XVS650 RUST REMOVAL & REPAINT

Nickybwild
This post is 4626 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello!

Hope you are all well!

I've noticed some areas of rusting on the wheels of my XVS650 as well as on the frame (swing arm section) and was wondering if anyone has delt with the problem before?

I know there are many different options (steel wool, sandpaper, vinegar, foil and coke!), however, my plan was to try the following:

FRAME:

Rub down with steel brush

Clean with soapy water

Rub with sandpaper/copper wool

Apply Vactan

Paint over

Anyone have any thoughts on how effective the above might be? Not sure if anyone has used Vactan or a similar rust converter? I've heard good things though. I would need to repaint after application - does anyone know the paint code or where I can get matching paint for my black xvs650? A brush on would be easier than a spray on.

WHEELS:

Now this is going to be a little harder as the rust is on some of the spokes. I could brush off as much rust as I can, vactan and then paint with Steel Wheels. Has anyone used this or similar paint? Does it actually recreate that steel colour well??? Another option is to paint black or another colour and then clear coat?

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any decent products which might help?

As always - MUCH appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello!

Hope you are all well!

I've noticed some areas of rusting on the wheels of my XVS650 as well as on the frame (swing arm section) and was wondering if anyone has delt with the problem before?

I know there are many different options (steel wool, sandpaper, vinegar, foil and coke!), however, my plan was to try the following:

FRAME:

Rub down with steel brush

Clean with soapy water

Rub with sandpaper/copper wool

Apply Vactan

Paint over

Anyone have any thoughts on how effective the above might be? Not sure if anyone has used Vactan or a similar rust converter? I've heard good things though. I would need to repaint after application - does anyone know the paint code or where I can get matching paint for my black xvs650? A brush on would be easier than a spray on.

WHEELS:

Now this is going to be a little harder as the rust is on some of the spokes. I could brush off as much rust as I can, vactan and then paint with Steel Wheels. Has anyone used this or similar paint? Does it actually recreate that steel colour well??? Another option is to paint black or another colour and then clear coat?

Does anyone have any ideas or know of any decent products which might help?

As always - MUCH appreciated!

www.rsbikepaint.co.uk

I just clean the bike and polish with Autosol on the chrome.

I have heard of 'Ku-rust' being used with great success.

i used a grinder on the swingarm, took all the paint and rust off so it was all back to bare metal, then rubbed it all down with sand paper to take out the grinder marks then painted.

i used a red oxide metal primer and hamerite though.....then clear coated

as to the wheels i attacked them with a wire brush on a drill then sand paper on each spoke (took a while) coated in hamerite special metals primer then painted with enamel spray paint.. :blink:

as long as you put a couple of coats of primer, then a few layers of paint then clear coat it should look good as new....or just get it powder coated?

and as long as you take the rust off and dont let it in contact with moisture you shouldnt need a rust treatment.

Thanks guys - Much appreciated!

Think I am going to have to opt for the wire brush and sandpaper. Has anyone heard of or used VACTAN? I've heard great things about that product - may give that a whirl too. It eats/converts the rust and turns it black and primed ready to paint.

Paul - what enamel paint did you use on the spokes and was it steel coloured?

THANKS!

i went for gloss red with matt black spokes but with the clear coat the matt went glossy :lol:

i just used cheep rattle can spray paint from wilkos its lasted for a good 6 months but its developing cracks <_<

as to steel colour paint .....you might find it turns into a dull grey. but if you use sand paper and sand it back it should go back to bare metal again then just clear coat it :D

i havent used that particular rust treatment but i have used the locktite version with good results ;)

100_1693.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not needing to do this with my bike but on the wheels of my motorhome I used Jenolite rust converter ( I also use this as flux when I am soldering) and having tried a few steel wheel colours in the past I opted for Platicote Chrome spray, its not a bright as proper chrome but it is a much brighter finish that any of the silvers I have tried.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online