My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3550 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well here we go again. Got home from work and was supposed to go to Karate but thought id get cracking with the bike instead. this only took me just over an hour and a half, all thats left on are the exhausts, foot pegs, engine and all the wiring and battery.

DSC_0073_zpsd2b12bca.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsc829c14f.jpg

DSC_0071_zpsc619d43c.jpg

DSC_0069_zps43628c74.jpg

But when i took the swing arm off i did notice that the shaft coupling housing is leaking oil???? hmm will have to investigate

DSC_0075_zpse922f1a2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well here we go again, Finally built the shed and moved every thing in, just waiting for my work mate to turn up so i can get the motor out and start stripping it down.

But to start with i thought id clean up the carbs

DSC_0092_zps25fd716e.jpg

DSC_0093_zpsa6413573.jpg

DSC_0094_zps350dc3ae.jpg

DSC_0095_zpsc03eb1fd.jpg

DSC_0096_zps805bc825.jpg

DSC_0099_zpscc715a9a.jpg

DSC_0100_zps1cf7d27d.jpg

DSC_0101_zpsf648c48f.jpg

And he has finally learnt that the shed is for quiet time and not for stealing my spanners and burying them in the ground

DSC_0098_zps2d97ad93.jpg

More to be done over the weekend and any other time i can get out there during the week.

Might be slow progress tho so bear with

Here is what the engine looks like now. Put my daughter to bed after her bath then cracked on!

Got loads more pics which I'll post later

DSC_0125_zps97fbba00.jpg

Ive been busy in the man cave this weekend.

Shopping list so far is.

New Gasket set,

New piston rings

Might be a few more bits to come when i strip her down further.

Cam chain cover off

DSC_0124_zps39790b23.jpg

Rear cylinder at TDC (rear has a T | )

DSC_0118_zps1edfdc8c.jpg

Cam Chain Cog bolt off

DSC_0117_zpsbb5c6a50.jpg

Cam Chain Cog off

DSC_0120_zps26e778e0.jpg

DSC_0123_zps8f0faede.jpg

Top end off

DSC_0127_zps5ef8e084.jpg

DSC_0125_zps97fbba00.jpg

DSC_0126_zpse3316cfb.jpg

More Pics to come as i now have the barrel off and piston exposed etc etc.

Well done a little bit more last night, turned the top end over and poured some fuel into the pot to see if the valves are seating ok and thankfully they are fine! that tapping from the valve arm has gone so not sure what that was all about.

Here be some more pics

Valve arms out

DSC_0015_zps670c2347.jpg

DSC_0013_zps4721ef4e.jpg

Cam shaft out

DSC_0016_zps4888fdd8.jpg

DSC_0014_zps4bdc7794.jpg

Then whilst i was having a little break i got thinking about port and polishing and had a quick google to refresh my memory on the subject and though "maybe i could". So while the engine is out and able to sit on my lap i had a good look in the exhaust and inlet manifold and too my suprise there is a fair bit of metal that could potentually go and give a better flow of gasses.

So i started with the exhaust before and after. (still got to clean this one up a bit tho)

DSC_0018_zps9943b2ee.jpg

DSC_0019_zps1bc6cce6.jpg

Having the night off tonight as im off to karate but ill be back on it tomorrow and i have a week off in Aug so will get some more cranked out then

Well the port and poplishing is going well (forgot to take pics tho so will do that tonight), but then the chuck on my Dremel decided to split and throw the bit out across the shed so untill i get a new one this will have to be put on hold :madflame: .

So tonight once my daughter is in bed i shall crack on stripping / inspecting a bit more and clean them before i start to reasemble with new parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally got a new Dremel and its actually better that my old one so im quite happy that it broke. bit more investigating and cleaning has been done and im please to say ive found where that tapping was coming from! Big Ends have gone in the front Cylinder so now gotta strip the whole lot down :( so will not be on the road this year. Will up load video onto You tube tonight and post

Rear Cylinder nearly finished

DSC_0030_zps1b199479.jpg

Work mate i got from the dump for free!

DSC_0021_zps6c8ee894.jpg

Front and rears cylinders off

DSC_0026_zps134b38dc.jpg

Primary cover off

DSC_0029_zps6d2698c5.jpg

Other side off

DSC_0027_zps04817b75.jpg

New crank and con rods on there way.

Well guys this is the result of being a twat and not checking / changing your oil.

Oil and filter change = £30

New crank and con rods = £430

Your choice. I broke mine so you don't have to! Cause I'm that nice.

Thanks Tommy, so far im rather happy with my self as this is the first time i have ever stripped an engine and im not even a mechanic nor have i ever done a course on mechanics ha ha. Must say tho with the help of a Haynes manuel it is quite simples and not forgetting the help on here too.

Here are a few more pics of the progress

Clutch and oil pump bits n bobs out

DSC_0032_zpsc47021bd.jpg

Front Con rod

DSC_0034_zpsfa9b7470.jpg

Rear Con Rod

DSC_0033_zpsf8255e99.jpg

Starter motor before

DSC_0040_zps0e3e1b29.jpg

After (but needs more coats)

DSC_0041_zpsab6e033a.jpg

Thought id give this stuff a bash for a change

DSC_0042_zps79d95475.jpg

going well, don't forget that BBQ paint needs a lot of heat to cure and Its supposed to be done within an hour of being painted (well my stuff did)

I've always been good at taking things apart, its putting them back together without having bits left over where I struggle lol

• Like 1

going well, don't forget that BBQ paint needs a lot of heat to cure and Its supposed to be done within an hour of being painted (well my stuff did)

Na this BBQ paint says you spray it on (as you do) leave till touch dry and add more coats, then leave to dry over night then light your BBQ to burn off excess fumes before you cook. But it pretty much was touch dry within 3 mins.

Yer i know what you mean Tommy, hopefully i wont be stood infront of a fully built engine with a piston in my hand scratching my head ha ha

Well what and eventfull night i had last night!

Lets set the scene, Im in the shed having a pre mission smoke looking at the task in hand (pulling off the fly wheel) and checking out the puller my mate at work lent me and listening to ACDC on Planet Rock. Dog is asleep on the floor by the desk and oil catch tin still located under the work mate catching the tiniest dregs of oil.

So i attach the hydrolic puller thats in the tool box and start winding it up, keep winding, keep winding, keep winding, then i start to think this surely has to go by now!! so standing up, with puller / fly wheel etc now perfectly enlined with my gentlemans sausage i gave the flywheel a little tweek with a near by spanner........ :eusa_snooty: not cool

The thing shoots off at lightning speed, smacks me in the nuts, flywheel hits the oil pan sending oil every where, the dog shits its self and bolts out the door, im now on the floor trying to save the remainder of my man hood then the puppy runs in and starts humping my head.

Any way after a drink of Strongbow here is how she looks now.

DSC_0066_zps180071aa.jpg

DSC_0070_zps7db1d08d.jpg

DSC_0074_zps5638eb24.jpg

DSC_0071_zps176898de.jpg

DSC_0067_zps55802573.jpg

DSC_0073_zps0393e4f2.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsb1f09360.jpg

• Like 1

Good thing you've got a little one already... were you planning on more kids? :biglaugha:

Seriously though looks like you're moving right along. I better get my butt in gear or you will have it done before me. :eusa_think:

Yer the left nut sickle is still a tad tender but at least that sickly feeling has gone lol.

Well I still have a long way to go. Powder coat, gaskets, etc etc