My Bobber project

Noise
This post is 3550 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thanks its taking a while as im between doing the bike and looking after my 4 month old daughter but its getting there. Still got a lot of work to be done on the fender as one side of the filler is slightly higher than the other but it will get there.

I had a test fit of the fender and seat yesterday and she looked great!, (no pics tho sorry) the seat hight is fantastic, nice and low, all thats left to do now is make a braket for the seta to be fitted, front indicator bracket, finish fender ready for paint, take off fuel tank, strip then paint then see whats left in the bank for my springer front end if not that will come next year.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

that seat is fookin lovely tis gonna be an awesome looking bike lookin forward to the end result :)

Dave

Noise just skimmed the topic and you said you were powder coating the exhausts...forget it mate it wont take the heat, if you want black then buy plasticote BBQ paint from Wilkinsons stores ;)

Hey Mate, not there is a powder coat out there that can take the heat the only thing is that its from Sweeden and hard to come by, my Step dad used this on his 1988 Harley sporster's exhaust and i think the powder coater did say it is for BBQ's and could try it on the exhaust to see how it gose (got it done for free bar the powder lol) and its as good as the day it was done.

What is this plasticote BBQ paint from Wilkinsons like finish wise?

that seat is fookin lovely tis gonna be an awesome looking bike lookin forward to the end result

Dave

Thanks Dave, im almost done with this fucking fender! id say give me another week or two and it "should" be finished but still got a few brackets to make so i can fit the seat and front indicators, then ive decided to rivnut the fender on that way its easier to remove so i can change the wheel etc better and clean the swing arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys! well its been a while but i been busy with the old wet and dry and primer! :bawling: its gotta be the most boring teadious frustrating thing to do on a bike! but the end result is well worth it!

All that is left to do is to sort out some conectors for the wires to connect to the main wiring loom and sort out the brackets for my seat, fit my fork gaiters and re-paint my fuel tank.

well here are some pics of the fender start to finish.

mms_img-1983692486.jpg

mms_img-669412462.jpg

mms_img302038836.jpg

mms_img-56947212.jpg

mms_img383155263.jpg

mms_img-646008651.jpg

mms_img662682178.jpg

mms_img-698209839.jpg

mms_img-1877727374.jpg

mms_img212581108.jpg

I have a little orange peel on the top layer but thats nothing a little 2000grit cant solve. All comments truly welcome.

Cheers

Keith

wow it looks like black chrome from the pictures, get it flatted and a few coats of clear. good job :thumb:

Some MOT places bang a 1" red reflector disc on the number plate, if you ask them nicely

Thanks for the replies, i have clear coated it today n just waiting for it to dry and cure, i have two of those zit looking reflectors in the shead so i will wack one on the number plate so Mr MOT man and PC plod is happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Well its been a while and the fender needs re-doing as numb nuts here chipped the paint right down to the primer! (yay!) :'( but this is gunna wait till she is off the road, i need a new number plate as that is now all over the A303 lol

I need to make up some better fender stays as the ones i have on there now are a tempery job and the holes are starting to elongate and the fender is jumping around. So with a bit of luck i can get these sorted ready for this week end as there is a rall / protest up at podimore round about on the A303 about the cops / government stopping us from modifying our bikes.

Pics to follow

Lovely looking bike you have there Keith.

I'm local to you and have a similar beast but in black. Would be interested in meeting up and seeing what you've achieved and talking shop at some stage.

Loving the bobber look. Mine was done before I bought it so all personal touches I make are minor in comparison to what you've been through.

Looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

Auzz

Hay mate thanks for the comments, yer def up for a meet, (well hopfully will see ya this sunday) where bouts in Somerset are you?

Love to see some pics of your bobber.

Loving the attention to detail on the welding/fillering. It's like watching American Chopper but with a South West accent and a pint of rough in my hand!!! Keep up the good work as I'm loving your thread and updates :)

Hay mate thanks for the comments, yer def up for a meet, (well hopfully will see ya this sunday) where bouts in Somerset are you?

Love to see some pics of your bobber.

I'm right under Ham Hill in Stoke. I fix them annoying noisy things that constantly plague the skies of Yeovil and surrounding areas for the Navy!

Will post some pics in the gallery soon.

Auzz

Loving the attention to detail on the welding/fillering. It's like watching American Chopper but with a South West accent and a pint of rough in my hand!!! Keep up the good work as I'm loving your thread and updates :)

Lol maybe i need to speak to the discovery channel and get my own show lol, could call it "Farmer county choppers!" lol i will finish off the bits i need this week end and take some more snaps n up date the thread before the winter strip down!

I'm right under Ham Hill in Stoke. I fix them annoying noisy things that constantly plague the skies of Yeovil and surrounding areas for the Navy!

Will post some pics in the gallery soon.

Auzz

Ok mate well what i will do is bang out these temporay fender stays and will message you tonight at 1900hrs and maybe arrange a meet at ASDA petrol station Sunday n ride out to Podimore if you like?

Hey guys,

Well i managed to get to do some stuff to the bike tonight but only put my fork gaiters on but still a big job, i also popped on some big heat shrink to get shot of more chrome and also it will help to protect the forks to weather.

here are some pics

mms_img-205623766.jpg

mms_img-1362190995.jpg

mms_img143290936.jpg

mms_img-1998691034.jpg

The yokes will be powder coated matt black this winter to keep with the theme. Next up is the fender stays and i may add a old skool mini wire sissy bar???? Not sure yet tho, bit more photoshop to make my mind up

Just tuned in for the lastest episode of Farmer County Choppers and I must say it's looking mean. I love the dinky indicators, on such a meaty bike they seem just right. Also liking the idea of the sissy bar, nothing too over the top, nothing that will serve any purpose whatsoever but something just to make you stand back and look at it and go "I did that" :headbang:

Do it, you know you want to :praying:

Looked amazing on the ride out on sunday Keith. Very impressed.

Dunno if you could do anything with these? Should be of similar size to what you're after?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XS-1100-complete-footrests-chop-chopper-project-bobber-/180718965396?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a13b09294#ht_500wt_1156

Right with only around 1 month of riding weather left of this year (if that snow dose arrive that is) it will soon be time to SORN the bobber and start the long old strip and re-build, so im starting to think of colours? its gotta be "bad ass"

so im thinking:

*Satin black frame with matt green tins.

*Go all black with satin black frame, gloss black tins with matt black engine parts.

*Matt black frame with pearl white and gloss black tins

*Statin black frame and a dark matt Orange tins

*Matt black frame with desert cammo cream on the tins (like OCC did for there latest help 4 heros bike) 5816495604_4c80647474.jpg

I will be talking to the chap on my Ebay about this springer from end in the coming month once i have paid the credit card off from buying my nice new 2.5 V6 car (dribbles) then the springer is next on the shopping list!