My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3550 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'll give it a shot on my lunch tomorrow. Got all 48 spokes. In now, just gotta true it up now. Should be fun

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No i cant mate not at work, ill see if i can get it on my phone tonight. and Lassy cant watch videos at work either now so will check it out as well tonight.

bit of a wierd one last night as i got all 48 spokes in and turned the nippples 2 turns each so they where all even, then marked a start point then went round turning them all 5 turns each untill they started to pull in, now they are all done up as far as the threads on the spokes can go yet its still loose???

Gunna have to spend some more time on it tomoorow night, aint giving up on this

Mmmm, looking at your wheel and the result you have got I would say you have not got the hub to rim laced correctly, I used to build mountain bike wheels and its so easy to be one hole out and not realise until you go to tighten the whole thing up.

Did you take a picky before you took it apart?

Yer maybe a hole out, but all the short head spokes are all in the middle two holes of the 4 hole pattern and same with the long head spokes to the outter two holes and all matched up to there prefered angled hole. Once id done the first 24 i found the valve hole and then started to lace up by putting the next spoke in at the 0628 possition (if you look at it like a clock face) and went on my way.

Every time i stuck a spoke in i put a nipple on and done it up 2 turns so as to keep every thing even, then went round and done all of them up 5 turns each.

Only pic i have of it before i took it apart is this one

DSC_0176_zps82e7a5c4.jpg

Yer i fucked up :eusa_whistle:

Spoking a wheel................................take two :shakeno::eusa_doh::sigh2::tantrum::crying:

I hope you measured any rim offset too before de-lacing it!

SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

They will never know

Woo hoo!!! spoke are all back in, she's trued up now just a matter of doing the spokes up tight.

Then its onto sorting out the brake cylinder and caliper as thats long over due.

Ordered my dinky handle bar switches on Friday and the man has been making them up all week end so im hoping to get them Wednesday, then its onto sealing the fuel tank, new speedo, new rear mudgaurd, twisted steel sissy bar, (got fucked off with the chain) Indicators and exhaust wrap. Then its onto paint and assemble Tax and MOT job done (I hope)

Not by a long shot Lassy, March is the goal. Found a old white board in the skip at work today which is going up in the man cave tonight for my "to Do" list.

Been told by the wife i can buy one thing a month for the bike (but i may sneek in a few extras now and then)

Any one know where i can get chrome done? or has any one used the chrome spray paint??

if by crome spray you mean paint in a rattle can dont waste your money,i ve seen the profesional done stuff and looks just like the real thing but it dose wear like paint.

Welding a chain is hard the only way I found to keep it straight was to nail it to a board streched tight with a turn buckel and to keep tighting it after each weld,you can do it bud dont give up .O ya just had a thought havent seen anyone using a old drive chain in a while has to be lots to be had for free from a local shop,as your working in a shop does anyone tig weld there?

Drive chain? Do you mean using it for a sissy bar or to actually drive the bike? If it's the latter I can't do that as she is a shaft drive, I have pondered over loads of ideas for the sissy bar, chain of 50 cal rounds, twisted steel, big ass chain etc.

The chrome is for the sissy bar so if I gave it a heavy dose of clear coat should hold up?

The trick I found with the chrome sprays is to give it a buff up before you apply a clear coat.

is that with polish mate? or just some wet and dry?

If you polish it the paint won't stick!! I think he must mean just buff it with a cloth till it's sort of shiny as it can be?

If you polish it the paint won't stick!!

Yer thats what i was thinking. Guess a good going over with a micro fibre cloth will do the trick.

haha yes i meant a drive chain for the sissy bar.But how about insted of twisted steel use aluminum and pollish it not quite chrome but with a good polish it would be close and better than paint