paul I totally agree with you, I have tried cleaning with WD40 (good) "muck off" de-greaser, (not to good). but I do find Holts (bought in Halfords)chain de-greaser the best.

As for lube, I've tried spray on lube, spray on wax, but at the moment soaking one of the wifes teatowels in engine oil seems to work as long as I do it every week bearing in mind the chain guard keeps most of the rain off.

Even at my age I do value advice. Would WD40 be alright for chain cleaner and lubricant?

take the chain off

That's great when you've got a chain with a removable link, but an endless chain isn't so easy to remove unless I'm missing something here? <_<

No sir just for cleaning. ;)

Cheers Paul :rolleyes:

does everyone who has a chain link replace every time as per recommended by the chain peeps?

I'm always a bit dubious about taking the spring link off and putting it back on, so tend to clean and oil it in situ.

But to take the chain off to oil it is madness :blink:

Why? I'd love to take my chain off and soak it in whatever to clean it.

To take an endless chain off I think you have to remove the rear wheel and disconnect the swing arm?

Late Starter, this is what this forum is about, we seem to go off in a tangent.

I hope all this helps your original question.

Why? I'd love to take my chain off and soak it in whatever to clean it.

To take an endless chain off I think you have to remove the rear wheel and disconnect the swing arm?

It's just not necessary, just put the bike on it's stand and clean the chain insitu...no need to soak it in anything...matter of fact I dont think 'soaking' it in a cleaning solution/solvent will be anything but bad pactice as it will dispell the lube from between the rollers and plates.

It's just not necessary, just put the bike on it's stand and clean the chain insitu...no need to soak it in anything...matter of fact I dont think 'soaking' it in a cleaning solution/solvent will be anything but bad pactice as it will dispell the lube from between the rollers and plates.

I'd agree with that.

Also agree with the advice to buy a Haynes manual, had one for every bike I've owned, £25 in Halfords (cheaper on Ebay) and you'll save that over and over just by following the basic routine maintenance advice in there.

As for chains I've a Scotoiler fitted, great bit of kit!!!!

Hi guys,

The chain on my little bike is not expensive nor are the sprockets, all I do is rub the chain down with a paraffin or kerosene soaked rag once in a while depending on miles covered about 100 miles normally, I then slack the chain off, oil it with what ever oil I have at hand. At the moment I use chainsaw chain oil as I have some spare I then adjust the chain to give me about 25 mm of slack. To check that the chain does not pull too tight I sit on the bike to compress the suspension and then check that the chain does not bind up. Also if the chain looks particularly dry and I have ridden in the rain or off road, then I will give it a rub down and a re-oil

Please be very careful because if your fingers get caught in the chain and get dragged around the sprocket it F@@KIN hurts as a friend of mine found out when oiling his Maico chain.

Thank you everyone! I better get myself some lube and get on it then, I've been riding around for a couple of weeks in all weathers without even giving it a thought! I hadn't considered the chain tension either, how do I know if it needs adjusting - and is this an easy task? Would the chain tension have been checked on the MOT? I will have a read of the owners manual this afternoon when the kids are out and I can hear myself think! :rolleyes: I wonder if there is a member local to me that might be willing to show me how to undertake some basic maintenance tasks?

Er, lots of advice above, but, er, suppose i better say it, um, er.....scottoiler?

I fitted a scottoiler for the first time 12 years ago...... On the bikes i've had it fitted to i have wiped the crud off while washing the bike and...........

thats it, and i get 20k+ from my bike chains they stretch past their limit rather than wear out. There is a bit of splatter till you get it set right but that shows the chain is oiled AFAIC.

Also boring detail, WD40 and parafin can damage rubber and some synthetics, how many times do you see suitable for 'o' ring chains on lube, those little 'o' rings are delicate (ironicly) the wrong lube can either make them swell, or just as bad, crack. You may well be destroying them washing them in parifin and wd.

Cheaper chains, funnily enough will use cheaper 'o' rings so again be careful.

I also find my most effective tool for maintainance is the weekend wash and polish, you get up close and personal and tend to spot the loose fairing screw, slack adjusters etc when your next to your tools and can adjust at your liesure.

Thank you everyone! I better get myself some lube and get on it then, I've been riding around for a couple of weeks in all weathers without even giving it a thought! I hadn't considered the chain tension either, how do I know if it needs adjusting - and is this an easy task? Would the chain tension have been checked on the MOT? I will have a read of the owners manual this afternoon when the kids are out and I can hear myself think! :rolleyes:I wonder if there is a member local to me that might be willing to show me how to undertake some basic maintenance tasks?

Then fill out your profile properly, i'm guessing from your L plate epic your in Cheshire........ B)

Edit, nope wrong member thats georgie.... :rolleyes:

Then fill out your profile properly, i'm guessing from your L plate epic your in Cheshire........ B)

No, not in Cheshire, think you are thinking of someone else..! I will update my profile, I am in Stamford, Lincs...