1979 xs 250 fuel tap help.....I need help

seventies2stroke
This post is 4654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi to all,looking for a little help with my 79 xs 250,the bike drives me nuts at the moment,had a lot of starting problems,which have been sorted pretty much,new plugs,new points,new condenser,new plug caps etc & it was running fine,however at the moment even though the fuel should shut off automatically via the vacuum operated tap,it does'nt,I have fuel in the cylinders and of course the bike rarely starts,I have tried to use a rebuid kit on the fuel tap but it's still allowing fuel to pass and flood the carbs.My question is this does anyone know of another Yamaha fuel tap that will fit my tank and do away with the pain in the backside vacuum rubbish,I realise that I will have to blank off the vacuum pipe from the carb inlet,but that's easily done............please help cos I really would like to take a 14lb sledge hammer to the old fuel tap and beat it into a million pieces....it would feel soooo good....thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

..........please help cos I really would like to take a 14lb sledge hammer to the old fuel tap and beat it into a million pieces....it would feel soooo good....thank you

Please...if you do that...just place it onto the CZ175 Trail and video it for us :D

Definately not right as the fuel should only flow in the On and Reserve position with the engine running. You could perhaps find another s/h tap or find a conventional tap like an early aircooled RD250/400 one as long as the distance from the holes is the same I can't see a problem. Remembering to blank the stub on the inlet manifold.

Definately not right as the fuel should only flow in the On and Reserve position with the engine running. You could perhaps find another s/h tap or find a conventional tap like an early aircooled RD250/400 one as long as the distance from the holes is the same I can't see a problem. Remembering to blank the stub on the inlet manifold.

Ok thanks,I was hoping someone might of had expierience of fitting a conventional tap,but I will measure the distance between the holes and start looking..........

Ok thanks,I was hoping someone might of had expierience of fitting a conventional tap,but I will measure the distance between the holes and start looking..........

recheck you built it right. I did mine and took a few goes to get it right, usually the holey disk is put in wrong.

If you still have no joy, I think I have a spare 2nd hand one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online