My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys, well after some nagging and also out of sheer bordom at work i thought i'd start a thread of my new projectits gunna take a while to finish as most of the big stuff will happen over the winter period when she is off the road.

Well it all started last year when i past my CBT and bought my self a XVS 125 Dragstar from Fowlers in bristol but due to me wanting something different i then set about turning that into a bobber and hand building pretty much every thing on it from the handle bar risers (my mate built them) all the way to me doing the seat click link to see it now for sale http://www.vandjsuperbikes.co.uk/new_bike_detail.php?bike_id=565&type=used&cat_id=142

So after this i rode about a little (as you do) and then the inevitable happens......i got bored and wanted faster and more torque so thats when i got my direct access done and passed with no faults at all on both Mod 1 and 2 so i was more than happy with that result and then it was stright down to the garage to buy the XVS650! SE WAS (AND STILL IS SLIGHTLY) in a bad way due to the previous owner miss treating her and not washing it or any thing again click the link to see the state of her http://www.vandjsuperbikes.co.uk/new_bike_detail.php?bike_id=508&type=used&cat_id=142

Well the first thing on the jobs to do was taking all that crap off of it and make her lighter and look a little more like a bike and less like a two wheeled house! spot lights met a 2.5lb hammer as they where no use to man nor beast but the sissy bar, engine crash bar, panya rests and the floor boards have now found a new owner who is Nickybwild on here. (pleasure doing business with you mate) i then gave her a much needed wash and polish which took me 2.5 hours just to do the polishing! the paint just kept soaking up the polish it a flash!

So that was the 1st few days of owner ship with her and it was fantastic, actually being able to go to work up hills and not loose power! still getting used to the weight of her and leaning it into the corners more now thinking i will need new keals on my boots soon as i keep draging them on the tarmac as i go round sertain bends lol.

last weekend i had my new set of handle bars delivered which i got off Amazon for £70 and they are 39" wide glide flier bars in matt black and are fantastic, also managed to get my bar end indectors on but just need to get some 1.2 ohm resistor put into the lines as they are blinking a bit faster than they should.

O i will add now that i will up load some pics some time this week as i need to find the lead to conect my phone to my laptop.

So the jobs to be done in the very near future are:

Powder coat the frame (x-mas time)

New bobber rear fender

New exhausts (delivered today)

White exhaust wrap (doing this week end)

Hypercharger or cone air filter (not sure yet)

Engine tart up

re-paint the tins ice white and gloss black with a pin strip pattern

New seat

HEL braided brake line

Things i want to get if money allows me:

Springer front end

Fat rear wheel kit including swing arm etc (BIG MAYBE)

These last two things are "long term goals" so could happen next year or the year after, and if i do get a springer front end then i will be running her on a day time MOT so i can get rid of the front light so you can see her in all her glory!

well i have yipped on long enough so gunna shut up now, i will up load pics as and when i can as i have a 2 month old babe as she takes up a fair bit of my time as you would expect.

All the best

Keith

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

KEITH my man! GREAT to see you have started a thread for your bobber project – you’ve got a fair bit to do but it’s already looking like a BEAST! I’ve still got those pic’s you sent to my phone – let me know if you want me to upload them

Look forward to seeing this thread progress – you’ve definitely inspired me to start thinking about my first bobber project but seeing as I’ve just acquired some of your spares (THANKS AGAIN BY THE WAY), then I may as well go about making my 650 look like a “two wheeled house” HAHAHA!!! Maybe one day I will pass them onto someone else on here and start my own thread ay ;)

GOODLUCK mate – I know the bike is gona be a winner!!!!

Nick

Yer there i s a wee bit to do but as long as i can get it into my conservatory next to the radiator at least i will be warm when doing it lol

why not intergrate the parts into a bobber/chopper? there are loads of style out there you could do that still enables you to have pillions and that, just need to do some resurch (sorry bout the spelling dislexia kicking in)

If you wanna up loads the pics your more than welcome when the weather gets better i will uncover her and take some more as i put on my new exhausts and that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys well some more parts arrived last week i was trying to up load some pictures but photobucket is being a twat so i will have to do them when i get home from work.

The springer front end is on going i have found a company thet do them but still gotta find time at work to phone them and talk to a guy who will tell me if it will fit the dragstar. Those bar end indicators where shit! so they are off and a set of billet ally grips with built in indicators are on.

The high way hawk exhaust you see in the pics above are off and a set of long shot Raasks are now on with white (now straw colour) ehaust wrap is now on, the pipes will be powder coated black and then re-wrapped as im not 100% happy with the look yet but least its stopping my jeans catching fire when im fueling in a petrol station! (and yes this very nearly happened wasn't till i sore the black smoke i realised i was going up lol...desaster avoided tho) :rolleyes:

A raw steel stealth fender was next to be delivered but had rusty finger prints all over it so i had to get some anti-rust primer on it after attacking it with some 250 grit.

Next is to sort out a rear light (not sure what to do yet) sort out this springer fork set up, test fit rear fender and then just wait till winter to get every thing stripped, prep'd, painted and re-built.

Pictures to follow

Aye " tiz a grand lookn beast , keep the pics coming as she gets near completion, ;)

just remember less is more! :D

and please tell me your going to keep it white! .........looks nice B)

oh and e-bay was my freind for finding a rear light when i built mine, click me

and this is what it looks like on the bike

IMG0118A.jpg

I do agree less is more and thats what im going for, its staying mostly white but im adding bits of black and a secret othet colour lol

Will get some pics up soon.

Right here goes with some more pics,

Here are the new exhausts with the wrap, most likely will be geting them powder coated black and then re-wrap them but will only be half of what ive wraped now,

mms_img-1082625886.jpg

mms_img505307277.jpg

Ive changed the bulls eye bar end indecators with some billet ally grips with built in flashers (bit cold in the winter i think lol)

mms_img530323057.jpg

Will be getting some new mirrors soon.

Now here is my rear fender, i sill got a ton of work to do to it but its getting there!

Cut out for the swing arm

mms_img-1983692486.jpg

mms_img-1176809457.jpg

2hours of tape messring and tape

mms_img1486344164.jpg

mms_img2018157445.jpg

And then after cutting,

mms_img6473488.jpg

Still need to grind it to make it neat etc but the shape is there. Here it is on the bike.

mms_img-924359460.jpg

mms_img-1032438319.jpg

Its gunna be painted black so it blends in with the tyre so it will seem as tho there is no fender, and i will add some white pin striping patterns to it.

Next on the shopping list is rear light, and a bobber seat. O and the springer forks lol

Right here goes with some more pics,

Here are the new exhausts with the wrap, most likely will be geting them powder coated black and then re-wrap them but will only be half of what ive wraped now,

mms_img-1082625886.jpg

mms_img505307277.jpg

Ive changed the bulls eye bar end indecators with some billet ally grips with built in flashers (bit cold in the winter i think lol)

mms_img530323057.jpg

Will be getting some new mirrors soon.

Now here is my rear fender, i sill got a ton of work to do to it but its getting there!

Cut out for the swing arm

mms_img-1983692486.jpg

mms_img-1176809457.jpg

2hours of tape messring and tape

mms_img1486344164.jpg

mms_img2018157445.jpg

And then after cutting,

mms_img6473488.jpg

Still need to grind it to make it neat etc but the shape is there. Here it is on the bike.

mms_img-924359460.jpg

mms_img-1032438319.jpg

Its gunna be painted black so it blends in with the tyre so it will seem as tho there is no fender, and i will add some white pin striping patterns to it.

Next on the shopping list is rear light, and a bobber seat. O and the springer forks lol

this is lookin cool man lookin forward to some more pics soon

Hi Guys, well here is a very quick update on whats happened this week, rear light was ordered Tuesday after 2 weeks of thinking what i liked how they would look and price etc etc and it was delivered yesterday morning. So being as i turn into a kid every time a parcel is delivered i had to start mocking it up onto the fender :D so here are a few snaps of it after 2.5hours with the dremal and about 20-30 dremal cutting discs lol

mms_img-238624602.jpg

mms_img225256689.jpg

I will pop it on the bike on the week end and take more pics as i still need to do bit more cutting then need to sort out the angle it need to be at etc.

i finaly found my seat after a good long hunt. not arrived yet as its coming all the way from the USA! its a black leather hand tooled solo seat with the malteze cross and a few skulls in it so should go nicely with the old bad ass bobber theame. There are two was in which im mounting the seat tho, with the rear fender im not having any "stays" holding it up (poles going down to the rear wheel spindle nut) im doing it so that it apears to be floating above the wheel, so the same will go with the seat so im either having a tractor seat leaf spring so there will be no springs on show OR i will mount a 4" mini mono shock under the seat but up near the tank end so the rear of the seat will look as tho its hovering. But we will see.

More pics to follo next week.

Stay tuned B)

Hi Guys,

Right i fitted the rear light then checked it out on the bike, looks good but now im gunne weld the fender back up so the light is flat against the fender as once i made the wedge up the fender is gunna look too bulky so all i will do now is make up a number plate braket out of ally so that its not facing the sky and "PC i have nothing to do plod" has no excuse to pull me over for my number plate.

Pics of how the light will look

mms_img296400078.jpg

mms_img604035271.jpg

I finally got rounf to grinding back the fender so it has a nice curve instead of the jaggy lines.

Before

mms_img-796645251.jpg

AFTER

mms_img-138582362.jpg

My seat has left Chicargo so im hoping to get that some time this month but all depends how our customs react with it! i have gone with the normal bobber seat springs as i couldn't for the life of me find a small enough tractor seat leaf spring! but i will keep looking in the mean time, and if i do find one then these ones i have now will be for sale!

Well thats it for now folks its all a waiting game till the seat gets here as i cant do any thing till it gets here <_< So if customs are reading this............HURRY THE F**k UP! :angry:

A quick for sale guys............my Billit Ally grips with built it indecators are now for sale (the ones you see in the above picture) only been on the bike for less than 100 miles! changing them due to the fact i am a bloke and i can change my mind at a drop of a hat plus they dont look right with the style im going for.Very easy to fit! pull old grips off, Take off front and rear indecators, fit 2.2ohm resistors in where the rear indercators wired up via male bullet connectors, extend front indecator wire through handle bars connect to grips via two more male bullet connectors, connect up throttle. left hand grip 10x easier to fit!...........Job Jobbed!

£30 with FREE P&P

If you would like to know what im like with postage please talk to Nickybewild on here as i sold a lot of my old stuff to him.

Best regards

Keith

Has any one here got a set of stock front foot pegs they want shot of? its just im fed up of dragging my feet round every corner/round about i go round and id rather pay for a set of foot pegs then a pair of new boots lol.

O and a quick up date, i have my bobber seat springs, the seat should be out of customs today and my new grips and iridium indicators should be here tomorrow so with a bit of luck next week end (13/8/11) i can finish the mock up and get cracking on paint etc.

Then it will be onto the fuel tank which is coming off paint stripped off and then re-painted. Front fender will have the treatment after that and that will do till the winter i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys well its been a little while since i was last on here just been little busy with the fender and my baby daughter.

Well i finally got my single seat through from Chicargo only took 2 weeks! got snapped by import charges tho :( but hey ho, the springs i got wont fit as the mountin point on the frame is further forward that the mountin points on the seat so im just gunna mount it straight to the bike frame as the bike has got a mono shock so no point in adding more springs.

As i said at the start ive done a bit more to the fender and its coming along nicely, needs a bit more work buts so is life. I trimmed round the light and got my mate to weld a plate round and then i got out the old angle grinder to get rid of the lumps and bumps. Once i was happy with that it was out with the filler to blend the light into the fender, so now all thats left to do is more wet and dry sanding followed by primmer and paint.

Just got a set of small black bar end mirrors so i no longer see elbow just the road behind. Well i will now let the pictures do some talking.

mms_img-451420179.jpg

mms_img-265586460.jpg

mms_img-669412462.jpg

mms_img-694727624.jpg

mms_img302038836.jpg

mms_img-130452865.jpg

mms_img-56947212.jpg

mms_img1722150316.jpg

Well i will keep on with the old wet and dry and im hoping to get this on in the next few weeks.

Thanks for reading

Keith